Hot-Plug PCIe Support

Eric van Gyzen-5
FreeBSD Folks:

I am currently scoping the effort to add hot-plug PCIe support to
FreeBSD.  Is anyone else currently working on this or aware of any
design, code, or other effort available outside the tree?

FYI, here are perhaps the most interesting references I could find:

https://wiki.freebsd.org/PCIHotplug

https://wiki.freebsd.org/IdeasPage#Implementing_PCI-Hotplug_and_ExpressCard_support

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2015-April/055290.html

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ia32/2010-February/date.html

Please reply on [hidden email] to minimize cross-posting.

Thanks in advance.

Eric

Re: Hot-Plug PCIe Support

Oliver Pinter-4
On 1/26/16, Eric van Gyzen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FreeBSD Folks:
>
> I am currently scoping the effort to add hot-plug PCIe support to
> FreeBSD.  Is anyone else currently working on this or aware of any
> design, code, or other effort available outside the tree?
>
> FYI, here are perhaps the most interesting references I could find:
>
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/PCIHotplug
>
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/IdeasPage#Implementing_PCI-Hotplug_and_ExpressCard_support
>
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2015-April/055290.html
>
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ia32/2010-February/date.html
>
> Please reply on [hidden email] to minimize cross-posting.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Hi!

Added John-Mark to the CC, if I'm not wrong, I stared to play with them.

> Eric

Re: Hot-Plug PCIe Support

Adrian Chadd-4
please grab the pciehp work that jmg has done and push it along to
completion. Pretty please in fact.

-a

On 26 January 2016 at 14:28, Eric van Gyzen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FreeBSD Folks:
>
> I am currently scoping the effort to add hot-plug PCIe support to
> FreeBSD.  Is anyone else currently working on this or aware of any
> design, code, or other effort available outside the tree?
>
> FYI, here are perhaps the most interesting references I could find:
>
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/PCIHotplug
>
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/IdeasPage#Implementing_PCI-Hotplug_and_ExpressCard_support
>
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2015-April/055290.html
>
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ia32/2010-February/date.html
>
> Please reply on [hidden email] to minimize cross-posting.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Eric

Re: Hot-Plug PCIe Support

Warner Losh
It's mostly done, but needs a careful review by PCI domain experts. I've
been doing it a little at a time, but have been crunched for time.  Since
$DAYJOB doesn't care about hot plug, it's a lower priority than all the
things related or semi-related to it.

Warner

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 6:58 PM, Adrian Chadd <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> please grab the pciehp work that jmg has done and push it along to
> completion. Pretty please in fact.
>

> -a
>

> On 26 January 2016 at 14:28, Eric van Gyzen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > FreeBSD Folks:
> >
> > I am currently scoping the effort to add hot-plug PCIe support to
> > FreeBSD.  Is anyone else currently working on this or aware of any
> > design, code, or other effort available outside the tree?
> >
> > FYI, here are perhaps the most interesting references I could find:
> >
> > https://wiki.freebsd.org/PCIHotplug
> >

> https://wiki.freebsd.org/IdeasPage#Implementing_PCI-Hotplug_and_ExpressCard_support
> >

> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2015-April/055290.html
> >
> > https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ia32/2010-February/date.html
> >
> > Please reply on [hidden email] to minimize cross-posting.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Eric

Re: Hot-Plug PCIe Support

John Baldwin
On Tuesday, January 26, 2016 11:33:08 PM Warner Losh wrote:
> It's mostly done, but needs a careful review by PCI domain experts. I've
> been doing it a little at a time, but have been crunched for time.  Since
> $DAYJOB doesn't care about hot plug, it's a lower priority than all the
> things related or semi-related to it.

As I noted in the review on phabricator, it needs to be rearranged.  It
currently puts a bunch of code in the PCI bus that instead belongs in the
PCI-PCI bridge (all the interrupt handling, MSI, etc. are properties of the
bridge and should be handled in their rather than magic fields in the
pci_dinfo of the bridge in the parent PCI bus).  It is not a lot of code and
probably wouldn't take long to finish.  I had been waiting to let jmg@ finish
it.

https://reviews.freebsd.org/D3932

> Warner
>

> On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 6:58 PM, Adrian Chadd <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > please grab the pciehp work that jmg has done and push it along to
> > completion. Pretty please in fact.
> >

> > -a
> >

> > On 26 January 2016 at 14:28, Eric van Gyzen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > FreeBSD Folks:
> > >
> > > I am currently scoping the effort to add hot-plug PCIe support to
> > > FreeBSD.  Is anyone else currently working on this or aware of any
> > > design, code, or other effort available outside the tree?
> > >
> > > FYI, here are perhaps the most interesting references I could find:
> > >
> > > https://wiki.freebsd.org/PCIHotplug
> > >

> > https://wiki.freebsd.org/IdeasPage#Implementing_PCI-Hotplug_and_ExpressCard_support
> > >

> > https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2015-April/055290.html
> > >
> > > https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ia32/2010-February/date.html
> > >
> > > Please reply on [hidden email] to minimize cross-posting.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > Eric

John Baldwin