FreeBSD with Power 9 processor

Yogi M. Schneider
Hi,

has anyone tried FreeBSD on an IBM LC921 or LC922 with 2x Power 9
processors?
Would be great if someone could let me know about this, I didn't find
anything on the net.

Thanks,
Yogi

Re: FreeBSD with Power 9 processor

Justin Hibbits-3
On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 14:17:27 +0100
"Yogi M. Schneider" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> has anyone tried FreeBSD on an IBM LC921 or LC922 with 2x Power 9
> processors?
> Would be great if someone could let me know about this, I didn't find
> anything on the net.
>
> Thanks,
> Yogi

> "[hidden email]"

Hi Yogi,

I think some people have tried FreeBSD on those systems.  It does work
fairly well.  NUMA is still nonexistent, so there will be performance
penalties, but that's in the works and we hope to have that committed
soon.  There is still a lot of work left to do across the board, and a
lot in-progress.

We have several users with the Raptor Talos II systems, some with 2x
CPUs, I currently have only one CPU, but plan to buy another one later
this year.

Installation should be straight forward.  The biggest gotcha of it is
to download the right image.  The memstick image has for a long time
been broken, but the .iso image can be used on a USB stick to do an
install, and it works well.

- Justin