FreeBSD ZFS advocacy

k4t

FreeBSD ZFS advocacy

k4t
Hi,

I'm proposing to a medium size enterprise to use a FreeBSD ZFS
installation on commodity hardware for a NAS/SAN storage implementation.

The actual implementation is quite small itself, around 8-12TB usable
space presented as iSCSI or cifs, for a TV recording system, with a
second device of similar capacity for a backup.

However, the organisation is relatively conservative, and little
experience in Free software, with a background of purchasing proprietary
solutions.  Part of this particular solution would be to develop
the organisations skills and trust in Free software solutions, to help
them going forward in purchasing decisions.

I wonder if anyone has any user stories or blog posts etc, that they
could share, that would help provide some corroborating evidence for the
suitability of FreeBSD for this use.

Thanks in advance,

Kat
--
"The introduction of a coordinate system to geometry is an act of violence"

Re: FreeBSD ZFS advocacy

Kevin Zheng
Hi Kat,

I'm glad you (and your enterprise) are looking at FreeBSD!

On 03/30/2015 03:53, [hidden email] wrote:
> I'm proposing to a medium size enterprise to use a FreeBSD ZFS
> installation on commodity hardware for a NAS/SAN storage
> implementation.
>
> The actual implementation is quite small itself, around 8-12TB
> usable space presented as iSCSI or cifs, for a TV recording system,
> with a second device of similar capacity for a backup.

A good starting point is FreeNAS [1], a storage solution built on
FreeBSD and ZFS. Even if you're not looking at using FreeNAS itself,
there are a lot of testimonials and rationale for using FreeBSD as a
storage system in general. You may also want to look at the FreeBSD
advocacy page [2] if you haven't already.

Best of luck,
Kevin Zheng

[1] http://www.freenas.org/
[2] https://www.freebsd.org/advocacy/

--
Kevin Zheng
[hidden email] | [hidden email] | PGP: 0xC22E1090

Re: FreeBSD ZFS advocacy

Erich Dollansky-6

another attempt would be to promote ZFS and use FreeBSD as the vehicle
to bring ZFS into the game for a low price. The alternative would be
Sun/Oracle with a nice price tag.

Erich

 On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 09:53:05 +0100
[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm proposing to a medium size enterprise to use a FreeBSD ZFS
> installation on commodity hardware for a NAS/SAN storage
> implementation.
>
> The actual implementation is quite small itself, around 8-12TB usable
> space presented as iSCSI or cifs, for a TV recording system, with a
> second device of similar capacity for a backup.
>
> However, the organisation is relatively conservative, and little
> experience in Free software, with a background of purchasing
> proprietary solutions.  Part of this particular solution would be to
> develop the organisations skills and trust in Free software
> solutions, to help them going forward in purchasing decisions.
>
> I wonder if anyone has any user stories or blog posts etc, that they
> could share, that would help provide some corroborating evidence for
> the suitability of FreeBSD for this use.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Kat

Re: FreeBSD ZFS advocacy

David Chisnall-2
On 30 Mar 2015, at 21:36, Kevin Zheng <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03/30/2015 03:53, [hidden email] wrote:
>> I'm proposing to a medium size enterprise to use a FreeBSD ZFS
>> installation on commodity hardware for a NAS/SAN storage
>> implementation.
>>
>> The actual implementation is quite small itself, around 8-12TB
>> usable space presented as iSCSI or cifs, for a TV recording system,
>> with a second device of similar capacity for a backup.
>
> A good starting point is FreeNAS [1], a storage solution built on
> FreeBSD and ZFS. Even if you're not looking at using FreeNAS itself,
> there are a lot of testimonials and rationale for using FreeBSD as a
> storage system in general. You may also want to look at the FreeBSD
> advocacy page [2] if you haven't already.

You could also try contacting iX directly.  If your company likes proprietary solutions, then iX can sell you something that looks to management like a proprietary system, even if it doesn't to the people actually using it...

David

k4t

Re: FreeBSD ZFS advocacy

k4t
On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 09:53:05AM +0100, [hidden email] wrote:

> I wonder if anyone has any user stories or blog posts etc, that they
> could share, that would help provide some corroborating evidence for the
> suitability of FreeBSD for this use.

Thanks for all who responded on and off list.  I presented today and the
proposal was accepted.  The resources and amount and quality of documentation
in the FreeBSD handbook was really powerful in demonstrating that a Free
software solution could implemented and supported even though the
organisation does not have an existing skillset/culture of Free software
usage.

Regards,

Kat
--
"The introduction of a coordinate system to geometry is an act of violence"

Re: FreeBSD ZFS advocacy

Allen Kenner-2

> You could also try contacting iX directly.  If your company likes
> proprietary solutions, then iX can sell you something that looks to
> management like a proprietary system, even if it doesn't to the people
> actually using it...

Hahaha! I'm sorry to waste peoples tome with basically a giggle, but when I
read that line, I just instantly had a mental image of the usual pointy
haired moron managers all sitting around a boardroom table saying to one
person that FreeBSD being free must have no real value, and then 5 minutes
later someone showing then the same OS but with a price tag from a company
and then them all shaking their heads yes in agreement because the sticker
for the price tag is shiny and looks good. Lol, sorry about the basically
useless reply but it brightened my day and maybe by pointing it out, it may
brighten someone elses day as well.

Oh, and I'm sorry if this email displays bad; I'm writing this email with
my phone, and though I love AquaMail as an email client, it does have a few
quirks that can be odd.

For whatever it's worth to the OP; I've been using FreeBSD for a while, and
I bought my first version of it, which was FreeBSD 4.0-Current, in my
FreeBSD PowerPak. I was just getting into computers, and I was at Best Buy
of all places with my mom, and I just happened to see it on the shelf; The
FreeBSD PowerPak with FreeBSD 4.0-Current, and the book "The Compete
FreeBSD". I still have the box, book, and all 10CDs  :-)

My next work station is going to be from iX systems, as they have some of
the finest computers money can buy in my opinion.

-Allen

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

Re: FreeBSD ZFS advocacy

Erich Dollansky-7
Hi,

On Mon, 06 Apr 2015 20:37:25 -0400
Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > You could also try contacting iX directly.  If your company likes
> > proprietary solutions, then iX can sell you something that looks to
> > management like a proprietary system, even if it doesn't to the
> > people actually using it...
>
> Hahaha! I'm sorry to waste peoples tome with basically a giggle, but
> when I read that line, I just instantly had a mental image of the
> usual pointy haired moron managers all sitting around a boardroom
> table saying to one person that FreeBSD being free must have no real
> value, and then 5 minutes later someone showing then the same OS but
> with a price tag from a company and then them all shaking their heads
> yes in agreement because the sticker for the price tag is shiny and
> looks good. Lol, sorry about the basically useless reply but it
> brightened my day and maybe by pointing it out, it may brighten
> someone elses day as well.

a long time ago, I did some work for a e-commerce site. Huge machines
with the need for a huge firewall. So, the people purchased a huge
firewall which was practically a FreeBSD machine based on standard
hardware. The client was happy to pay roughly ten times the price of
the plain hardware.

Erich