Fwd: Re: either xen or custom

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fwd: Re: either xen or custom

Lizbeth Mutterhunt, Ph.D
Op Donnerstag, 14. Jänner 2021 09:21:09 CET schreef u:
> On Sun, Dec 13, 2020 at 12:11:40AM +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
> > to make a long story short: either I get a lock (hard to avoid, not to be
> > unlimited with ulimit -l unlimited) or a boot of xen and a blank screen
> > with reboot after a 10 seconds with vga=current.
>
> Hello,
Hello Roger,

> Sorry for the delay on the reply. I'm afraid I will need more info in
> order to help diagnose your issue.
no matter, was occupied other ways; using VirtualBox at the moment, slow and
the hypervisor tends to make long waiting-times...

> How do you get the lock that you mention? Is it booting Xen, or just
> plain FreeBSD?
It's booting XEN, but not the CURRENT-kernel afterwards or it boots the
CURRENT but not xen. I have in /boot/loader.conf

xen_kernel="/boot/xen"
xen_cmdline="dom0_mem=4048M dom0_max_vcpus=4 dom0=pvh com1=115200,8n1
guest_loglvl=all loglvl=all"
iommu="force,no-intremap"
if_tap_load="YES"
console=vga,com1
boot_multicons="YES"
boot_serial="YES"
console="comconsole,vidconsole"
vmm_load="YES"
vga=current

and in /etc/rc.conf:

xencommons_enable="YES"
cloned_interfaces="bridge0"
ifconfig_bridge0="addm bge0 SYNCDHCP"
ifconfig_bge0="up"

sudo ulimit -l
unlimited

sudo uname -a
FreeBSD freeBSD-CURRENT 13.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 13.0-CURRENT #5 r368997: Tue Jan
12 13:46:33 CET 2021     lizbeth@freeBSD-CURRENT:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/
sys/LIZBETH  amd64

it's a no-debug kernel!

/etc/ttys
xc0     "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         xterm   on  secure


when booting without XEN I get the following with 'xl dmesg'

xencall: error: Could not obtain handle on privileged command interface /dev/
xen/privcmd: No such file or directory
libxl: error: libxl.c:102:libxl_ctx_alloc: cannot open libxc handle: No such
file or directory
cannot init xl context

a normal boot without xen is on pastebin (VERBOSE_SYSINIT=2)

https://pastebin.com/RN1SYXdW


> Do you have a serial console attached to the box so that we could
> see the log of Xen and FreeBSD booting?
how to? every time I boot into xen I have to zpool import -f and mount it from
rescue CD. Is there a log from the last boot somewhere? I duckduckgo'd a bit
but couldn't find anything else than the dmesg. As it is not a kernel crash
there's nothing in /var/crash and on /var/run I have the running boot inside.
Maybe you tell me how to show the log from the serial console; btw, I tried
both ways, only serial, only bios or both --- no matter, xen's booting,
screen's blanking for the "normal" kernel but nothing happens but a sudden
reboot. Is it on the /var/* somewhere when booting from resucue? btw, the
current images from beginning 2021 don't boot, turning root sign but blank
screen, no boot menue but steady access to USB-stick.

I thought that the XEN-log should be somewhere in the boot-directory but it's
empty but asking for IUMMO support when using both consoles, when serializing
xen boots successfully but rebooting afterwards.


 
> Thanks, Roger.
I have to tell you thank you.

byebye,

lizbeth
Op Donnerstag, 14. Jänner 2021 09:21:09 CET schreef u:
> On Sun, Dec 13, 2020 at 12:11:40AM +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
> > to make a long story short: either I get a lock (hard to avoid, not to be
> > unlimited with ulimit -l unlimited) or a boot of xen and a blank screen
> > with reboot after a 10 seconds with vga=current.
>
> Hello,
Hello Roger,

> Sorry for the delay on the reply. I'm afraid I will need more info in
> order to help diagnose your issue.
no matter, was occupied other ways; using VirtualBox at the moment, slow and
the hypervisor tends to make long waiting-times...

> How do you get the lock that you mention? Is it booting Xen, or just
> plain FreeBSD?
It's booting XEN, but not the CURRENT-kernel afterwards or it boots the
CURRENT but not xen. I have in /boot/loader.conf

xen_kernel="/boot/xen"
xen_cmdline="dom0_mem=4048M dom0_max_vcpus=4 dom0=pvh com1=115200,8n1
guest_loglvl=all loglvl=all"
iommu="force,no-intremap"
if_tap_load="YES"
console=vga,com1
boot_multicons="YES"
boot_serial="YES"
console="comconsole,vidconsole"
vmm_load="YES"
vga=current

and in /etc/rc.conf:

xencommons_enable="YES"
cloned_interfaces="bridge0"
ifconfig_bridge0="addm bge0 SYNCDHCP"
ifconfig_bge0="up"

sudo ulimit -l
unlimited

sudo uname -a
FreeBSD freeBSD-CURRENT 13.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 13.0-CURRENT #5 r368997: Tue Jan
12 13:46:33 CET 2021     lizbeth@freeBSD-CURRENT:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/
sys/LIZBETH  amd64

it's a no-debug kernel!

/etc/ttys
xc0     "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         xterm   on  secure


when booting without XEN I get the following with 'xl dmesg'

xencall: error: Could not obtain handle on privileged command interface /dev/
xen/privcmd: No such file or directory
libxl: error: libxl.c:102:libxl_ctx_alloc: cannot open libxc handle: No such
file or directory
cannot init xl context

a normal boot without xen is on pastebin (VERBOSE_SYSINIT=2)

https://pastebin.com/RN1SYXdW


> Do you have a serial console attached to the box so that we could
> see the log of Xen and FreeBSD booting?
how to? every time I boot into xen I have to zpool import -f and mount it from
rescue CD. Is there a log from the last boot somewhere? I duckduckgo'd a bit
but couldn't find anything else than the dmesg. As it is not a kernel crash
there's nothing in /var/crash and on /var/run I have the running boot inside.
Maybe you tell me how to show the log from the serial console; btw, I tried
both ways, only serial, only bios or both --- no matter, xen's booting,
screen's blanking for the "normal" kernel but nothing happens but a sudden
reboot. Is it on the /var/* somewhere when booting from resucue? btw, the
current images from beginning 2021 don't boot, turning root sign but blank
screen, no boot menue but steady access to USB-stick.

I thought that the XEN-log should be somewhere in the boot-directory but it's
empty but asking for IUMMO support when using both consoles, when serializing
xen boots successfully but rebooting afterwards.


 
> Thanks, Roger.
I have to tell you thank you.

byebye,

lizbeth
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-xen
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: either xen or custom

Roger Pau Monné-2
On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 3:46 PM Lizbeth Mutterhunt, PhD
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Op Donnerstag, 14. Jänner 2021 09:21:09 CET schreef u:
> > On Sun, Dec 13, 2020 at 12:11:40AM +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
> > > to make a long story short: either I get a lock (hard to avoid, not to be
> > > unlimited with ulimit -l unlimited) or a boot of xen and a blank screen
> > > with reboot after a 10 seconds with vga=current.
> >
> > Hello,
> Hello Roger,
>
> > Sorry for the delay on the reply. I'm afraid I will need more info in
> > order to help diagnose your issue.
> no matter, was occupied other ways; using VirtualBox at the moment, slow and
> the hypervisor tends to make long waiting-times...
>
> > How do you get the lock that you mention? Is it booting Xen, or just
> > plain FreeBSD?
> It's booting XEN, but not the CURRENT-kernel afterwards or it boots the
> CURRENT but not xen. I have in /boot/loader.conf
>
> xen_kernel="/boot/xen"
> xen_cmdline="dom0_mem=4048M dom0_max_vcpus=4 dom0=pvh com1=115200,8n1
> guest_loglvl=all loglvl=all"
> iommu="force,no-intremap"

The iommu=... option should either be inside the xen_cmdline or
removed, it's not an option of loader.conf.

> if_tap_load="YES"
> console=vga,com1

console= should also be inside the xen_cmdline= option, not here as a
separate line here.

Your xen_cmdline should be:

xen_cmdline="dom0_mem=4048M dom0_max_vcpus=4 dom0=pvh com1=115200,8n1
guest_loglvl=all loglvl=all console=vga,com1 noreboot"

Note it's all a single line.

> boot_multicons="YES"
> boot_serial="YES"
> console="comconsole,vidconsole"
> vmm_load="YES"
> vga=current
>
> and in /etc/rc.conf:
>
> xencommons_enable="YES"
> cloned_interfaces="bridge0"
> ifconfig_bridge0="addm bge0 SYNCDHCP"
> ifconfig_bge0="up"
>
> sudo ulimit -l
> unlimited
>
> sudo uname -a
> FreeBSD freeBSD-CURRENT 13.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 13.0-CURRENT #5 r368997: Tue Jan
> 12 13:46:33 CET 2021     lizbeth@freeBSD-CURRENT:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/
> sys/LIZBETH  amd64
>
> it's a no-debug kernel!
>
> /etc/ttys
> xc0     "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         xterm   on  secure
>
>
> when booting without XEN I get the following with 'xl dmesg'
>
> xencall: error: Could not obtain handle on privileged command interface /dev/
> xen/privcmd: No such file or directory
> libxl: error: libxl.c:102:libxl_ctx_alloc: cannot open libxc handle: No such
> file or directory
> cannot init xl context

Right, without booting as Xen dom0 /dev/xen/privcmd is simply not there.

> a normal boot without xen is on pastebin (VERBOSE_SYSINIT=2)
>
> https://pastebin.com/RN1SYXdW
>
>
> > Do you have a serial console attached to the box so that we could
> > see the log of Xen and FreeBSD booting?
> how to? every time I boot into xen I have to zpool import -f and mount it from
> rescue CD. Is there a log from the last boot somewhere? I duckduckgo'd a bit
> but couldn't find anything else than the dmesg. As it is not a kernel crash
> there's nothing in /var/crash and on /var/run I have the running boot inside.

You would need to plug a null-modem into the serial port of your box,
or alternatively use something like SoL (Serial over LAN) if your box
supports it.

> Maybe you tell me how to show the log from the serial console; btw, I tried
> both ways, only serial, only bios or both --- no matter, xen's booting,
> screen's blanking for the "normal" kernel but nothing happens but a sudden
> reboot. Is it on the /var/* somewhere when booting from resucue?

There won't be any logs from Xen in the disk, because Xen has no
access to the disk at all.

When booting with Xen, do you see any error message on the screen?

I've added noreboot to the Xen command line above so that you can
maybe take a photo of the crash message if there's any?

Roger.
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-xen
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: either xen or custom

Roger Pau Monné-2
Adding freebsd-xen mailing list for reference.

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 05:04:21PM +0100, Lizbeth Mutterhunt, PhD wrote:

> Op Dienstag, 19. Jänner 2021 15:06:45 CET schreef u:
> > On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 3:46 PM Lizbeth Mutterhunt, PhD
> >
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Op Donnerstag, 14. Jänner 2021 09:21:09 CET schreef u:
> Hi Roger,
>
> just to introduce myself a bit:
>
> !!!thx for your reply and concerns!!!
>
> I keep in mind that this certain kind of support isn't self-understanding and
> will one day be to your advantage, too! For myself: I ask to much and answer
> too little in forums, etc., as I know what to do in certain kind of matters
> but still too lazy to give a tipp or to post a reply as many others does.
>
> I'm good in linux, especially Arch Linux, doing projects at the reborn BeOS,
> Linux and now as my main system on
>
> [CODE]
> sudo sysctl hw.model hw.machine hw.ncpu
> Wachtwoord:
> hw.model: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 867 @ 1.30GHz

So your CPU doesn't support VT-d (AKA IOMMU), and won't be able to
run FreeBSD/Xen sadly. This is a hardware limitation and there's
nothing that can be done. The only way to run Xen on that box is to
use Linux in PV mode, which FreeBSD doesn't support.

You can check the CPU features at:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/63918/intel-celeron-processor-867-2m-cache-1-30-ghz.html

Search for VT-d.

If you want to run FreeBSD/Xen you will need a newer CPU, sadly
there's no way around that.

> > > > Do you have a serial console attached to the box so that we could
> > > > see the log of Xen and FreeBSD booting?
> > >
> > > how to? every time I boot into xen I have to zpool import -f and mount it
> > > from rescue CD. Is there a log from the last boot somewhere? I
> > > duckduckgo'd a bit but couldn't find anything else than the dmesg. As it
> > > is not a kernel crash there's nothing in /var/crash and on /var/run I
> > > have the running boot inside.
>
> > You would need to plug a null-modem into the serial port of your box,
> > or alternatively use something like SoL (Serial over LAN) if your box
> > supports it.
>
> could you plz. explain this a bit more exactly? I don't have a LAN-switch yet
> but it's planned for connecting the Raspi4 and my upcoming RAPTOR9 machine at
> easter and to have a "night-light" with blinking RX/TX - LEDS! :-)

Getting serial out of a box is the only way to diagnose early boot
problems (ie: kernel issues). See:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/serialconsole-setup.html

That way you can get the output of FreeBSD or Xen booting in text
mode, so that you can for example paste it on an email when things go
wrong.

Roger.
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-xen
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: either xen or custom

Lizbeth Mutterhunt, Ph.D
Op Dienstag, 19. Jänner 2021 18:05:25 CET schreef u:
> Adding freebsd-xen mailing list for reference.
did this, too.
 

> On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 05:04:21PM +0100, Lizbeth Mutterhunt, PhD wrote:
> > Op Dienstag, 19. Jänner 2021 15:06:45 CET schreef u:
> > > On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 3:46 PM Lizbeth Mutterhunt, PhD
> > >
> > > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > > Op Donnerstag, 14. Jänner 2021 09:21:09 CET schreef u:
> > Hi Roger,
> >
> > just to introduce myself a bit:
> >
> > !!!thx for your reply and concerns!!!
> >
> > I keep in mind that this certain kind of support isn't self-understanding
> > and will one day be to your advantage, too! For myself: I ask to much and
> > answer too little in forums, etc., as I know what to do in certain kind
> > of matters but still too lazy to give a tipp or to post a reply as many
> > others does.
> >
> > I'm good in linux, especially Arch Linux, doing projects at the reborn
> > BeOS, Linux and now as my main system on
> >
> > [CODE]
> > sudo sysctl hw.model hw.machine hw.ncpu
> > Wachtwoord:
> > hw.model: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 867 @ 1.30GHz
>
> So your CPU doesn't support VT-d (AKA IOMMU), and won't be able to
> run FreeBSD/Xen sadly. This is a hardware limitation and there's
> nothing that can be done. The only way to run Xen on that box is to
> use Linux in PV mode, which FreeBSD doesn't support.
no, XEN stays here at BSD!
bhyve is this fast as tmc!
 
> You can check the CPU features at:
>
> https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/63918/intel-celeron-pro
> cessor-867-2m-cache-1-30-ghz.html
> Search for VT-d.
this is the output for information purpose:

"Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d) continues from the
existing support for IA-32 (VT-x) and Itanium® processor (VT-i) virtualization
adding new support for I/O-device virtualization. Intel VT-d can help end
users improve security and reliability of the systems and also improve
performance of I/O devices in virtualized environments."
 
> If you want to run FreeBSD/Xen you will need a newer CPU, sadly
> there's no way around that.
aeh! bulls*! but pitty, pitty, you can't request from an 7 year old machine
everything you want. so heaven stays cloudy but RAPTOR9 willl do? no troubles
with (U)EFI there?

> > > > > Do you have a serial console attached to the box so that we could
> > > > > see the log of Xen and FreeBSD booting?
> > > >
> > > > how to? every time I boot into xen I have to zpool import -f and mount
> > > > it
> > > > from rescue CD. Is there a log from the last boot somewhere? I
> > > > duckduckgo'd a bit but couldn't find anything else than the dmesg. As
> > > > it
> > > > is not a kernel crash there's nothing in /var/crash and on /var/run I
> > > > have the running boot inside.
> > >
> > > You would need to plug a null-modem into the serial port of your box,
> > > or alternatively use something like SoL (Serial over LAN) if your box
> > > supports it.
> >
> > could you plz. explain this a bit more exactly? I don't have a LAN-switch
> > yet but it's planned for connecting the Raspi4 and my upcoming RAPTOR9
> > machine at easter and to have a "night-light" with blinking RX/TX - LEDS!
> > :-)
> Getting serial out of a box is the only way to diagnose early boot
> problems (ie: kernel issues). See:
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/serialconsole-set
> up.html
ok, this is something like ssh or things concerning booting without monitor or
keybd, understood!

> That way you can get the output of FreeBSD or Xen booting in text
> mode, so that you can for example paste it on an email when things go
> wrong.
>

so heaven stays a place on earth and clouds change to violet!

thx anyway,
> Roger.
Lizbeth


_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-xen
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"