Freebsd xen host dom0

Steven Friedrich-2
I have a new HP Slimline Desktop 290-p0014 which features an Intel i7-8700
and no com ports.
I am hoping to create a FreeBSD xen host to explore various FreeBSD and
Linux distros.
I was following along with chapter 21.8 FreeBSD as a Xen -Host.
I am using handbook rev 52113 modified on 2018-08-12 08:50:20 by eadler.
I did a fresh install of FreeBSD 11.2, pkg install xen and when I rebooted
it claimed:
don't know how to load module '/boot/xen'
don't know how to load module '/boot/xen'
(odd that it repeated that)
can't load 'kernel'

I can boot and turn off booting the xen kernel and FreeBSD comes up fine.
I used file /boot/xen and it reveals xen is a ELF 32-bit LSB executable,
Intel 80386 version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, stripped
What am I doing wrong?
I have previous FreeBSD experience, but it was long ago.  I may have
forgotten more than I knew 8o)

Re: Freebsd xen host dom0

Pratyush Yadav
On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 7:56 PM Steven Friedrich
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a new HP Slimline Desktop 290-p0014 which features an Intel i7-8700
> and no com ports.
> I am hoping to create a FreeBSD xen host to explore various FreeBSD and
> Linux distros.
> I was following along with chapter 21.8 FreeBSD as a Xen -Host.
> I am using handbook rev 52113 modified on 2018-08-12 08:50:20 by eadler.
> I did a fresh install of FreeBSD 11.2, pkg install xen and when I rebooted
> it claimed:
> don't know how to load module '/boot/xen'
> don't know how to load module '/boot/xen'
> (odd that it repeated that)
> can't load 'kernel'
>
> I can boot and turn off booting the xen kernel and FreeBSD comes up fine.
> I used file /boot/xen and it reveals xen is a ELF 32-bit LSB executable,
> Intel 80386 version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, stripped
> What am I doing wrong?
> I have previous FreeBSD experience, but it was long ago.  I may have
> forgotten more than I knew 8o)

Are you booting in UEFI mode? If yes, then FreeBSD does not yet
support booting the Xen kernel in UEFI mode. Try booting it in legacy
mode.

Pratyush Yadav

Re: Freebsd xen host dom0

Pratyush Yadav
On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 10:33 PM Steven Friedrich
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 10:36 AM Pratyush Yadav <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 7:56 PM Steven Friedrich
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > I have a new HP Slimline Desktop 290-p0014 which features an Intel i7-8700
>> > and no com ports.
>> > I am hoping to create a FreeBSD xen host to explore various FreeBSD and
>> > Linux distros.
>> > I was following along with chapter 21.8 FreeBSD as a Xen -Host.
>> > I am using handbook rev 52113 modified on 2018-08-12 08:50:20 by eadler.
>> > I did a fresh install of FreeBSD 11.2, pkg install xen and when I rebooted
>> > it claimed:
>> > don't know how to load module '/boot/xen'
>> > don't know how to load module '/boot/xen'
>> > (odd that it repeated that)
>> > can't load 'kernel'
>> >
>> > I can boot and turn off booting the xen kernel and FreeBSD comes up fine.
>> > I used file /boot/xen and it reveals xen is a ELF 32-bit LSB executable,
>> > Intel 80386 version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, stripped
>> > What am I doing wrong?
>> > I have previous FreeBSD experience, but it was long ago.  I may have
>> > forgotten more than I knew 8o)
>>
>> Are you booting in UEFI mode? If yes, then FreeBSD does not yet
>> support booting the Xen kernel in UEFI mode. Try booting it in legacy
>> mode.
>
> Thanks.  I reinstalled using MBR and it boots the xen kernel, but my router doesn't show it in the list of attached devices.
> Do I have to build a xen freebsd kernel?
> I get /boot/xen data=......
> /boot/kernel/kernel size .....
> /boot/entropy size...
> The second line where it mentions kernel, is that the GENERIC kernel installed when I originally installed 11.2?

I'm afraid I can't be of much help here. As far as I know, it should
be the GENERIC kernel. So no, I don't think you don't need to build
any kernel.

But I don't know why your router is not showing up. AFAICT, if it
shows when booting without Xen, it should also show with Xen. Maybe
the more experienced people in the list can help.

PS: Make sure you cc the mailing list when replying. That way, other
people who might have answers to your questions can see the entire
conversation.

Pratyush Yadav