Ignoring /boot/loader.conf and /boot/loader.conf.local?

Ignoring /boot/loader.conf and /boot/loader.conf.local?

Stefan Witzel-2
Hi,

on a system running FreeBSD 12.0 I want to run MongoDB (in a jail). According to https://vermaden.wordpress.com/tag/mongodb/ I tried to increase kern.maxproc.

The default value was 99999. For testing purposes I first add

kern.maxproc=100000

to /boot/loader.conf and rebooted: the value has not changed; the same result editing /boot/loader.conf.local.

Only if I edit /boot/defaults/loader.conf the value changed to 100000. Are there other restrictions on kern.maxproc?

Later I found all other entries in /boot/loader.conf are also ignored.

BTW, I found "#define PID_MAX 99999" in /usr/src/sys/sys/proc.h. Is it possible to set kern.maxproc greater 100000 if all pids are from the interval [0, 99999] and unique?

Thanks in advance.

Stefan

Re: Ignoring /boot/loader.conf and /boot/loader.conf.local?

Polytropon
On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 12:56:05 +0000, Witzel, Stefan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> on a system running FreeBSD 12.0 I want to run MongoDB (in a jail).
> According to https://vermaden.wordpress.com/tag/mongodb/ I tried to
> increase kern.maxproc.
>
> The default value was 99999. For testing purposes I first add
>
> kern.maxproc=100000
>
> to /boot/loader.conf and rebooted: the value has not changed; the
> same result editing /boot/loader.conf.local.
>
> Only if I edit /boot/defaults/loader.conf the value changed to 100000.

You should not change a defaults file, this is not intended.

> Are there other restrictions on kern.maxproc?

Did you try setting those vial /etc/sysctl.conf?

> Later I found all other entries in /boot/loader.conf are also ignored.

That looks very strange. But it might be due to the jail
construction which inherits the kernel values from the host...

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany

AW: Ignoring /boot/loader.conf and /boot/loader.conf.local?

Stefan Witzel-2

--
Georg-August-Universität Göttingen Stiftung Öffentlichen Rechts
Abteilung IT

Telefon: 0551 / 39-24160
Fax:     0551 / 39-1824160
> On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 12:56:05 +0000, Witzel, Stefan wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > on a system running FreeBSD 12.0 I want to run MongoDB (in a jail).
> > According to https://vermaden.wordpress.com/tag/mongodb/ I tried to
> > increase kern.maxproc.
> >
> > The default value was 99999. For testing purposes I first add
> >
> > kern.maxproc=100000
> >
> > to /boot/loader.conf and rebooted: the value has not changed; the same
> > result editing /boot/loader.conf.local.
> >
> > Only if I edit /boot/defaults/loader.conf the value changed to 100000.
>
> You should not change a defaults file, this is not intended.

I first try it by changing /boot/loader.conf[.local]. Only to check if
100000 is invalid I changed /boot/defaults/loader.conf

> > Are there other restrictions on kern.maxproc?
>
> Did you try setting those vial /etc/sysctl.conf?

kern.maxproc is set at boot time, it is not writable in multiuser mode.

> > Later I found all other entries in /boot/loader.conf are also ignored.
>
> That looks very strange. But it might be due to the jail construction
> which inherits the kernel values from the host...

I don't think this results from the jails. At boot time there is no active
jail. And kern.maxproc sets the size of the process table which is global
for the host including all jails, I think.

> --
> Polytropon
> Magdeburg, Germany
> Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0
> Andra moi ennepe, Mousa, ...

smime.p7s (10K) Download Attachment

Re: Ignoring /boot/loader.conf and /boot/loader.conf.local?

Kyle Evans-3
On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 7:56 AM Witzel, Stefan
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> on a system running FreeBSD 12.0 I want to run MongoDB (in a jail). According to https://vermaden.wordpress.com/tag/mongodb/ I tried to increase kern.maxproc.
>
> The default value was 99999. For testing purposes I first add
>
> kern.maxproc=100000
>
> to /boot/loader.conf and rebooted: the value has not changed; the same result editing /boot/loader.conf.local.
>
> Only if I edit /boot/defaults/loader.conf the value changed to 100000. Are there other restrictions on kern.maxproc?

Can you ship me a copy of your /boot/loader.conf (and
/boot/loader.conf.local, if it's not otherwise empty) with your
kern.maxproc addition? If you need to redact parts, please try to
leave the format otherwise intact using the following patterns:

key="secret value" -> key="<secret>"
key=secretnumber -> key=<secretnumber>

Note that key=secretnumber formatted lines (no quotes) do have to
actually have only numerics on the right hand side, generally.

Thanks,

Kyle Evans