HPE DL 160 Gen 10 + E208i-a

Julien Cigar-4
Hello,

I'm wondering if any of you has successfully installed FreeBSD (12) on a
DL 160 Gen 10, is it well supported?

I plan to get a model with an "HPE Smart Array E208i-a SR Gen10
controller", from what I can read in the documentation it doesn't have
any BBU and can be configured in HBA + pass-through mode (could someone
confirm ?) so it should be suitable for ZFS, right?

Thanks!

Julien

--
Julien Cigar
Belgian Biodiversity Platform (http://www.biodiversity.be)

Re: HPE DL 160 Gen 10 + E208i-a

Toshaan Bharvani | VanTosh
Julien,

On 18/09/2019 10:57, Julien Cigar wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm wondering if any of you has successfully installed FreeBSD (12) on a
> DL 160 Gen 10, is it well supported?
Yes, well, I have on a DL360 gen10, it is the 2U rack version, with a
different RAID controller, see lower.

> I plan to get a model with an "HPE Smart Array E208i-a SR Gen10
> controller", from what I can read in the documentation it doesn't have
> any BBU and can be configured in HBA + pass-through mode (could someone
> confirm ?) so it should be suitable for ZFS, right?
Well, so I have experience with the P4xx series on FreeBSD, I have
installed it successfully on Gen6, Gen8, and Gen10.

The Linux Driver for RHEL from HPE suggest that the HPE E208 is a newer
HPE Microsemi Controller, using the smartpqi drivers.

FreeBSD has support for the smartpqi driver
https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=smartpqi&sektion=4&manpath=freebsd-release-ports
So I would say the HPE E208 should work under FreeBSD 12.

> Thanks!
>
> Julien

Regards,
Toshaan.

Toshaan Bharvani
+32-(0)476-66.70.55
[hidden email]
@toshywoshy

RE: HPE DL 160 Gen 10 + E208i-a

Scott.Benesh
The latest smartpqi drivers for FreeBSD can also be found here. https://storage.microsemi.com/en-us/speed/raid/aac/unix/smartpqi_freebsd_v1.0.3-2323_tgz.php

These will work with the HPE Gen10 Smart Array controllers as well.

Scott

On 18/09/2019 10:57, Julien Cigar wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm wondering if any of you has successfully installed FreeBSD (12) on
> a DL 160 Gen 10, is it well supported?
Yes, well, I have on a DL360 gen10, it is the 2U rack version, with a different RAID controller, see lower.

> I plan to get a model with an "HPE Smart Array E208i-a SR Gen10
> controller", from what I can read in the documentation it doesn't have
> any BBU and can be configured in HBA + pass-through mode (could
> someone confirm ?) so it should be suitable for ZFS, right?
Well, so I have experience with the P4xx series on FreeBSD, I have installed it successfully on Gen6, Gen8, and Gen10.

The Linux Driver for RHEL from HPE suggest that the HPE E208 is a newer HPE Microsemi Controller, using the smartpqi drivers.

FreeBSD has support for the smartpqi driver https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=smartpqi&sektion=4&manpath=freebsd-release-ports
So I would say the HPE E208 should work under FreeBSD 12.

> Thanks!
>
> Julien

Regards,
Toshaan.