How to prevent gam_server from running?

Conrad J. Sabatier
Lately, I've been hovering hither and thither when it comes to which
desktop environment I choose when logging in, but several of them seem
to insist on starting gam_server, which is just a real CPU hog, and
once this thing is started, there's no stopping it.

I've looked and looked and still can't figure out how to disable it.  I
can't even figure out where exactly it's being started from.  Whether
it's GNOME or XFCE or what-have-you, at login, some add-on tool
somewhere is launching this thing, and I just plain don't want it!  :-)

Any clues, anyone?  I'm really worn out from trying to solve this one.

Thanks!

--
Conrad J. Sabatier

Re: How to prevent gam_server from running?

Steve Bertrand-5
On 2012.02.15 17:57, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:

> Lately, I've been hovering hither and thither when it comes to which
> desktop environment I choose when logging in, but several of them seem
> to insist on starting gam_server, which is just a real CPU hog, and
> once this thing is started, there's no stopping it.
>
> I've looked and looked and still can't figure out how to disable it.  I
> can't even figure out where exactly it's being started from.  Whether
> it's GNOME or XFCE or what-have-you, at login, some add-on tool
> somewhere is launching this thing, and I just plain don't want it!  :-)
>
> Any clues, anyone?  I'm really worn out from trying to solve this one.

Is there anything in /etc/rc.conf relating to this server?

Steve

Re: How to prevent gam_server from running?

Conrad J. Sabatier
On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 18:23:21 -0500
Steve Bertrand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2012.02.15 17:57, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> > Lately, I've been hovering hither and thither when it comes to which
> > desktop environment I choose when logging in, but several of them
> > seem to insist on starting gam_server, which is just a real CPU
> > hog, and once this thing is started, there's no stopping it.
> >
> > I've looked and looked and still can't figure out how to disable
> > it.  I can't even figure out where exactly it's being started
> > from.  Whether it's GNOME or XFCE or what-have-you, at login, some
> > add-on tool somewhere is launching this thing, and I just plain
> > don't want it!  :-)
> >
> > Any clues, anyone?  I'm really worn out from trying to solve this
> > one.
>
> Is there anything in /etc/rc.conf relating to this server?
>
> Steve

Well, naturally, that was the first place I checked, along with
probing /usr/local/etc, but no, I don't see any signs of anything
anywhere that could be causing this thing to run.  Nothing helpful
in the package's plist, either.  Undoubtedly, one of its REQUIRED_BYs
is responsible, but none of them are making it easy to track down.
It's really quite maddening.

This thing is a persistent little bugger, I tell ya.  I've tried
manually killing it repeatedly, using various signals, and it just
keeps resurrecting itself immediately, sometimes in even higher
numbers, like some evil being in a horror movie.  Kill one, and two
or more spring up in its place.  It's *evil*, I tell ya!  :-)

Well, where there's a will, there's a way.  I'll get to the bottom of
this eventually.  I would just uninstall it, but then it will most
likely be automatically reinstalled, too, when I upgrade something that
depends on it.  As Caiaphas sang in his menacing basso voice in "Jesus
Christ Superstar", "We need a more permanent solution to our problem".
:-)

--
Conrad J. Sabatier

Re: How to prevent gam_server from running?

Warren Block
On Wed, 15 Feb 2012, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:

> Lately, I've been hovering hither and thither when it comes to which
> desktop environment I choose when logging in, but several of them seem
> to insist on starting gam_server, which is just a real CPU hog, and
> once this thing is started, there's no stopping it.
>
> I've looked and looked and still can't figure out how to disable it.  I
> can't even figure out where exactly it's being started from.  Whether
> it's GNOME or XFCE or what-have-you, at login, some add-on tool
> somewhere is launching this thing, and I just plain don't want it!  :-)
>
> Any clues, anyone?  I'm really worn out from trying to solve this one.

It's some hidden gnome thing.  No real idea how to disable it, maybe
gconf.  It's responsible for monitoring file changes, so does have some
usefulness.

Might be better to figure out why it's tying up the CPU.

On 2012.02.15 19:19, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 18:23:21 -0500
> Steve Bertrand<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> On 2012.02.15 17:57, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
>>> Lately, I've been hovering hither and thither when it comes to which
>>> desktop environment I choose when logging in, but several of them
>>> seem to insist on starting gam_server, which is just a real CPU
>>> hog, and once this thing is started, there's no stopping it.
>>>
>>> I've looked and looked and still can't figure out how to disable
>>> it.  I can't even figure out where exactly it's being started
>>> from.  Whether it's GNOME or XFCE or what-have-you, at login, some
>>> add-on tool somewhere is launching this thing, and I just plain
>>> don't want it!  :-)
>>>
>>> Any clues, anyone?  I'm really worn out from trying to solve this
>>> one.
>>
>> Is there anything in /etc/rc.conf relating to this server?

> Well, naturally, that was the first place I checked, along with
> probing /usr/local/etc, but no, I don't see any signs of anything
> anywhere that could be causing this thing to run.  Nothing helpful
> in the package's plist, either.  Undoubtedly, one of its REQUIRED_BYs
> is responsible, but none of them are making it easy to track down.
> It's really quite maddening.
>
> This thing is a persistent little bugger, I tell ya.  I've tried
> manually killing it repeatedly, using various signals, and it just
> keeps resurrecting itself immediately, sometimes in even higher
> numbers, like some evil being in a horror movie.  Kill one, and two
> or more spring up in its place.  It's *evil*, I tell ya!  :-)
>
> Well, where there's a will, there's a way.  I'll get to the bottom of
> this eventually.  I would just uninstall it, but then it will most
> likely be automatically reinstalled, too, when I upgrade something that
> depends on it.  As Caiaphas sang in his menacing basso voice in "Jesus
> Christ Superstar", "We need a more permanent solution to our problem".
> :-)

lol :) I figured you've checked there, but one never knows. I've never
heard such of a rogue problem on FBSD before. Do you see anything odd if
you run lsof? Won't say what started it, but it may give hints.

Also, perhaps you could display to the list what you are starting
willingly to see if someone can identify a potential problem.

Steve

Re: How to prevent gam_server from running?

Nikola Pavlović
On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 04:57:38PM -0600, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> Lately, I've been hovering hither and thither when it comes to which
> desktop environment I choose when logging in, but several of them seem
> to insist on starting gam_server, which is just a real CPU hog, and
> once this thing is started, there's no stopping it.

PolicyKit is like that too. :)

> I've looked and looked and still can't figure out how to disable it.  I
> can't even figure out where exactly it's being started from.  Whether
> it's GNOME or XFCE or what-have-you, at login, some add-on tool
> somewhere is launching this thing, and I just plain don't want it!  :-)

It's not just desktop environments, a huge amount of 'normal' ports depend on
it.  I'm running a bare bones window manager and can't get rid of it.
At first I thought polkit and gam_server were some kind of leftovers
from a couple of months long experiment with KDE4, but after I made sure
every last bit of KDE was gone from the system (it was like trying
to kill those packs of core hounds in Molten Core[1]; older WoW players
will appreciate the analogy) and tired to remove them, this is what I
got (and still get; some of the more amusing dependants marked):

# pkg_delete gamin\*
pkg_delete: package 'gamin-0.1.10_4' is required by these other packages
and may not be deinstalled:
ORBit2-2.14.19
atk-2.0.1
dbus-glib-0.94
desktop-file-utils-0.18
eggdbus-0.6_1
gdk-pixbuf-2.23.5_1
gio-fam-backend-2.28.8
libIDL-0.8.14_1
libcroco-0.6.2_1
libgee-0.6.2.1
libimobiledevice-1.0.6_2
liblqr-1-0.4.1_2
policykit-0.9_6
py27-dbus-0.84.0
shared-mime-info-0.90 <---
enchant-1.6.0
gsettings-desktop-schemas-3.0.1
glib-networking-2.28.7_3
libsoup-2.34.3
loudmouth-1.4.3_6
mcabber-0.10.1_2  <---
cairo-1.10.2_3,1
gobject-introspection-0.10.8
pango-1.28.4
graphviz-2.28.0
vala-0.12.1
gtk-update-icon-cache-2.24.6
gtk-2.24.6
dconf-0.5.1_3
polkit-0.99
gconf2-2.32.0_2
libgsf-1.14.21
gtk-engines2-2.20.2
librsvg2-2.34.1
ImageMagick-6.7.4.4_1 <---
goffice-0.8.17
wv-1.2.9
abiword-2.8.4_1
consolekit-0.4.3
libnotify-0.7.3_1
firefox-10.0,1
gstreamer-0.10.35
gstreamer-plugins-0.10.35_1,3
py27-cairo-1.8.10
py27-gobject-2.28.6
libgpod-0.8.0
libglade2-2.6.4_4
gtkpod-1.0.0
hal-0.5.14_18
hal-info-20091130
lxappearance-0.5.1
xorg-server-1.7.7_3,1
nvidia-driver-285.05.09
nvidia-settings-285.05.09
py27-gstreamer-0.10.22
py27-gtk-2.24.0
py27-notify-0.1.1_8
trayer-srg-1.1.4
vim-7.3.121
wine-1.4.r2,1
xf86-input-keyboard-1.5.0
xf86-input-mouse-1.6.0
xf86-video-nv-2.1.18
xf86-video-vesa-2.3.0_1
xorg-drivers-7.5.1
xorg-7.5.1
xplanet-1.2.2_1
xscreensaver-5.15
zenity-2.32.1_1
musicpd-0.16.7

Sure, some of these are not direct dependencies, but this is the end
result.  At that point I just sighed, gazed away from the computer and
decided to leave it be. :)  (Yes some of the stuff in that list can be
weeded out with pkg_cutleaves but they end coming back as build
dependencies of other stuff that I do need).

> Any clues, anyone?  I'm really worn out from trying to solve this one.

At this point I guess any GTK+ application (and I bet a lot of KDE ones
too) that even remotely has anything to do with Gnome is going to result
in pulling in gam_server (gamin).  Maybe it's even a plain GTK+ thing... It
seems like a lost battle.

But the CPU hogging sounds strange.  On my machine it just sits there
seemingly doing nothing with probably constant 0 % CPU load and a few
processes.

----
[1] http://www.wowpedia.org/Core_Hound_Pack

--
The thrill is here, but it won't last long
You'd better have your fun before it moves along...

Re: How to prevent gam_server from running?

Matthew Seaman-2
On 16/02/2012 02:44, Nikola Pavlović wrote:
> (Yes some of the stuff in that list can be
> weeded out with pkg_cutleaves but they end coming back as build
> dependencies of other stuff that I do need).

You know that portmaster(8) has the capability to delete build-only
dependencies?  If you create packages of everything you build, the
effect can be that portmaster will just install the build dependency as
required for updates.

Add this in portmaster.rc to do the deletion of build-only dependencies:

PM_DEL_BUILD_ONLY=pw_dbo

These will keep a cache of any packages you build, and use that cache
preferentially to reinstall anything (which is also really handy if
you've got a bunch of machines that can all share the same cache):

MAKE_PACKAGE=gopt
PM_PACKAGES=first
LOCAL_PACKAGEDIR=/usr/ports/packages
PM_PACKAGES_LOCAL=pmp_local

        Cheers,

        Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                   7 Priory Courtyard
                                                  Flat 3

Re: How to prevent gam_server from running?

Julian H. Stacey-3
"Conrad J. Sabatier" <[hidden email]> wrote

> Any clues, anyone?  I'm really worn out from trying to solve this one.

I've not heard of gam_server but try
        cd /var/db/pkg/gam_server* ; more ./+REQUIRED_BY
same result with
        pkg_info -R gam_server*

BTW for window manager I have been using /usr/ports/x11-wm/fvwm
on all machines for a decade or more, runs fine on 32 Meg 4.11-RELEASE
& amd64 8.2 etc. Plain ascii config easily extendable.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, cumulative like a play script, & indent with "> ".

Re: [OT] Build deps caching (was: How to prevent gam_server from running?)

Nikola Pavlović
On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 08:00:28AM +0000, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> On 16/02/2012 02:44, Nikola Pavlović wrote:
> > (Yes some of the stuff in that list can be
> > weeded out with pkg_cutleaves but they end coming back as build
> > dependencies of other stuff that I do need).
>
> You know that portmaster(8) has the capability to delete build-only
> dependencies?  If you create packages of everything you build, the
> effect can be that portmaster will just install the build dependency as
> required for updates.

I now realize my algorithm for reading man portmaster was all wrong. :)
When I started using FreeBSD I decided to not use packages, so I always
disregarded all options dealing with them, and never made the connection
between delete-build-only and local package caching.

> Add this in portmaster.rc to do the deletion of build-only dependencies:
>
> PM_DEL_BUILD_ONLY=pw_dbo

I assume this is a typo, it should be 'pm_dbo'?

> These will keep a cache of any packages you build, and use that cache
> preferentially to reinstall anything (which is also really handy if
> you've got a bunch of machines that can all share the same cache):
>
> MAKE_PACKAGE=gopt
> PM_PACKAGES=first
> LOCAL_PACKAGEDIR=/usr/ports/packages
> PM_PACKAGES_LOCAL=pmp_local

Skimming through the man page and getopts part of portmaster I don't see
a way to exclude some build-deps from being uninstalled.  Am I missing
something?  I'm not sure ATM, but there could be some of them that are
only ever build dependencies but which I want to keep installed for whatever
reason.

Anyway, thanks a lot for pointing this out, it's a really handy feature!

--
There is a 20% chance of tomorrow.

Re: [OT] Build deps caching

Matthew Seaman-2
On 16/02/2012 12:38, Nikola Pavlović wrote:
>> Add this in portmaster.rc to do the deletion of build-only dependencies:
>> >
>> > PM_DEL_BUILD_ONLY=pw_dbo

> I assume this is a typo, it should be 'pm_dbo'?

Hmmm... maybe.  However, it doesn't matter what the variable is set to,
only that it's set to something.

> Skimming through the man page and getopts part of portmaster I don't see
> a way to exclude some build-deps from being uninstalled.  Am I missing
> something?  I'm not sure ATM, but there could be some of them that are
> only ever build dependencies but which I want to keep installed for whatever
> reason.

portmaster will only delete the build-only dependencies it installs in
the same session solely because they are required for building.  So
anything that was already installed, or anything you tell portmaster to
install explicitly will not be removed.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                   7 Priory Courtyard
                                                  Flat 3
PGP: http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/pgpkey     Ramsgate
JID: [hidden email]               Kent, CT11 9PW

Re: How to prevent gam_server from running?

Herbert J. Skuhra-4
On Thu, Feb 16, 2012, at 03:44, Nikola Pavlović wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 04:57:38PM -0600, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> > Lately, I've been hovering hither and thither when it comes to which
> > desktop environment I choose when logging in, but several of them seem
> > to insist on starting gam_server, which is just a real CPU hog, and
> > once this thing is started, there's no stopping it.
> >

> PolicyKit is like that too. :)
>
> > I've looked and looked and still can't figure out how to disable it.  I
> > can't even figure out where exactly it's being started from.  Whether
> > it's GNOME or XFCE or what-have-you, at login, some add-on tool
> > somewhere is launching this thing, and I just plain don't want it!  :-)
>
> It's not just desktop environments, a huge amount of 'normal' ports
> depend on
> it.  I'm running a bare bones window manager and can't get rid of it.
> At first I thought polkit and gam_server were some kind of leftovers
> from a couple of months long experiment with KDE4, but after I made sure
> every last bit of KDE was gone from the system (it was like trying
> to kill those packs of core hounds in Molten Core[1]; older WoW players
> will appreciate the analogy) and tired to remove them, this is what I
> got (and still get; some of the more amusing dependants marked):

 Hmm, maybe glib20/_glib20 is wrongly used in Mk/bsd.gnome.mk and/or the port Makefiles. e.g: accessibility/atk, devel/gobject-introspection and graphics/cairo list glib20 (instead of _glib20) in USE_GNOME. So you can't even install accessibility/atk without devel/gamin. :-(

--
Herbert

Re: How to prevent gam_server from running?

Herbert J. Skuhra-3
On Thu, Feb 16, 2012, at 03:44, Nikola Pavlović wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 04:57:38PM -0600, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> > Lately, I've been hovering hither and thither when it comes to which
> > desktop environment I choose when logging in, but several of them seem
> > to insist on starting gam_server, which is just a real CPU hog, and
> > once this thing is started, there's no stopping it.
> >

> PolicyKit is like that too. :)
>
> > I've looked and looked and still can't figure out how to disable it.  I
> > can't even figure out where exactly it's being started from.  Whether
> > it's GNOME or XFCE or what-have-you, at login, some add-on tool
> > somewhere is launching this thing, and I just plain don't want it!  :-)
>
> It's not just desktop environments, a huge amount of 'normal' ports
> depend on
> it.  I'm running a bare bones window manager and can't get rid of it.
> At first I thought polkit and gam_server were some kind of leftovers
> from a couple of months long experiment with KDE4, but after I made sure
> every last bit of KDE was gone from the system (it was like trying
> to kill those packs of core hounds in Molten Core[1]; older WoW players
> will appreciate the analogy) and tired to remove them, this is what I
> got (and still get; some of the more amusing dependants marked):

Hmm, maybe glib20/_glib20 is wrongly used in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.gnome.mk
and/or the port Makefiles. e.g: accessibility/atk, devel/gobject-
introspection and graphics/cairo list glib20 (instead of _glib20) in
USE_GNOME. So you can't even install accessibility/atk without
devel/gamin. :-(

--
Herbert

Re: How to prevent gam_server from running?

Herbert J. Skuhra-4
On Thu, Feb 16, 2012, at 03:44, Nikola Pavlović wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 04:57:38PM -0600, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> > Lately, I've been hovering hither and thither when it comes to which
> > desktop environment I choose when logging in, but several of them seem
> > to insist on starting gam_server, which is just a real CPU hog, and
> > once this thing is started, there's no stopping it.
> >

> PolicyKit is like that too. :)
>
> > I've looked and looked and still can't figure out how to disable it.  I
> > can't even figure out where exactly it's being started from.  Whether
> > it's GNOME or XFCE or what-have-you, at login, some add-on tool
> > somewhere is launching this thing, and I just plain don't want it!  :-)
>
> It's not just desktop environments, a huge amount of 'normal' ports
> depend on
> it.  I'm running a bare bones window manager and can't get rid of it.
> At first I thought polkit and gam_server were some kind of leftovers
> from a couple of months long experiment with KDE4, but after I made sure
> every last bit of KDE was gone from the system (it was like trying
> to kill those packs of core hounds in Molten Core[1]; older WoW players
> will appreciate the analogy) and tired to remove them, this is what I
> got (and still get; some of the more amusing dependants marked):

 Hmm, maybe glib20/_glib20 is wrongly used in Mk/bsd.gnome.mk and/or the port Makefiles. e.g: accessibility/atk, devel/gobject-introspection and graphics/cairo list glib20 (instead of _glib20) in USE_GNOME. So you can't even install accessibility/atk without devel/gamin. :-(

--
Herbert

Re: How to prevent gam_server from running?

docblue

<gam_server> is not a "system-level" service per se : it is not started via a well-defined /etc/rc.d/xxx or /usr/local/etc/rc.d script.

Contrary to that, it is a "user-level" service started on-demand by other mechanisms, most often desktop related. Like polkit stuff.

Therefore, it is not <gam_server> per se which is responsible for intensive CPU consumption, but rather whatever mechanism services higher in the stack that are launching it on their behalf to monitor files/directories activity.

For instance, konqueror, dolphin, as well as many other file-related desktop apps, launch a <gam_server> instance to monitor on their behalf what's going on wherever they are looking at, so they can reflect file/dir changes in (almost) real-time. So they do not do polling themselves.

What I did in my system (a PC-BSD running KDE) was to chmod o-rx any executable file related to polkit, akonadi, nepomuk, striggi, virtuoso :

 find -x / -type f  -perm +0111 \( -name '*polkit*' -or -name '*nepomuk*' ... \) -print0 | xargs -0 chmod a-rx {} \;

Then I would stop any remaining unnecessary running service.

This served quite well for me, and things got much much better, though I never checked wether the apps were happy or not about my violent command. As a buzzy developer, I should confess that I do not care too much at all about most of the desktop apps (be KDE or Gnome), and mostly enjoy resorting to using Firefox, Thunderbird, Libreoffice, Evince and Konsole (I have loved this one for almost a decade) where I run tabs and Vim :) (I mostly never use any file wiewer, konqueror or Dolphin).

So your mileage may vary !

In all case, please refrain from applying shutting down the gam_server file itself, or you will end-up having a really unusable system. It's better IMO to apply a fine-grained control wherever and as much as possible, identifying which app uses <gam_server> and decide on a case by case approach what to do. Of course, this is a tedious time-consuming unproductive job, but the price is a smoother  system.

Cheers,

Franck Porcher