FreeBsd 6.0 i386 freezes after ata initialization

FreeBsd 6.0 i386 freezes after ata initialization

Timm Florian Gloger
Hi list,

I tried to install i386 6.0 a few times now, but every time the hardware
intitialization freezes at the same point.

After detecting my 2 ide channels with their slave and master drives
attached, the system stops acting or reacting on anything,
except that acpi prompts that it is not ready to shutdown if i hit the
powerbutton on the machine.

The system remains in this state until i do a "hard" power-off.

Are there any suggestion what might be the cause of this?
If you need further information, just tell me.

Thanks
Timm

Re: FreeBsd 6.0 i386 freezes after ata initialization

Roland Smith
On Sat, Nov 12, 2005 at 02:05:01PM +0100, Timm Florian Gloger wrote:
> I tried to install i386 6.0 a few times now, but every time the hardware
> intitialization freezes at the same point.
>
> After detecting my 2 ide channels with their slave and master drives
> attached, the system stops acting or reacting on anything,
<snip>
> Are there any suggestion what might be the cause of this?
> If you need further information, just tell me.

A description of the hardware you use might be usefull. Motherboard,
chipset etc.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.
public key: http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/pubkey.txt

Re: FreeBsd 6.0 i386 freezes after ata initialization

Timm Florian Gloger
Ok here we go:

Motherboard: ASUS A7VN8X-De
Chipset: nForce 2
USB 2.0 and FireWire onboard.
Silicon Image Serail ATA Software Raid onboard [caused some problems
with linux and initramfs in the past]
CPU: AMD Athlon 3000+
Devices attached: USB Mouse (Logitech) / USB Keyboard (Microsoft)
Drives: UltraDMA 133/100/66/33
1.IDE Master Samsung SP0802N / Slave Samsung SV0802N
2.IDE Master Pioneer DVD / Slave HP CD Rec

Hope this includes any useful information.
I can post more specific data and perhaps some terminal outputs if yiu
tell me what you need.

On Sat, Nov 12, 2005 at 04:00:27PM +0100, Timm Florian Gloger wrote:
> Ok here we go:
>
> Motherboard: ASUS A7VN8X-De

You mean A7N8X Deluxe?

> Chipset: nForce 2

According to the manual pages, the ATA driver should support this.

> USB 2.0 and FireWire onboard.
> Silicon Image Serail ATA Software Raid onboard [caused some problems
> with linux and initramfs in the past]

According to the manual, Silicon Image Medley and NVIDIA MediaShield are
supported by the ataraid driver. Are you using RAID? If so, does it work
without it?

> CPU: AMD Athlon 3000+
> Devices attached: USB Mouse (Logitech) / USB Keyboard (Microsoft)
> Drives: UltraDMA 133/100/66/33
> 1.IDE Master Samsung SP0802N / Slave Samsung SV0802N
> 2.IDE Master Pioneer DVD / Slave HP CD Rec
>
> Hope this includes any useful information.
> I can post more specific data and perhaps some terminal outputs if yiu
> tell me what you need.

Sometimes disabling FireWire in the bios seems to help (at least on 4.x).

Roland

* On 11/12/2005 4:50 PM  Roland Smith wrote:

> You mean A7N8X Deluxe?

Yes.

> According to the manual, Silicon Image Medley and NVIDIA MediaShield are
> supported by the ataraid driver. Are you using RAID? If so, does it work
> without it?

I do not use serial ata at all.

> Sometimes disabling FireWire in the bios seems to help (at least on 4.x).

Will try that and also disable the raid. Results will be postet here.
Thanks.

Re: FreeBsd 6.0 i386 freezes after ata initialization

Timm Florian Gloger
Disabling firewire did very well. Installation continues now.
Are there known fixes how to get firewire running after installing or is
this just a "installation-kernel" problem?

Thanks for your help Roland

On Sat, Nov 12, 2005 at 06:30:22PM +0100, Timm Florian Gloger wrote:
> Disabling firewire did very well. Installation continues now.
> Are there known fixes how to get firewire running after installing or is
> this just a "installation-kernel" problem?

The firewire driver is part of the GENERIC kernel. But AFAICT your
chipset doesn't seem to be on the list of supported devices in
fwohci(4).

If you get the system up and running, try enabling firewire in the BIOS
again, and see if the system boots.

If the system boots, but there is no firewire device, check the output
of 'pciconf -lv' to see what kind of chip it is.

Have a look at the archives for the freebsd-firewire list.
(http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-firewire/) Maybe your
problem has been handled there. If not, post a message to that list.

> Thanks for your help Roland

You're welcome!

Roland