Fwd: Supporting the OpenJDK11 port to FreeBSD

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fwd: Supporting the OpenJDK11 port to FreeBSD

Eirik Øverby-3
Hi,

Realized I sent this from the wrong address to the wrong address .. sorry if this comes across as pestering!

I hope someone can take a look at the below, or point me in the right direction.

Wbr
/Eirik

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Eirik Øverby <[hidden email]>
> Date: 17 November 2018 at 12:24:36 EET
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Supporting the OpenJDK11 port to FreeBSD
>
> Hi,
>
> we're a company that hosts all our code (payment- and authentication stuff) on FreeBSD/Tomcat and we're being asked by our devs when we can have OpenJDK9^H10^H^H11 support. Before you ask - no, none of them are capable of porting anything - they couldn't care less about the platform.
>
> What would be the correct way to offer monetary (or other) support to the FreeBSD/Java project in such a way that
> - the money is well spent?
> - porting efforts can get some priority and attention, soonish?
>
> Not sure what kind of support would make a difference here, but we can throw all sorts of hardware at the project, and at least a man-month or two if that's what it takes.
>
> Wbr
> Eirik Øverby
> Modirum MDpay
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Supporting the OpenJDK11 port to FreeBSD

Barry van Someren
Hi Eirik,

I'm in a similar boat here. Would love to help out make OpenJDK 11 happen
on FreeBSD, but my C skills are somewhat.. lacking.
If it's any help to you, from what I've seen on the mailinglist, the Linux
JDK worked fine up until JDK 10 using the compatibility layer so getting
some form of recent Java is not impossible.

OpenJDK 8 will receive fixes for the foreseeable future upstream and so far
these updates have trickled back to FreeBSD as well thanks to people on
this list :-)

To answer one of your other questions; The FreeBSD Foundation might be
helpful to contact and donate to.
It's giving Tuesday today so donations to the foundation are most welcome.
They also used to license the TCK from Sun / Oracle up to version 8
Even a small donation and a reminder that people are deploying Java on
FreeBSD is helpful.

And since this is my first time contacting this list, please accept my
thanks to all of you who make Java work on FreeBSD!

Regards,

Barry


On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 8:29 PM Eirik Øverby <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Realized I sent this from the wrong address to the wrong address .. sorry
> if this comes across as pestering!
>
> I hope someone can take a look at the below, or point me in the right
> direction.
>
> Wbr
> /Eirik
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
> > From: Eirik Øverby <[hidden email]>
> > Date: 17 November 2018 at 12:24:36 EET
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Subject: Supporting the OpenJDK11 port to FreeBSD
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > we're a company that hosts all our code (payment- and authentication
> stuff) on FreeBSD/Tomcat and we're being asked by our devs when we can have
> OpenJDK9^H10^H^H11 support. Before you ask - no, none of them are capable
> of porting anything - they couldn't care less about the platform.
> >
> > What would be the correct way to offer monetary (or other) support to
> the FreeBSD/Java project in such a way that
> > - the money is well spent?
> > - porting efforts can get some priority and attention, soonish?
> >
> > Not sure what kind of support would make a difference here, but we can
> throw all sorts of hardware at the project, and at least a man-month or two
> if that's what it takes.
> >
> > Wbr
> > Eirik Øverby
> > Modirum MDpay
> _______________________________________________
> [hidden email] mailing list
> https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
> To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
>


--
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fwd: Supporting the OpenJDK11 port to FreeBSD

Michael Osipov
In reply to this post by Eirik Øverby-3
Am 2018-11-27 um 20:28 schrieb Eirik Øverby:

> Hi,
>
> Realized I sent this from the wrong address to the wrong address .. sorry if this comes across as pestering!
>
> I hope someone can take a look at the below, or point me in the right direction.
>
> Wbr
> /Eirik
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Eirik Øverby <[hidden email]>
>> Date: 17 November 2018 at 12:24:36 EET
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Supporting the OpenJDK11 port to FreeBSD
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> we're a company that hosts all our code (payment- and authentication stuff) on FreeBSD/Tomcat and we're being asked by our devs when we can have OpenJDK9^H10^H^H11 support. Before you ask - no, none of them are capable of porting anything - they couldn't care less about the platform.

Same issue here: running FreeBSD, Java, Tomcat, and surroundings like
Ant, Maven, etc.

>> What would be the correct way to offer monetary (or other) support to the FreeBSD/Java project in such a way that
>> - the money is well spent?
>> - porting efforts can get some priority and attention, soonish?
>>
>> Not sure what kind of support would make a difference here, but we can throw all sorts of hardware at the project, and at least a man-month or two if that's what it takes.

I don't think that hardware will really help. What really helps is
someone who can assist Greg or contact the foundation and remind them of
[1], "Development of software for FreeBSD to benefit the user and
developer community, including contract development of critical system
infrastructure, porting of closed source applications such as Java(TM)."
with your donation.

I talked with jmd@ about this gaining some traction for Java 11+ in
FreeBSD by joining AdoptAJDK and assisting Greg with this huge effort.
It just needs someone who will drive this. The first must be to get all
BSD related changes Greg and others have made into JDK8u, no more
bsd-port Hg repo.

Would you take on this?

Michael


[1] https://www.freebsdfoundation.org/about/overview/

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Supporting the OpenJDK11 port to FreeBSD

Eirik Øverby-3
> On 4 Dec 2018, at 21:52, Michael Osipov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Am 2018-11-27 um 20:28 schrieb Eirik Øverby:
>> Hi,
>> Realized I sent this from the wrong address to the wrong address .. sorry if this comes across as pestering!
>> I hope someone can take a look at the below, or point me in the right direction.
>> Wbr
>> /Eirik
>> Begin forwarded message:
>>> From: Eirik Øverby <[hidden email]>
>>> Date: 17 November 2018 at 12:24:36 EET
>>> To: [hidden email]
>>> Subject: Supporting the OpenJDK11 port to FreeBSD
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> we're a company that hosts all our code (payment- and authentication stuff) on FreeBSD/Tomcat and we're being asked by our devs when we can have OpenJDK9^H10^H^H11 support. Before you ask - no, none of them are capable of porting anything - they couldn't care less about the platform.
>
> Same issue here: running FreeBSD, Java, Tomcat, and surroundings like Ant, Maven, etc.
>
>>> What would be the correct way to offer monetary (or other) support to the FreeBSD/Java project in such a way that
>>> - the money is well spent?
>>> - porting efforts can get some priority and attention, soonish?
>>>
>>> Not sure what kind of support would make a difference here, but we can throw all sorts of hardware at the project, and at least a man-month or two if that's what it takes.
>
> I don't think that hardware will really help. What really helps is someone who can assist Greg or contact the foundation and remind them of [1], "Development of software for FreeBSD to benefit the user and developer community, including contract development of critical system infrastructure, porting of closed source applications such as Java(TM)." with your donation.
>
> I talked with jmd@ about this gaining some traction for Java 11+ in FreeBSD by joining AdoptAJDK and assisting Greg with this huge effort.
> It just needs someone who will drive this. The first must be to get all BSD related changes Greg and others have made into JDK8u, no more bsd-port Hg repo.
>
> Would you take on this?

Depends what you mean by "drive". We're stretched thin on the manpower side, and more importantly I'm not sure we have anyone who could confidently lead such a project. My thinking (or hope..) is that someone who has already led such efforts - with Java, specifically - could be enabled to work on this with some degree of focus for a useful amount of time if the bread-and-butter requirements are taken care of. Hence our suggestion to fund this work with a few man-months. If some of that (not too much, please ;) is spent planning the efforts and organising it, then so be it - we're fully and painfully aware that it's often the most costly part of any development project.

/Eirik
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fwd: Supporting the OpenJDK11 port to FreeBSD

Magnus Ihse Bursie
In reply to this post by Michael Osipov


On 2018-12-04 21:52, Michael Osipov wrote:

> Am 2018-11-27 um 20:28 schrieb Eirik Øverby:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Realized I sent this from the wrong address to the wrong address ..
>> sorry if this comes across as pestering!
>>
>> I hope someone can take a look at the below, or point me in the right
>> direction.
>>
>> Wbr
>> /Eirik
>>
>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>>> From: Eirik Øverby <[hidden email]>
>>> Date: 17 November 2018 at 12:24:36 EET
>>> To: [hidden email]
>>> Subject: Supporting the OpenJDK11 port to FreeBSD
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> we're a company that hosts all our code (payment- and authentication
>>> stuff) on FreeBSD/Tomcat and we're being asked by our devs when we
>>> can have OpenJDK9^H10^H^H11 support. Before you ask - no, none of
>>> them are capable of porting anything - they couldn't care less about
>>> the platform.
>
> Same issue here: running FreeBSD, Java, Tomcat, and surroundings like
> Ant, Maven, etc.
>
>>> What would be the correct way to offer monetary (or other) support
>>> to the FreeBSD/Java project in such a way that
>>> - the money is well spent?
>>> - porting efforts can get some priority and attention, soonish?
>>>
>>> Not sure what kind of support would make a difference here, but we
>>> can throw all sorts of hardware at the project, and at least a
>>> man-month or two if that's what it takes.
>
> I don't think that hardware will really help. What really helps is
> someone who can assist Greg or contact the foundation and remind them
> of [1], "Development of software for FreeBSD to benefit the user and
> developer community, including contract development of critical system
> infrastructure, porting of closed source applications such as
> Java(TM)." with your donation.
>
> I talked with jmd@ about this gaining some traction for Java 11+ in
> FreeBSD by joining AdoptAJDK and assisting Greg with this huge effort.
> It just needs someone who will drive this. The first must be to get
> all BSD related changes Greg and others have made into JDK8u, no more
> bsd-port Hg repo.
To get the BSD port into mainline OpenJDK will require:
1) passing the TCK
2) providing the infrastructure and resources necessary to continue
having a functioning platform. This typically means having some kind of
automated test sytem, running simpler tests (like the bundled JTREG test
suite) on a regular basis, and TCK when needed. (At least once per
release, more often if possible.) It also means having some engineer
available that can respond to questions about how to fix things on that
platform, and repair the build if it breaks.

As far as I know, the FreeBSD Foundation has a TCK license, so it's more
a matter of getting up a CI system, and having someone with enough time
at their hands that can be responsible for the OpenJDK contact.

/Magnus

>
> Would you take on this?
>
> Michael
>
>
> [1] https://www.freebsdfoundation.org/about/overview/
>
> _______________________________________________
> [hidden email] mailing list
> https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
> To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"