Good board/router for testing TDMA?

Goo Gle
Hello,

I'd like to test some long distance Wi-Fi links (a few kilometers) and
heard that FreeBSD has built-in support for TDMA which enables these types
of links. I'm admittedly new to FreeBSD and would like to know what's a
good board/router that's well supported by FreeBSD. Something relatively
cheap and supports at least 802.11n (both 2.4 and 5 GHz) would be great!
I'm based in USA if it affects availability.

Thank you,
Alana

Re: Good board/router for testing TDMA?

Vladimir Botka-5
On Thu, 7 Sep 2017 20:42:11 -0700
Goo Gle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
> I'd like to test some long distance Wi-Fi links (a few kilometers) ...

Aren't you looking for Ad-hoc connection
http://www.freebsd.cz/doc/handbook/network-wireless.html
and directional antennas?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-range_Wi-Fi

You might want to opt for Atheros
https://wiki.freebsd.org/dev/ath%284%29
or Intel
https://wiki.freebsd.org/dev/iwn%284%29

        -vlado

Re: Good board/router for testing TDMA?

Ruben
Hi Alana,

I Guess you could always get yourself a pc-engines board and plug in
exactly those adapters you and FreeBSD feel comfortable with.

I don't know if they satisfy your budget-criteria (or what they
realistically might be for long-distance Wi-Fi links), but Pc-engines
boards have good FreeBSD support.

http://www.mini-box.com/ALIX-APU-Systems

https://embeddor.com/product/apu-2c4/

Regards,

Ruben

On 08/09/17 05:42, Goo Gle wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to test some long distance Wi-Fi links (a few kilometers) and
> heard that FreeBSD has built-in support for TDMA which enables these types
> of links. I'm admittedly new to FreeBSD and would like to know what's a
> good board/router that's well supported by FreeBSD. Something relatively
> cheap and supports at least 802.11n (both 2.4 and 5 GHz) would be great!
> I'm based in USA if it affects availability.
>
> Thank you,
> Alana

Re: Good board/router for testing TDMA?

Adrian Chadd-4
hi!

For now, stick with AR9280 devices. AR9380 and later doesn't work well
due to chip design :(

-adrian

On 7 September 2017 at 20:42, Goo Gle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to test some long distance Wi-Fi links (a few kilometers) and
> heard that FreeBSD has built-in support for TDMA which enables these types
> of links. I'm admittedly new to FreeBSD and would like to know what's a
> good board/router that's well supported by FreeBSD. Something relatively
> cheap and supports at least 802.11n (both 2.4 and 5 GHz) would be great!
> I'm based in USA if it affects availability.
>
> Thank you,
> Alana

Re: Good board/router for testing TDMA?

Goo Gle
Hi Adrian,

Thank you for the advice! Do you know of any boards that use the AR9280 or
is it recommended to find a supported host board and install an AR9280
mPCIe card into it?

I found the following pages:
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-wifi-build/wiki/Carambola2
http://shop.8devices.com/wifi4things/carambola2-DVK

This board seems to be supported and can be purchased. However, it only
supports the 2.4 GHz band. Other than that, it seems great:
- Single AR9331 SoC that can run FreeBSD with built-in Wi-Fi.
- GPIO since I hope to control some switches from the board as well.

Do you have experience with this board or do you know of anything similar
that also supports 5 GHz?

Thank you,
Alana

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 9:02 AM, Adrian Chadd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi!
>
> For now, stick with AR9280 devices. AR9380 and later doesn't work well
> due to chip design :(
>

> -adrian
>

> On 7 September 2017 at 20:42, Goo Gle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'd like to test some long distance Wi-Fi links (a few kilometers) and
> > heard that FreeBSD has built-in support for TDMA which enables these
> types
> > of links. I'm admittedly new to FreeBSD and would like to know what's a
> > good board/router that's well supported by FreeBSD. Something relatively
> > cheap and supports at least 802.11n (both 2.4 and 5 GHz) would be great!
> > I'm based in USA if it affects availability.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Alana

Re: Good board/router for testing TDMA?

Adrian Chadd-4
Hi,

I recommend experimenting with some intel CPU thing with mini-pcie and
a mini-pcie AR9280.

AR9331 is AR9380 based, so it won't work righ tnow, sorry!

-a

On 8 September 2017 at 10:58, Goo Gle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Adrian,
>
> Thank you for the advice! Do you know of any boards that use the AR9280 or
> is it recommended to find a supported host board and install an AR9280 mPCIe
> card into it?
>
> I found the following pages:
> https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-wifi-build/wiki/Carambola2
> http://shop.8devices.com/wifi4things/carambola2-DVK
>
> This board seems to be supported and can be purchased. However, it only
> supports the 2.4 GHz band. Other than that, it seems great:
> - Single AR9331 SoC that can run FreeBSD with built-in Wi-Fi.
> - GPIO since I hope to control some switches from the board as well.
>
> Do you have experience with this board or do you know of anything similar
> that also supports 5 GHz?
>
> Thank you,
> Alana
>

> On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 9:02 AM, Adrian Chadd <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> hi!
>>
>> For now, stick with AR9280 devices. AR9380 and later doesn't work well
>> due to chip design :(
>>

>> -adrian
>>

>> On 7 September 2017 at 20:42, Goo Gle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I'd like to test some long distance Wi-Fi links (a few kilometers) and
>> > heard that FreeBSD has built-in support for TDMA which enables these
>> > types
>> > of links. I'm admittedly new to FreeBSD and would like to know what's a
>> > good board/router that's well supported by FreeBSD. Something relatively
>> > cheap and supports at least 802.11n (both 2.4 and 5 GHz) would be great!
>> > I'm based in USA if it affects availability.
>> >
>> > Thank you,
>> > Alana

Re: Good board/router for testing TDMA?

Goo Gle
Hi Adrian,

Oh, I see. I'll look for some Intel based board with mPCIe. Maybe the
Minnowboard Turbot, Up Squared or the AMD based PC Engines boards Ruben
mentioned (thank you!).

Since I'm still researching, I'd still like to continue searching for a
single SoC solution as well. Do you know of any SoCs that're AR9280 based?

Thank you!
Alana

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 12:27 PM, Adrian Chadd <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recommend experimenting with some intel CPU thing with mini-pcie and
> a mini-pcie AR9280.
>
> AR9331 is AR9380 based, so it won't work righ tnow, sorry!
>

> -a
>

> On 8 September 2017 at 10:58, Goo Gle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Adrian,
> >
> > Thank you for the advice! Do you know of any boards that use the AR9280
> or
> > is it recommended to find a supported host board and install an AR9280
> mPCIe
> > card into it?
> >
> > I found the following pages:
> > https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-wifi-build/wiki/Carambola2
> > http://shop.8devices.com/wifi4things/carambola2-DVK
> >
> > This board seems to be supported and can be purchased. However, it only
> > supports the 2.4 GHz band. Other than that, it seems great:
> > - Single AR9331 SoC that can run FreeBSD with built-in Wi-Fi.
> > - GPIO since I hope to control some switches from the board as well.
> >
> > Do you have experience with this board or do you know of anything similar
> > that also supports 5 GHz?
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Alana
> >

> > On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 9:02 AM, Adrian Chadd <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> hi!
> >>
> >> For now, stick with AR9280 devices. AR9380 and later doesn't work well
> >> due to chip design :(
> >>

> >> -adrian

> relatively
> great!

Re: Good board/router for testing TDMA?

Adrian Chadd-4
Hi,

No, the single chip wifi SoCs aren't AR9280. It skipped those.

-a

On 8 September 2017 at 16:14, Goo Gle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Adrian,
>
> Oh, I see. I'll look for some Intel based board with mPCIe. Maybe the
> Minnowboard Turbot, Up Squared or the AMD based PC Engines boards Ruben
> mentioned (thank you!).
>
> Since I'm still researching, I'd still like to continue searching for a
> single SoC solution as well. Do you know of any SoCs that're AR9280 based?
>
> Thank you!
> Alana
>
> On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 12:27 PM, Adrian Chadd <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I recommend experimenting with some intel CPU thing with mini-pcie and
>> a mini-pcie AR9280.
>>
>> AR9331 is AR9380 based, so it won't work righ tnow, sorry!
>>

>> -a
>>

>> On 8 September 2017 at 10:58, Goo Gle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi Adrian,
>> >
>> > Thank you for the advice! Do you know of any boards that use the AR9280
>> > or
>> > is it recommended to find a supported host board and install an AR9280
>> > mPCIe
>> > card into it?
>> >
>> > I found the following pages:
>> > https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-wifi-build/wiki/Carambola2
>> > http://shop.8devices.com/wifi4things/carambola2-DVK
>> >
>> > This board seems to be supported and can be purchased. However, it only
>> > supports the 2.4 GHz band. Other than that, it seems great:
>> > - Single AR9331 SoC that can run FreeBSD with built-in Wi-Fi.
>> > - GPIO since I hope to control some switches from the board as well.
>> >
>> > Do you have experience with this board or do you know of anything
>> > similar
>> > that also supports 5 GHz?
>> >
>> > Thank you,
>> > Alana

Re: Good board/router for testing TDMA?

Goo Gle
Hi Adrian,

Oh I see. Thank you.

I guess I'll see if I can find cheaper x86 boards. Otherwise, I'll go with
the previously recommended PC Engines boards.

Thank you for all the help!

-Alana