Implement FreeBSD runc with the help of Jail

Implement FreeBSD runc with the help of Jail

freebsd-jail mailing list
Hi, all

Recently, I explored the possibility to implement a FreeBSD runtime (based on Jail) for opencontainers/runc. I have an experimental implementation of FreeBSD runc, which supports some of runc commands now.

Welcome any comments.

https://github.com/clovertrail/runc/tree/1501-SupportOnFreeBSD

Thanks
Hongjiang Zhang

Re: Implement FreeBSD runc with the help of Jail

Jov-2
Great´╝ü
I am trying to maintain and update the docker-freebsd port, I think maybe
it is easer to catch up the docker upstream if runc support FreeBSD.

Jov

[hidden email]>:

> Hi, all
>
> Recently, I explored the possibility to implement a FreeBSD runtime (based
> on Jail) for opencontainers/runc. I have an experimental implementation of
> FreeBSD runc, which supports some of runc commands now.
>
> Welcome any comments.
>
> https://github.com/clovertrail/runc/tree/1501-SupportOnFreeBSD
>
> Thanks
> Hongjiang Zhang

Re: Implement FreeBSD runc with the help of Jail

Alexander Leidinger
Quoting Hongjiang Zhang via freebsd-jail <[hidden email]>
(from Fri, 7 Jul 2017 02:05:52 +0000):

> Hi, all
>
> Recently, I explored the possibility to implement a FreeBSD runtime
> (based on Jail) for opencontainers/runc. I have an experimental
> implementation of FreeBSD runc, which supports some of runc commands
> now.
>
> Welcome any comments.
>
> https://github.com/clovertrail/runc/tree/1501-SupportOnFreeBSD
If I read this correctly, this implements FreeBSD native binaries in
the container. Did you experiment with a linux distribution inside
instead of FreeBSD? When the linux kernel module is loaded (or build
into the kernel), having a pure linux userland in a jail should work
too (I never tried it, but in case of issues I would like to see the
error messages, as I don't see a reason why this shouldn't work
(except the userland needs a syscall which is not implemented, but
Cent OS 6/7 should work as we use it for linux_base ports)).

Bye,
Alexander.
--
http://www.Leidinger.net [hidden email]: PGP 0x8F31830F9F2772BF