[GSoC] Kernel Fuzzing suite

Siddharth Muralee
Hi there,
   I am an undergraduate student at Amrita University and I would like to
work on the Kernel Fuzzing Suite project that has been suggested in the
projects page. I am a security enthusiast and I am quite familiar with both
user-land and kernel-land exploitation. I am also familiar with using
automated tools like PIN, AFL, Angr for automated binary analysis and
vulnerability detection.
          I have been taking a look at the current kernel fuzzers already
present for FreeBSD like Syzkaller,  and TriforceAFL for OpenBSD. I have
also been comparing these with other Kernel fuzzers like Trinity and the
relatively new DiFuzz. I would like to know how to start working on this
project. Since no mentors have been assigned to this project I also don't
know who to contact regarding queries.

  Siddharth M
  Second Year B.Tech (CSE) Student,
  Amrita School of Engineering, Kollam
*  Blog <http://r3xnation.wordpress.com> *

Re: [GSoC] Kernel Fuzzing suite

Brooks Davis-2
On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 12:00:40PM +0530, Siddharth Muralee wrote:

> Hi there,
>    I am an undergraduate student at Amrita University and I would like to
> work on the Kernel Fuzzing Suite project that has been suggested in the
> projects page. I am a security enthusiast and I am quite familiar with both
> user-land and kernel-land exploitation. I am also familiar with using
> automated tools like PIN, AFL, Angr for automated binary analysis and
> vulnerability detection.
>           I have been taking a look at the current kernel fuzzers already
> present for FreeBSD like Syzkaller,  and TriforceAFL for OpenBSD. I have
> also been comparing these with other Kernel fuzzers like Trinity and the
> relatively new DiFuzz. I would like to know how to start working on this
> project. Since no mentors have been assigned to this project I also don't
> know who to contact regarding queries.
I'd suggest suggest looking for one of the existing frameworks that does
work at least minimally, but has incomplete coverage it proposing a
project to enhance things to support FreeBSD.  For example, my
understanding of the status of Syzkaller is that is supports syscalls
that are identical to those on Linux.  That presumably means that there
are many syscalls including quite important ones that aren't covered.

-- Brooks

Re: [GSoC] Kernel Fuzzing suite

Ed Maste-2
On 27 February 2018 at 19:13, Brooks Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd suggest suggest looking for one of the existing frameworks that does
> work at least minimally, but has incomplete coverage it proposing a
> project to enhance things to support FreeBSD.  For example, my
> understanding of the status of Syzkaller is that is supports syscalls
> that are identical to those on Linux.  That presumably means that there
> are many syscalls including quite important ones that aren't covered.

There's a good amount of work to be done on Syzkaller for FreeBSD
still - there's a list at the bottom of
https://github.com/google/syzkaller/blob/master/docs/freebsd.md.

One of my Waterloo co-op students from last term worked on automation
for Syzkaller/FreeBSD, and Mitchell, one of this term's students, is
working on the first item from the above list: kernel coverage
support. I'd say the next most important item is second on that list,
extending the set of syscalls supported by Syzkaller.