Help with tool to reject callers

Andreas Bauer-6

Hi,

I'm thinking of creating a little program to reject incoming calls on
my isdn line, so that none of the phones on the line ring when there's
an "unwanted" caller (based on their phone numbers).

Since I'm using i4b's capimonitor to log incoming numbers already, and
its code is quite simple, I want to base the program on that nice
little tool. :-)

Now, I'm not very experienced with the whole ISDN thing, so I hope
that this is the right place to ask for a little help to start me off.

First of all, is there a simple way to *totally* reject a call?
"Totally rejecting" meaning that no other phones on the same S0 bus
keep ringing? A CAPI_CALL_REJECT_*, which I tried first, obviously has
no effect on all the other phones on the bus.

If there is no way to easily reject the calls, then I guess the
program would need to accept the call and immediately hang up again
to achieve the same thing? Of course that might be a little ugly,
since it might cost the caller money, but it would still be fine with
me. In that case, what is the absolute minimum of steps that need to
be taken to do this?
I know that all the code for this should basically be in the capitest
utility, but maybe there's an even shorter way to do this if you don't
even really want to transfer anything. What parts of the message
handler can also go?

Thanks for the help already :-)
Andreas

Re: Help with tool to reject callers

Hans Petter Selasky
On Thursday 15 October 2009 14:34:30 Andreas Bauer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking of creating a little program to reject incoming calls on
> my isdn line, so that none of the phones on the line ring when there's
> an "unwanted" caller (based on their phone numbers).
>
> Since I'm using i4b's capimonitor to log incoming numbers already, and
> its code is quite simple, I want to base the program on that nice
> little tool. :-)
>
> Now, I'm not very experienced with the whole ISDN thing, so I hope
> that this is the right place to ask for a little help to start me off.
>
> First of all, is there a simple way to *totally* reject a call?
> "Totally rejecting" meaning that no other phones on the same S0 bus
> keep ringing? A CAPI_CALL_REJECT_*, which I tried first, obviously has
> no effect on all the other phones on the bus.
>
> If there is no way to easily reject the calls, then I guess the
> program would need to accept the call and immediately hang up again
> to achieve the same thing? Of course that might be a little ugly,
> since it might cost the caller money, but it would still be fine with
> me. In that case, what is the absolute minimum of steps that need to
> be taken to do this?
> I know that all the code for this should basically be in the capitest
> utility, but maybe there's an even shorter way to do this if you don't
> even really want to transfer anything. What parts of the message
> handler can also go?

Hi,

I think the most efficient way, using a Point to Multipoint setup, is to
answer the call and then hangup the call. Sometimes the RELEASE_COMPLETE
messages are simply ignored in P2MP configurations before the call is
answered.

--HPS