[GSoC '18] Porting CoreCLR, CoreFX and PowerShell to FreeBSD

[GSoC '18] Porting CoreCLR, CoreFX and PowerShell to FreeBSD

Mateus Rodrigues de Morais
Hi all,

I'm an undergraduate at the Federal University of Rio Grande do Norte
(Natal, Brazil) looking to contribute to FreeBSD this summer under GSoC.

I'd like to follow on this idea
(https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCodeIdeas#CoreCLR:_add_Microsoft.27s_CoreCLR_and_CoreFX_to_the_Ports_tree.)
and help port Microsoft's CoreCLR and CoreFX to FreeBSD in order to
ultimately be able to run a PowerShell instance on the system.

As I understand, there's already work in progress on building the
CoreCLR and CoreFX libraries to FreeBSD so this part shouldn't take much
time to overcome. The real challenge seems to be on the PowerShell part.

I've got around 9 years of experience in the Microsoft stack -- C#
primarily -- but little experience with FreeBSD itself. I've been
involved with open source for a while and am also a Linux user. I'm
looking for a potential mentor for this project and open to suggestions
and ideas as to better approach this problem.

The deadline for submission on GSoC '18 is tomorrow, so I understand
this may not be an optimal time to start a conversation on the subject.
However, I came across the GSoC program for this year around two days
ago and I'd still like to take this chance.

Thank you in advance,

--
Mateus Rodrigues de Morais
https://mateus.tech