ISDN-phone based on FreeBSD

Matthias Apitz-4

Hello,

I have at home an ISDN line for making phone calls and I want to replace
the (more then ten years old) ISDN phone with some new 'terminal' which
should be a small laptop, having:

- an ISDN (PCMCIA or USB) interface supporting two B channels
- some kind of ISDN daemon watching the D channel for calls, logging of
  inbound/outbound numbers and costs (signalled though D channel)
- some kind of (X11) phone application for receiving or making calls,
  audio should be done through micro/loudspeaker or headset
- completely disk-less (like the Asus eeePC series)
- based on FreeBSD

Any ideas for such a ISDN terminal? Thx in advance

        matthias
--
Matthias Apitz
Manager Technical Support - OCLC GmbH

SPAMer of the year: Subject: Alle Software ist Deutsche Sprachen
>From: -40 % die Neujahrsaktion <[hidden email]>

Re: ISDN-phone based on FreeBSD

Hans Petter Selasky
On Tuesday 30 December 2008, Matthias Apitz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have at home an ISDN line for making phone calls and I want to replace
> the (more then ten years old) ISDN phone with some new 'terminal' which
> should be a small laptop, having:
>
> - an ISDN (PCMCIA or USB) interface supporting two B channels
> - some kind of ISDN daemon watching the D channel for calls, logging of
>   inbound/outbound numbers and costs (signalled though D channel)
> - some kind of (X11) phone application for receiving or making calls,
>   audio should be done through micro/loudspeaker or headset
> - completely disk-less (like the Asus eeePC series)
> - based on FreeBSD
>
> Any ideas for such a ISDN terminal? Thx in advance

Does the following keywords help?

HFC-S USB based ISDN adapter, Acer Aspire One, Freesbie, Asterisk, chan-capi,
ekiga?

If you want I can pre-build something for you in return for money.

--HPS

El día Tuesday, December 30, 2008 a las 05:19:10PM +0100, Hans Petter Selasky escribió:

> Does the following keywords help?
>
> HFC-S USB based ISDN adapter,

Is this adapter supported in FreeBSD 7.x?

> Acer Aspire One,

I'd prefer my eeePC 900 which has a 16 GByte SSD and works fine with
FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT, see http://www.unixarea.de/installEeePC.txt

> Freesbie,

Why Freesbie and not FreeBSD 7.x?

> Asterisk,
> chan-capi,
> ekiga?

I know Ekiga from having ported it to FreeBSD, see
http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Compile_your_own_SVN_version_of_Ekiga_on_FreeBSD
it has a lot of features for VoIP which are not needed here and I don't
know if it is stable enough for using it 7x24 in my home environment
where also my wife will make calls :-)

> If you want I can pre-build something for you in return for money.

This is new to me, first time that I get an offer for money in a FBSD
mailing list;

Thx

        matthias

Selasky escribió:
> > Does the following keywords help?

Hi,

> > HFC-S USB based ISDN adapter,
>
> Is this adapter supported in FreeBSD 7.x?

See Billion Tiny ISDN.

> > Acer Aspire One,
>
> I'd prefer my eeePC 900 which has a 16 GByte SSD and works fine with
> FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT, see http://www.unixarea.de/installEeePC.txt
>
> > Freesbie,
>
> Why Freesbie and not FreeBSD 7.x?

Freesbie has some scripts that will copy /etc and /root into memory to avoid
wearing the flash.

> > Asterisk,
> > chan-capi,
> > ekiga?
>
> I know Ekiga from having ported it to FreeBSD, see
> http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Compile_your_own_SVN_version_of_Ekiga_on_Fr
>eeBSD it has a lot of features for VoIP which are not needed here and I
> don't know if it is stable enough for using it 7x24 in my home environment
> where also my wife will make calls :-)

Or you can make your own simple dial and phonebook interface with QT, Gnome or
just plain xorg.

> > If you want I can pre-build something for you in return for money.
>
> This is new to me, first time that I get an offer for money in a FBSD
> mailing list;

--HPS