[HEADS UP] ar(1) front-end committed. (notes for cross compile)

1234

Re: [HEADS UP] ar(1) front-end committed. (notes for cross compile)

Ruslan Ermilov
On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 09:16:30AM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:

> > > Duplicated effort, and long build world times.
> >
> > Ahem.  It's less than two seconds in wall clock time on a
> > modern hardware.  :-)
>
> Unless we build everything as a bootstrap tool (related to Marcel's
> comment in this thread).
>
> Do you have a new diff that doesn't use any of the WITH_* stuff and just
> converts to using the new 'ar'?

I think I showed my last patch.  I thought we discussed
everything, so it's now in CVS.

I preserved _WITH_GNUAR, for the purposes of being able
to upgrade (read: cross-build for a different arch) on
earlier systems where bootstrapping BSD ar(1) is not
supported -- it's only set by Makefile.inc1, and is not
supposed to be set by a human being.  I hope you'll
like it.

Ruslan Ermilov
[hidden email]
FreeBSD committer