Getting started on POWER9

Ali Mashtizadeh
Hello Everyone,

I was skimming through the mailing list archives and saw a few messages
saying I could boot an OpenPower off a standard install image.  It seems
that this isn't true for the USB key as petiteboot doesn't know what to do
with it.  Is my only choice to install from the cd/dvd images?

Best,
Ali

Re: Getting started on POWER9

Sean Bruno-7

On 12/6/18 8:36 AM, Ali Mashtizadeh wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I was skimming through the mailing list archives and saw a few messages
> saying I could boot an OpenPower off a standard install image.  It seems
> that this isn't true for the USB key as petiteboot doesn't know what to do
> with it.  Is my only choice to install from the cd/dvd images?
>
> Best,
> Ali

From my experience, the only filesystem in common between
petitboot(linux) and FreeBSD is FAT.  So, yeah, you'd have to boot from
the CD.

I was able to netboot FreeBSD PPC from an NFS server (x86) after I
compiled a custom netboot kernel with the following added to GENERIC64:

options BOOTP
options BOOTP_NFSROOT
options BOOTP_COMPAT

sean

Re: Getting started on POWER9

Justin Hibbits-3
On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 10:36:28 -0500
Ali Mashtizadeh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I was skimming through the mailing list archives and saw a few
> messages saying I could boot an OpenPower off a standard install
> image.  It seems that this isn't true for the USB key as petiteboot
> doesn't know what to do with it.  Is my only choice to install from
> the cd/dvd images?
>
> Best,
> Ali

My understanding is the USB image has *never* worked, and the cd/dvd
images will work.  You can simply write the DVD image to a USB stick
and boot from it.  I did that for my initial install.

- Justin

Re: Getting started on POWER9

Nathan Whitehorn-8

On 12/6/18 7:54 AM, Justin Hibbits wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 10:36:28 -0500
> Ali Mashtizadeh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> I was skimming through the mailing list archives and saw a few
>> messages saying I could boot an OpenPower off a standard install
>> image.  It seems that this isn't true for the USB key as petiteboot
>> doesn't know what to do with it.  Is my only choice to install from
>> the cd/dvd images?
>>
>> Best,
>> Ali
> My understanding is the USB image has *never* worked, and the cd/dvd
> images will work.  You can simply write the DVD image to a USB stick
> and boot from it.  I did that for my initial install.
>
> - Justin

We should probably just stop providing the "memstick" image, actually.
They are only needed (as an alternative to putting the DVD image on a
USB stick) for a tiny subset of very old Apple computers -- I think just
one or two models -- and don't even work on a much wider swath of more
recent hardware.
-Nathan