Happy Birthday Charlie Root. Charlie Whom, btw?

Happy Birthday Charlie Root. Charlie Whom, btw?

Patrick Tracanelli
For some time I believed that Charlie Root was somehow related to the
baseball guy, C. H. Root, and it had some sort of story in this name,
chroot, etc. But the CHRoot baseball buy was born on March 17, and today
I found out:

19 Jun  Charlie Root <[hidden email]> born in Portland, Oregon, United
States, 1993

So, whats the story? The origin of the name? Did someone actaually
existed who was called like that, other than the CHRoot pitcher?

--
Patrick Tracanelli

Re: Happy Birthday Charlie Root. Charlie Whom, btw?

David-Paul Niner-2
Interesting post.

Type chpass (as root) and you'll see that his full name is actually
"Charlie &"  The & is substituted with his username, I believe.f

I always thought of the name "Charlie" as a generic term for a man.
My grandfather always used to say things like "listen here, Charlie..."

DP

On Jun 19, 2007, at 4:40 PM, Patrick Tracanelli wrote:

> For some time I believed that Charlie Root was somehow related to
> the baseball guy, C. H. Root, and it had some sort of story in this
> name, chroot, etc. But the CHRoot baseball buy was born on March
> 17, and today I found out:
>
> 19 Jun  Charlie Root <[hidden email]> born in Portland, Oregon,
> United States, 1993
>
> So, whats the story? The origin of the name? Did someone actaually
> existed who was called like that, other than the CHRoot pitcher?
>
> --
> Patrick Tracanelli

Re: Happy Birthday Charlie Root. Charlie Whom, btw?

Remko Lodder-2
Doing a guess here;

I think the FreeBSD project (or his grandparents) started at that date
root is the super user for *BSD and Unix derived system and celebrates
it's 14th birthday :-)

I would not know though why it was called Charlie Root, perhaps Kirk
(Mckusick) knows? :-)

Cheers,
remko

--
Kind regards,

     Remko Lodder               ** [hidden email]
     FreeBSD                    ** [hidden email]

     /* Quis custodiet ipsos custodes */