IPMI SOL setup on FreeBSD 9.1 amd64 supermicro X9SCM-F/X9CL-F

IPMI SOL setup on FreeBSD 9.1 amd64 supermicro X9SCM-F/X9CL-F

Derek Ragona
I have a couple servers that are built using the supermicro X9SCM-F/X9CL-F
motherboards, and I can't quite get IPMI SOL working right.

These motherboards have 3 NIC's.  One NIC is for a dedicated IPMI interface.

I have both servers configured to use the dedicated IPMI NIC and these
NIC's are plugged into a separate unmanaged switch.

Both systems boards are set to redirect com1.  I changed /etc/ttys to run a
getty on /dev/ttyu0.  I have com1 configured to 115,200 baud, 8, n, 1, no
flowcontrol in the BIOS.  I in have /etc/ttys:
ttyu0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.115200" vt100   on secure

Using one server, I start an IPMI SOL session to the other server.  But all
I get is the IPMI SOL output, no login prompt.
If I reboot the server I am SOL connected to, I do see the BIOS boot
messages, and even the initial FreeBSD boot prompt.  I can even make boot
prompt changes from the SOL session.  Once boot starts the SOL gets no more
output.

I looked at both servers and the one I am using to initiate the SOL has
/dev/ipmi0 and ipmitool working fine.  On the server I am trying to connect
to has /dev/ipmi1 and ipmitool errors:
Could not open device at /dev/ipmi0 or /dev/ipmi/0 or /dev/ipmidev/0: No
such file or directory

These are identical motherboards.

I suspect that because the one system creates /dev/ipmi1 instead of
/dev/ipmi0 may be why the SOL output stops right after the boot starts.

If I do:
ln -s /dev/ipmi1 /dev/ipmi0

ipmitool works fine, until the next reboot.

How can I get the one system to make /dev/ipmi0 instead of /dev/ipmi1?

In FreeBSD 9.1 do I use hint.uart instead of hint.sio in /boot/loader.conf?

Any help would be appreciated.

         -Derek
         derek at computinginnovations.com

believed to be clean.

Re: IPMI SOL setup on FreeBSD 9.1 amd64 supermicro X9SCM-F/X9CL-F

Anton Yuzhaninov
On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 22:52:17, Derek Ragona wrote:
DR> I have a couple servers that are built using the supermicro X9SCM-F/X9CL-F
DR> motherboards, and I can't quite get IPMI SOL working right.
DR>
DR> These motherboards have 3 NIC's.  One NIC is for a dedicated IPMI interface.
DR>
DR> I have both servers configured to use the dedicated IPMI NIC and these
DR> NIC's are plugged into a separate unmanaged switch.
DR>
DR> Both systems boards are set to redirect com1.  I changed /etc/ttys to run a
DR> getty on /dev/ttyu0.  I have com1 configured to 115,200 baud, 8, n, 1, no
DR> flowcontrol in the BIOS.  I in have /etc/ttys:
DR> ttyu0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.115200" vt100   on secure

/etc/ttys:
ttyu1   "/usr/libexec/getty std.115200" vt100   on  secure

/boot/loader.conf:
hint.uart.0.flags="0"
hint.uart.1.flags="0x10"
boot_serial="YES"
boot_multicons="YES"
comconsole_speed="115200"
console="comconsole vidconsole"

--
 Anton Yuzhaninov

At 09:07 AM 1/23/2013, Anton Yuzhaninov wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 22:52:17, Derek Ragona wrote:
>DR> I have a couple servers that are built using the supermicro
>X9SCM-F/X9CL-F
>DR> motherboards, and I can't quite get IPMI SOL working right.
>DR>
>DR> These motherboards have 3 NIC's.  One NIC is for a dedicated IPMI
>interface.
>DR>
>DR> I have both servers configured to use the dedicated IPMI NIC and these
>DR> NIC's are plugged into a separate unmanaged switch.
>DR>
>DR> Both systems boards are set to redirect com1.  I changed /etc/ttys to
>run a
>DR> getty on /dev/ttyu0.  I have com1 configured to 115,200 baud, 8, n, 1, no
>DR> flowcontrol in the BIOS.  I in have /etc/ttys:
>DR> ttyu0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.115200" vt100   on secure
>
>/etc/ttys:
>ttyu1   "/usr/libexec/getty std.115200" vt100   on  secure
>
>/boot/loader.conf:
>hint.uart.0.flags="0"
>hint.uart.1.flags="0x10"
>boot_serial="YES"
>boot_multicons="YES"
>comconsole_speed="115200"
>console="comconsole vidconsole"

Anton,

Thanks for answering.

I thought:
>/etc/ttys:
>ttyu1   "/usr/libexec/getty std.115200" vt100   on  secure

is for com2?

I also thought:
hint.uart.1.flags="0x10"

Is for com2?

you said:
hint.uart.1.flags="0x10"

Is that for for a serial only console?  I read in some posts, to use:
hint.uart.1.flags="0x30"

for both a local console with a serial console.  I could not find much
documentation on the uart or sio flags.

-Derek

believed to be clean.