[GSoC] Dual-stack ping command

Christopher Bailey
Hello,

I’m an undergraduate computer science student at the University of
Alaska Fairbanks. I’m interested in unifying ping and ping6 into a
single command, because it’s one of the suggested ideas on the wiki,
it’s something that’s mildly irritated me in the past, and I believe I
have the necessary skills to accomplish it.

From looking at the source code to the two existing commands, this
project looks pretty straightforward. There could be some
complications I’m missing though, so I’d be interested to hear from
more experienced developers if there are.

Also, apologies if I did anything wrong in sending this email. I’ve
been following the FreeBSD lists for a while, but this is the first
time I’ve sent a message myself, so I’m new to the experience.

Thanks,
Chris Bailey

Re: [GSoC] Dual-stack ping command

Jamie Landeg-Jones-2
Christopher Bailey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I’m an undergraduate computer science student at the University of
> Alaska Fairbanks. I’m interested in unifying ping and ping6 into a
> single command, because it’s one of the suggested ideas on the wiki,
> it’s something that’s mildly irritated me in the past, and I believe I
> have the necessary skills to accomplish it.

Hello!
That's something that's bugged me too.. I'm going to be cheeky now, and ask if you've
thought of doing traceroute/traceroute6 too?

:-)

Cheers, Jamie

Jamie Landeg-Jones ([hidden email]) wrote:
> That's something that's bugged me too.. I'm going to be cheeky now, and ask if you've
> thought of doing traceroute/traceroute6 too?

Yes, I have. It was listed on the project ideas wiki page as a
separate project, but I wouldn’t mind combining the two (or working on
traceroute as a stretch goal).