FreeBSD on embedded systems

Jürgen Dankoweit-2
Hello,

at the Munich trade fair "Systems 2005" I was asked from a visitor on
which embedded systems FreeBSD is running (I was there to promote
FreeBSD). He give me his vcard and pointed out that he is a developer on
embedded systems. He is very interested in FreeBSD on such systems and
he wants to migrate some applications to that platform.

I was surprised about this question and the only system that comes in my
mind was "Soekris".

My question is now: is there an overview on which embedded systems
FreeBSD runs?

Many thanks for your answer

Jürgen Dankoweit

Re: FreeBSD on embedded systems

Poul-Henning Kamp
In message <[hidden email]>, Juergen
Dankoweit writes:

>My question is now: is there an overview on which embedded systems
>FreeBSD runs?

Typically in this space, people select hardware based on I/O
requirements and there is plenty to pick at.

FreeBSD runs on pretty much anything with an i386 compatible CPU,
and the soekris is merely the hackers favourite.

Maintaining a comprehensive list would be a bit of work, but not
a lot of work, so if somebody volunteers for it, I'm sure we can
find a spot for it on our web-pages.

--
Poul-Henning Kamp       | UNIX since Zilog Zeus 3.20
[hidden email]         | TCP/IP since RFC 956

Re: FreeBSD on embedded systems

Scott Long-2
Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <[hidden email]>, Juergen
> Dankoweit writes:
>

>>My question is now: is there an overview on which embedded systems
>>FreeBSD runs?
>

> Typically in this space, people select hardware based on I/O
> requirements and there is plenty to pick at.
>
> FreeBSD runs on pretty much anything with an i386 compatible CPU,
> and the soekris is merely the hackers favourite.
>
> Maintaining a comprehensive list would be a bit of work, but not
> a lot of work, so if somebody volunteers for it, I'm sure we can
> find a spot for it on our web-pages.

FreeBSD is also being made to run on a variety of smaller ARM platforms
right now like the ARM920T.  It might also be possible to get a PPC
platform like the 405G/440G working without a whole lot of work.

Scott

Re: FreeBSD on embedded systems

Wilkinson, Alex
    0n Sat, Nov 12, 2005 at 10:12:22AM +0100, Juergen Dankoweit wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >at the Munich trade fair "Systems 2005" I was asked from a visitor on
    >which embedded systems FreeBSD is running (I was there to promote
    >FreeBSD). He give me his vcard and pointed out that he is a developer on
    >embedded systems. He is very interested in FreeBSD on such systems and
    >he wants to migrate some applications to that platform.
    >
    >I was surprised about this question and the only system that comes in my
    >mind was "Soekris".
    >
    >My question is now: is there an overview on which embedded systems
    >FreeBSD runs?
    >
    >Many thanks for your answer

You may find this insightful:

Embedded BSD: A case for BSD in your next embedded system project

                         By Terry Lambert

           [http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200201/embsd.html]

 -aW

Re: FreeBSD on embedded systems

Warner Losh
In message: <[hidden email]>
            Scott Long <[hidden email]> writes:
: Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
: > In message <[hidden email]>, Juergen
: > Dankoweit writes:
: >
: >
:
: FreeBSD is also being made to run on a variety of smaller ARM platforms
: right now like the ARM920T.  It might also be possible to get a PPC
: platform like the 405G/440G working without a whole lot of work.

The StrongArm stuff also is in decent shape.  The ARM920T core needs
glue for the different types of ARM processors by different OEMs.
There's some work on the ep9301 in the p4 repo right now which gets at
least one eval board working (see http://www.embeddedarm.com/ for the
TS7200 and TS7250).  Other cores are also in the pipeline.

Warner

RE: FreeBSD on embedded systems

Bob Pickles
Hi

For you interest, I have implemented a PMC (PCI Mezzanine Card)
driver for one of our products for a French company over 1 year
ago. FreeBSD is a nice stable platform, to develop with.

There are many Intel based VME and cPCI system Single Board Computers
in the market place. It would be nice if FreeBSD were also compatible
with Power PC, then more military suppliers might look at this as an
option.

Regards

Bob Pickles

[...]

***This message has been scanned for virus, spam, and undesirable
content.***
***For further information, contact your mail administrator.***

For limitations on the use and distribution of this message, please visit www.sbs.com/emaildisclaimer.

Bob Pickles wrote:

> Hi
>
> For you interest, I have implemented a PMC (PCI Mezzanine Card)
> driver for one of our products for a French company over 1 year
> ago. FreeBSD is a nice stable platform, to develop with.
>
> There are many Intel based VME and cPCI system Single Board Computers
> in the market place. It would be nice if FreeBSD were also compatible
> with Power PC, then more military suppliers might look at this as an
> option.
>
> Regards
>
> Bob Pickles

FreeBSD runs multiuser on the Mac G3 and G4 platforms right now.
Translating that into running on a PPC 405G or 440G or similar SOC
system would probably take a couple of months of writing the appropriate
glue code and bootstrap and porting some drivers.  I'd very much like to
see this be done, but it's not something that I have the cycles to in my
free time.

Scott

Re: FreeBSD on embedded systems

Bruce M Simpson
On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 10:09:31PM -0700, Bob Pickles wrote:
> For you interest, I have implemented a PMC (PCI Mezzanine Card)
> driver for one of our products for a French company over 1 year
> ago. FreeBSD is a nice stable platform, to develop with.

This is very cool. I look forward to being able to run FreeBSD on a cPCI
chassis for one very strong reason: cPCI has geographical PCI addressing
support. If we had a clean way of using this to number network interfaces,
even better -- it's been a bone of contention with router control plane
software (i.e. XORP) for a while.

BMS

RE: FreeBSD on embedded systems

Daniel Eischen
On Sun, 13 Nov 2005, Bob Pickles wrote:

> Hi
>
> For you interest, I have implemented a PMC (PCI Mezzanine Card)
> driver for one of our products for a French company over 1 year
> ago. FreeBSD is a nice stable platform, to develop with.
>
> There are many Intel based VME and cPCI system Single Board Computers
> in the market place. It would be nice if FreeBSD were also compatible
> with Power PC, then more military suppliers might look at this as an
> option.

Yes, one thing we lack is a VME bus driver for the Tundra I/II
chipset.  VME is still popular in military and industrial
control applications.

--
DE

RE: FreeBSD on embedded systems

Bob Pickles
Daniel

That would be an interesting project. I did a Tundra II
QNX driver for one of our SBCs with an Intel processor, but again
PPC is not a big issue here.

What would be the interest in the community for such a development?

I need to justify everything that I work on, as I am fully loaded
most of the year.

However, it's an interesting thought...

Regards

Bob

> For you interest, I have implemented a PMC (PCI Mezzanine Card)
> driver for one of our products for a French company over 1 year
> ago. FreeBSD is a nice stable platform, to develop with.
>
> There are many Intel based VME and cPCI system Single Board Computers
> in the market place. It would be nice if FreeBSD were also compatible
> with Power PC, then more military suppliers might look at this as an
> option.

Yes, one thing we lack is a VME bus driver for the Tundra I/II
chipset.  VME is still popular in military and industrial
control applications.

--
DE

***This message has been scanned for virus, spam, and undesirable
content.***
***For further information, contact your mail administrator.***

For limitations on the use and distribution of this message, please visit www.sbs.com/emaildisclaimer.

Re: FreeBSD on embedded systems

Warner Losh
In message: <[hidden email]>
            "Bob Pickles" <[hidden email]> writes:
: Daniel
:
[...]

I've looked at Tundra II driver for a potential data collection
project that needed VME cards, but that never happened...  Didn't look
too hard to do, but since that project never happened, no work was
ever done on it beyond the exploritory stages.

Warner

Re: FreeBSD on embedded systems

Bsderss

"M. Warner Losh" <[hidden email]> wrote:
    In message: <[hidden email]>
Scott Long writes:
: Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
: > In message <[hidden email]>, Juergen
: > Dankoweit writes:
: >
: >
[...]

  They are nice board. But I guess my project doesn't need USB ports. Do you think its price can be under $100 USD eg. $80USD without built-in USB ports?

  Sam.

RE: FreeBSD on embedded systems

Jürgen Dankoweit-2
Hello to all,

sorry for my later answer.
Many thanks to all the interesting points. I think I will create a
flyer which lists the information you gave me. I think it will be
available at the German CeBit in March.

I found on Amazon a book about the topic:
http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/1589950046/028-0124367-0906970

Many thanks again for the hints.

Best regards

Jürgen

Re: FreeBSD on embedded systems

samwun
Juergen Dankoweit wrote:

>Hello to all,
>
>sorry for my later answer.
>Many thanks to all the interesting points. I think I will create a
>flyer which lists the information you gave me. I think it will be
>available at the German CeBit in March.
>
>I found on Amazon a book about the topic:
>http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/1589950046/028-0124367-0906970
>
>Many thanks again for the hints.
>
>Best regards
>
>Jürgen

Hi,

What embedded hardware to you think is available in the market suitable
for TinyBSD?

Thanks
Sam