[GSoC] Proposal draft on "Dual-stack ping(1) command"

[GSoC] Proposal draft on "Dual-stack ping(1) command"

Tongbo Zhang
Hi all,

I am Tongbo Zhang, a graduated student from Jilin University, China.  My
major is Computer Science and Technology. This year I'd like to participate
in GSoC 2018 with FreeBSD on project "Dual-stack ping(1) command" which I
think I am capable.

I have read some documents and articles to get familiar with network
programming. I also browsed the sources of these two commands to find the
starting point of coding work.  Recently I finished the draft of my
proposal, and I really appreciated it if you could review it and give me
some advice. Thanks.

Best regards,
Tongbo Zhang.

RE: [GSoC] Proposal draft on "Dual-stack ping(1) command"

Cy Schubert-4
This would be easy. Simply merge ping and ping6.

---
Sent using a tiny phone keyboard.
Apologies for any typos and autocorrect.
Also, this old phone only supports top post. Apologies.

Cy Schubert
<[hidden email]> or <[hidden email]>
---

Re: [GSoC] Proposal draft on "Dual-stack ping(1) command"

Sumit Lakra
Hello,
I was interested in this project earlier. I was thinking of combining this
with the traceroute one, but I decided to go for another project later.
You will need to use Raw ICMP sockets to do this. Probably the best way.
But you will also need to make your ping command a set-user-id program, as
only root user can create raw sockets. And if you do this, you must take
extra care not to drop any bugs in the code or it can be a havoc. All the
best !

On Sat 24 Mar, 2018, 19:55 Cy Schubert, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This would be easy. Simply merge ping and ping6.
>
> ---
> Sent using a tiny phone keyboard.
> Apologies for any typos and autocorrect.
> Also, this old phone only supports top post. Apologies.
>
> Cy Schubert
> <[hidden email]> or <[hidden email]>
> The need of the many outweighs the greed of the few.
> ---

Andrey Fesenko
On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 4:08 PM, Tongbo Zhang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am Tongbo Zhang, a graduated student from Jilin University, China.  My
> major is Computer Science and Technology. This year I'd like to participate
> in GSoC 2018 with FreeBSD on project "Dual-stack ping(1) command" which I
> think I am capable.
>
> I have read some documents and articles to get familiar with network
> programming. I also browsed the sources of these two commands to find the
> starting point of coding work.  Recently I finished the draft of my
> proposal, and I really appreciated it if you could review it and give me
> some advice. Thanks.

Are you see previous attempts?
GSoC 2015 Task: Unifying ping and ping6
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/muc.lists.freebsd.hackers/43dwsiWHleA/d4c9Us_4hXgJ

Re: [GSoC] Proposal draft on "Dual-stack ping(1) command"

Tongbo Zhang
 Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I have followed the link and browsed the
previous FreeBSD GSoC accepted projects but I didn't find this one in
them. I'm confused if this project has been finished or been cancled?

Best regards,
Tongbo Zhang.