How to get mouse configured in X(org)?

Chris H-2
Greetings all,
I just installed a copy of 12@363433 from the install media.
I then pkg installed everything I intended to use.
After installing Xorg-server,nvidia-driver,xf86-input-keyboard,
xf86-input-mouse. I fired
Xorg -configure
examined the output in both /var/Xorg.o.log && ~/xorg.conf.new
everything appeared to be in order. So I fired off a
Xorg -config ~/xorg.conf.new -retro

While I got the familiar background mesh (-retro), and the
keyboard functioned correctly. The mouse doesn't work.

From Xorg.0.log:
[85.337] (II) config/udev: Adding input device IntelliMouse Explorer (/dev/input/event4)
[85.337] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
[85.337] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.

Relevant excerpt from xorg.conf.new:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option    "Protocol" "auto"
        Option    "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
        Option    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

I appear to have covered all the bases in the entry of the handbook at:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/x-config.html

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

--Chris

Re: How to get mouse configured in X(org)?

Chris H-2
On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 21:36:33 +0000 Mark Linimon [hidden email] said

> What is the output of the script mentioned in:
>
>  https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2020-February/025004.html

Thanks for the prompt, and thoughtful reply, Mark! :-)

OK I've been following CURRENT, and was aware of that. As I
needed it the first time around with the new Xorg. But I
hadn't imagined I would require any outside helpers on STABLE. :(
Anyway. I managed to get a working xorg.conf.new running against
Xorg -config. So I added only what I thought I absolutely needed
to /usr/local/X11/xorg.conf.d/ and fired up startx with my chosen
DE in .xinitrc. Only to find I _still_ had no mouse, nor control
of the WM. My only recourse was to bounce the box. :-(
I had to scrub the pool, and blow away all the X related things
in ~/ && try again. I was finally successful after creating the
following 4 files:
server-layout.conf
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier  "X.org Configured"
        Option      "AutoAddDevices" "Off"
        Option      "Log"  "sync"
EndSection
driver-nvidia.conf
Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        BusID       "PCI:2:0:0"
EndSection
screen-layout.conf
Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "Monitor Model"
EndSection
keyboard-zap.conf
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "KeyboardDefaults"
        Driver "keyboard"
        MatchIsKeyboard "on"
        Option "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
EndSection

Altho the keyboard-zap.conf is probably unnecessary. I added
it in hopes of being able to bail out as opposed to bouncing
the box.

I can't believe what a disappointment X has become. It's almost
a different incantation for every install. I'd understand on
CURRENT/release. But not on STABLE.

I'm very grateful for your lending a hand, Mark. I don't
mean to point any of my frustration at/towards you. :-)

Thanks, again! :-)

--Chris

> mcl

Re: How to get mouse configured in X(org)?

Chris H-2
On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 18:03:17 -0700 [hidden email] said

All bitching aside. My conclusion is the

Option      "AutoAddDevices" "Off"

Line below is responsible for permitting/activating the
mouse.

> server-layout.conf
> Section "ServerLayout"
> Identifier  "X.org Configured"
> Option      "AutoAddDevices" "Off"
> Option      "Log"  "sync"
> EndSection
> driver-nvidia.conf
> Section "Device"
> Identifier  "Card0"
> Driver      "nvidia"
> BusID       "PCI:2:0:0"
> EndSection
> screen-layout.conf
> Section "Monitor"
> Identifier   "Monitor0"
> VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
> ModelName    "Monitor Model"
> EndSection
> keyboard-zap.conf
> Section "InputClass"
> Identifier "KeyboardDefaults"
> Driver "keyboard"
> MatchIsKeyboard "on"
> Option "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
> EndSection

--Chris