FreeBSD Stable production version.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

FreeBSD Stable production version.

Marwan Sultan

Hello all and Good Morning, Afternoon or evening :)
 
 I finally decided to take off my FreeBSD 7.2 server which is onlin esince 2009.
 
 I will go for a new FreeBSD version and will move out all data.
 
 My Server is mainly is a MAIL server, sendmail.
 and ofcourse few websites, data.etc..
 
 Which version do you recommend?
 Shall I go for 9 ?
 or 8.3 is still more fit for a production and bsns server ?
 
 Thank you.
-marwan Sultan    _______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FreeBSD Stable production version.

Damien Fleuriot-2


On 7/25/12 1:13 PM, Marwan Sultan wrote:

>
> Hello all and Good Morning, Afternoon or evening :)
>  
>  I finally decided to take off my FreeBSD 7.2 server which is onlin esince 2009.
>  
>  I will go for a new FreeBSD version and will move out all data.
>  
>  My Server is mainly is a MAIL server, sendmail.
>  and ofcourse few websites, data.etc..
>  
>  Which version do you recommend?
>  Shall I go for 9 ?
>  or 8.3 is still more fit for a production and bsns server ?
>  


I'd say it's a matter of personal preference.

We're mostly running 8.3 in production here.


I've recently installed 9-STABLE servers to try them out and fill PRs if
I get problems.


I would encourage you to use 9-STABLE so that you may do the same and
ensure the stability of future releases.

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FreeBSD Stable production version.

Jerry
On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 13:19:53 +0200
Damien Fleuriot articulated:

> I'd say it's a matter of personal preference.
>
> We're mostly running 8.3 in production here.
>
> I've recently installed 9-STABLE servers to try them out and fill PRs
> if I get problems.
>
> I would encourage you to use 9-STABLE so that you may do the same and
> ensure the stability of future releases.

I would agree with that philosophy up to a point. It is definitely a
matter of personal preference; however, for myself, I NEVER install
version X.0 of any software if said software is to be used in a mission
critical situation. I always wait until X.1 is released. If possible in
your case, would it be feasible to wait until 9.1 is released? You
can gather some info on it here:
<http://www.freebsd.org/releases/9.1R/schedule.html>. As usual, any
correlation between the expected release date and the actual date is
purely coincidental. Just my 2¢ on the matter.

--
Jerry ♔

Disclaimer: off-list followups get on-list replies or get ignored.
Please do not ignore the Reply-To header.
__________________________________________________________________
If you steal from one author it's plagiarism; if you steal from
many it's research.
        Wilson Mizner

signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: FreeBSD Stable production version.

Marwan Sultan

Well, I also like your philosophy of waiting x.1 !
its a very good point.
 
Maybe 8.3-R would be the best.
 
I will wait to hear more comments.
 

> Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 08:13:28 -0400
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: FreeBSD Stable production version.
>
> On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 13:19:53 +0200
> Damien Fleuriot articulated:
>
> > I'd say it's a matter of personal preference.
> >
> > We're mostly running 8.3 in production here.
> >
> > I've recently installed 9-STABLE servers to try them out and fill PRs
> > if I get problems.
> >
> > I would encourage you to use 9-STABLE so that you may do the same and
> > ensure the stability of future releases.
>
> I would agree with that philosophy up to a point. It is definitely a
> matter of personal preference; however, for myself, I NEVER install
> version X.0 of any software if said software is to be used in a mission
> critical situation. I always wait until X.1 is released. If possible in
> your case, would it be feasible to wait until 9.1 is released? You
> can gather some info on it here:
> <http://www.freebsd.org/releases/9.1R/schedule.html>. As usual, any
> correlation between the expected release date and the actual date is
> purely coincidental. Just my 2¢ on the matter.
>
> --
> Jerry ♔
>
> Disclaimer: off-list followups get on-list replies or get ignored.
> Please do not ignore the Reply-To header.
> __________________________________________________________________
> If you steal from one author it's plagiarism; if you steal from
> many it's research.
>
> Wilson Mizner
     
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FreeBSD Stable production version.

Damien Fleuriot-2
While I participate in this philosophy, a very good point was made on
this list that if everyone waits for x.1 , then x.1 will just be riddled
with all the bugs that nobody (or only a select few) found in x.0

That is the point that decided me to get 9-STABLE for 2 of our new
firewall boxes.


On 7/25/12 2:24 PM, Marwan Sultan wrote:

>
> Well, I also like your philosophy of waiting x.1 !
> its a very good point.
>  
> Maybe 8.3-R would be the best.
>  
> I will wait to hear more comments.
>  
>
>> Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 08:13:28 -0400
>> From: [hidden email]
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: FreeBSD Stable production version.
>>
>> On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 13:19:53 +0200
>> Damien Fleuriot articulated:
>>
>>> I'd say it's a matter of personal preference.
>>>
>>> We're mostly running 8.3 in production here.
>>>
>>> I've recently installed 9-STABLE servers to try them out and fill PRs
>>> if I get problems.
>>>
>>> I would encourage you to use 9-STABLE so that you may do the same and
>>> ensure the stability of future releases.
>>
>> I would agree with that philosophy up to a point. It is definitely a
>> matter of personal preference; however, for myself, I NEVER install
>> version X.0 of any software if said software is to be used in a mission
>> critical situation. I always wait until X.1 is released. If possible in
>> your case, would it be feasible to wait until 9.1 is released? You
>> can gather some info on it here:
>> <http://www.freebsd.org/releases/9.1R/schedule.html>. As usual, any
>> correlation between the expected release date and the actual date is
>> purely coincidental. Just my 2¢ on the matter.
>>
>> --
>> Jerry ♔
>>
>> Disclaimer: off-list followups get on-list replies or get ignored.
>> Please do not ignore the Reply-To header.
>> __________________________________________________________________
>> If you steal from one author it's plagiarism; if you steal from
>> many it's research.
>>
>> Wilson Mizner
>      
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> [hidden email] mailing list
> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
> To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
>
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FreeBSD Stable production version.

Odhiambo Washington-4
In reply to this post by Marwan Sultan
On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 3:24 PM, Marwan Sultan <[hidden email]>wrote:

>
> Well, I also like your philosophy of waiting x.1 !
> its a very good point.
>
> Maybe 8.3-R would be the best.
>
> I will wait to hear more comments.
>
>
For cowards, yes!

Whoever said that -RELEASE is bad is a joker, too.

Now, what the hell do you think can go so wrong on a Mail server running
Sendmail and Apache?

Network stack??



--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,
Nairobi,KE
+254733744121/+254722743223
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I can't hear you -- I'm using the scrambler.
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FreeBSD Stable production version.

Erich Dollansky-2
In reply to this post by Damien Fleuriot-2
Hi,

On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 13:19:53 +0200
Damien Fleuriot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 7/25/12 1:13 PM, Marwan Sultan wrote:
> >
> > Hello all and Good Morning, Afternoon or evening :)
> >  
> >  I finally decided to take off my FreeBSD 7.2 server which is onlin
> > esince 2009.
> >  I will go for a new FreeBSD version and will move out all data.
> >  
> >  My Server is mainly is a MAIL server, sendmail.
> >  and ofcourse few websites, data.etc..
> >  
> >  Which version do you recommend?
> >  Shall I go for 9 ?
> >  or 8.3 is still more fit for a production and bsns server ?
> >  
>
>
> I'd say it's a matter of personal preference.
>
> We're mostly running 8.3 in production here.
>
I do not wonder. This is the best choice.

But I must say that I moved my machines now all to 10 and I am
surprised how robust it already is.

If robustness is the main concern, I would still recommend 8.x.

Erich
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FreeBSD Stable production version.

Jakub Lach
8.3 or 9.1.

Using 9.0 when 9.1 is behind the corner
is going backwards IMHO.

or 9-STABLE if you want your system
evolving up to release, which is nice
because you can catch and solve all
possible problems one at the time,
and not be overwhelmed upgrading
only to RELEASE.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FreeBSD Stable production version.

Wojciech Puchar-5
In reply to this post by Marwan Sultan
>
> I finally decided to take off my FreeBSD 7.2 server which is onlin esince 2009.
>
> I will go for a new FreeBSD version and will move out all data.
>
you mean just new freebsd or new server? if first there is no need to move
data at all

> Which version do you recommend?
> Shall I go for 9 ?
> or 8.3 is still more fit for a production and bsns server ?
i use 8.3

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FreeBSD Stable production version.

Paul Macdonald
In reply to this post by Jerry
On 25/07/2012 13:13, Jerry wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 13:19:53 +0200
> Damien Fleuriot articulated:
>
>> I'd say it's a matter of personal preference.
>>
>> We're mostly running 8.3 in production here.
>>
>> I've recently installed 9-STABLE servers to try them out and fill PRs
>> if I get problems.
>>
>> I would encourage you to use 9-STABLE so that you may do the same and
>> ensure the stability of future releases.
> I would agree with that philosophy up to a point. It is definitely a
> matter of personal preference; however, for myself, I NEVER install
> version X.0 of any software if said software is to be used in a mission
> critical situation. I always wait until X.1 is released. If possible in
> your case, would it be feasible to wait until 9.1 is released? You
> can gather some info on it here:
> <http://www.freebsd.org/releases/9.1R/schedule.html>. As usual, any
> correlation between the expected release date and the actual date is
> purely coincidental. Just my 2¢ on the matter.
>

not disagreeing per se..but just a reminder that with the excellent
freebsd-update you get updates to 9.0 quickly ( i hadn't realised there
was 61 already)

from a new install earlier tonight

Inspecting system... done.
Preparing to download files... done.
Fetching 61 patches.....10....20....30....40....50....60 done.

Paul.



_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"