Information on starting a BSD User Group

Information on starting a BSD User Group

Glen Barber-2
Hello, list.

I am working with a few others to coordinate a BSD User Group near the
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania area, hopefully including northeast Maryland,
Delaware, and New Jersey.  Although I won't be relocating to the area for
approximately a month or so, I was hoping to get information, or a push in
the right direction, to what some BUGs have done to attract attention, gain
members, etc.

I have already searched for some LUGs in the area mentioned above, and
unfortunately have only found one, which was rather discouraging.  Any
information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--
Glen Barber

Re: Information on starting a BSD User Group

Julian Stacey
"Glen Barber" wrote:

> Hello, list.
>
> I am working with a few others to coordinate a BSD User Group near the
> Philadelphia, Pennsylvania area, hopefully including northeast Maryland,
> Delaware, and New Jersey.  Although I won't be relocating to the area for
> approximately a month or so, I was hoping to get information, or a push in
> the right direction, to what some BUGs have done to attract attention, gain
> members, etc.
>
> I have already searched for some LUGs in the area mentioned above, and
> unfortunately have only found one, which was rather discouraging.  Any
> information would be greatly appreciated.

I & others created one some years back. Still running:
        http://www.berklix.org/bim/

Like another club too, if you meet once a month, after a while it
gets less interesting & less come, then you do a presentation of
some tech & more come for a while, etc.  That dynamic's probably
similar to a Linux, an MS or even an Electronic engineers club.

Here we vary the location each time, so its not so boring, ( a
previous BSD group in this city died long ago after always meeting
at the same place) Some disliked varying etc & formed a splinter
group.  We still vote where we meet. In Berkeley Calif. they dont
vote, but have a simple rule of whoever announces first & assertively.
Some clubs in USA cover several towns, so they use a different town
each time.  One in UK uses same pub every month.

Quiet bright venues suit us: Listening to a soft spoken tech.  3
seats along who is maybe speaking or listening in a foreign language,
we don't appreciate music & candle dark places - we need to read
the sketch on back of an envelope.

Julian
--
Julian Stacey: BSDUnixLinux C Prog Admin SysEng Consult Munich www.berklix.com
        Mail just Ascii plain text.  HTML & Base64 text are spam.

Re: Information on starting a BSD User Group

Darrin Chandler
On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 11:07:44PM -0400, Glen Barber wrote:

> I am working with a few others to coordinate a BSD User Group near the
> Philadelphia, Pennsylvania area, hopefully including northeast Maryland,
> Delaware, and New Jersey.  Although I won't be relocating to the area for
> approximately a month or so, I was hoping to get information, or a push in
> the right direction, to what some BUGs have done to attract attention, gain
> members, etc.
>
> I have already searched for some LUGs in the area mentioned above, and
> unfortunately have only found one, which was rather discouraging.  Any
> information would be greatly appreciated.

Good for you!

You've found a LUG. See if you can find local groups for SAGE or LOPSA,
find the local Universities, community colleges, and tech schools, too.
Distribute announcements to mailing lists for the LUG and any tech
groups in the schools, etc. Just think of anywhere there might be
interest in BSD and get the word out.

For our group, I've found attendance ties closely with the presentation.
If there's a good presentation then people come. Write up a good
description and get it out on mailing lists and on your web site as soon
as you can.

Some of the people doing BSD User Groups have gotten together at
http://metabug.org/ so feel free to join us. We hang out online on
freenode in #metabug. Feel free to drop in and ask questions.

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
[hidden email]   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/

Re: Information on starting a BSD User Group

George Rosamond
Darrin Chandler wrote:

> On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 11:07:44PM -0400, Glen Barber wrote:
>> I am working with a few others to coordinate a BSD User Group near the
>> Philadelphia, Pennsylvania area, hopefully including northeast Maryland,
>> Delaware, and New Jersey.  Although I won't be relocating to the area for
>> approximately a month or so, I was hoping to get information, or a push in
>> the right direction, to what some BUGs have done to attract attention, gain
>> members, etc.
>>
>> I have already searched for some LUGs in the area mentioned above, and
>> unfortunately have only found one, which was rather discouraging.  Any
>> information would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Good for you!
>
> You've found a LUG. See if you can find local groups for SAGE or LOPSA,
> find the local Universities, community colleges, and tech schools, too.
> Distribute announcements to mailing lists for the LUG and any tech
> groups in the schools, etc. Just think of anywhere there might be
> interest in BSD and get the word out.
>
> For our group, I've found attendance ties closely with the presentation.
> If there's a good presentation then people come. Write up a good
> description and get it out on mailing lists and on your web site as soon
> as you can.
>
> Some of the people doing BSD User Groups have gotten together at
> http://metabug.org/ so feel free to join us. We hang out online on
> freenode in #metabug. Feel free to drop in and ask questions.

I was going to point out MetaBug. . . particularly since they seem
pretty close in distance from you. . .

It's Jason Dixon and crew in the capitol region. (jd's cc'd).

We are up the line in NYC (nycbug.org) and are focused on NYCBSDCon
(.org) for October.

I'd also recommend starting up a mailing list, getting the word out to
the various BSD lists related to BUGs in a broad way, and then seeing
what you have.  We are more than willing to host the list if you hit me
offline.

George

Re: Information on starting a BSD User Group

fuzzyping
On May 21, 2008, at 9:17 AM, George Rosamond wrote:

> Darrin Chandler wrote:
>> On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 11:07:44PM -0400, Glen Barber wrote:
>>> I am working with a few others to coordinate a BSD User Group near
>>> the
>>> Philadelphia, Pennsylvania area, hopefully including northeast
>>> Maryland,
>>> Delaware, and New Jersey.  Although I won't be relocating to the
>>> area for
>>> approximately a month or so, I was hoping to get information, or a
>>> push in
>>> the right direction, to what some BUGs have done to attract
>>> attention, gain
>>> members, etc.
>>>
>>> I have already searched for some LUGs in the area mentioned above,
>>> and
>>> unfortunately have only found one, which was rather discouraging.
>>> Any
>>> information would be greatly appreciated.
>> Good for you!
>> You've found a LUG. See if you can find local groups for SAGE or
>> LOPSA,
>> find the local Universities, community colleges, and tech schools,
>> too.
>> Distribute announcements to mailing lists for the LUG and any tech
>> groups in the schools, etc. Just think of anywhere there might be
>> interest in BSD and get the word out.
>> For our group, I've found attendance ties closely with the
>> presentation.
>> If there's a good presentation then people come. Write up a good
>> description and get it out on mailing lists and on your web site as
>> soon
>> as you can.
>> Some of the people doing BSD User Groups have gotten together at
>> http://metabug.org/ so feel free to join us. We hang out online on
>> freenode in #metabug. Feel free to drop in and ask questions.
>
> I was going to point out MetaBug. . . particularly since they seem
> pretty close in distance from you. . .
>
> It's Jason Dixon and crew in the capitol region. (jd's cc'd).
>
> We are up the line in NYC (nycbug.org) and are focused on NYCBSDCon
> (.org) for October.
>
> I'd also recommend starting up a mailing list, getting the word out
> to the various BSD lists related to BUGs in a broad way, and then
> seeing what you have.  We are more than willing to host the list if
> you hit me offline.

To clarify, "MetaBUG is everywhere".  The MetaBUG is a group of BUGs
worldwide collaborating for events, information, etc.  In the Maryland
area, we have the Capital Area BSD Users Group (http://capbug.org/).
We meet in Columbia, MD, which may be too far of a trek for you.

Thanks,

---
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting
http://www.dixongroup.net

Re: Information on starting a BSD User Group

Glen Barber-2
Wow.  I wasn't expecting this many replies this quickly.

> I was going to point out MetaBug. . . particularly since they seem pretty
> close in distance from you. . .

<snip>

> To clarify, "MetaBUG is everywhere".  The MetaBUG is a group of BUGs
> worldwide collaborating for events, information, etc.  In the Maryland area,
> we have the Capital Area BSD Users Group (http://capbug.org/).  We meet in
> Columbia, MD, which may be too far of a trek for you.

I have actually come across both MetaBUG and CapBUG, shortly after sending
my original email.

>> I'd also recommend starting up a mailing list, getting the word out to the
>> various BSD lists related to BUGs in a broad way, and then seeing what you
>> have.  We are more than willing to host the list if you hit me offline.

I've got a list server running on my site, so a ML won't be a problem.
However, won't some people see broadcasting a BUG via ML as spamming?  (I
don't want to get banned from any lists.)

Glen Barber

Re: Information on starting a BSD User Group

Sdävtaker
Hey, congrats.
I started a bug in Buenos Aires few months ago, same scenario.
We started making a mail-list in university as 0 mile, then we were
expanding outside of it, but we keep using university as meet point.
We meet once per month and run the list, we starting to join
freesoftware events.
We try to grow slowly, but solid.
MetaBUG helped us a lot, we posting meetings there and you can ask for
help in the chat :-)
good luck with the BUG!
Damian :-)

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 2:14 PM, Glen Barber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wow.  I wasn't expecting this many replies this quickly.
>

>> I was going to point out MetaBug. . . particularly since they seem pretty
>> close in distance from you. . .
>
> <snip>
>

>> To clarify, "MetaBUG is everywhere".  The MetaBUG is a group of BUGs
>> worldwide collaborating for events, information, etc.  In the Maryland area,
>> we have the Capital Area BSD Users Group (http://capbug.org/).  We meet in
>> Columbia, MD, which may be too far of a trek for you.
>>

> I have actually come across both MetaBUG and CapBUG, shortly after sending
> my original email.
>

>>> I'd also recommend starting up a mailing list, getting the word out to the
>>> various BSD lists related to BUGs in a broad way, and then seeing what you
>>> have.  We are more than willing to host the list if you hit me offline.
>>

> I've got a list server running on my site, so a ML won't be a problem.
> However, won't some people see broadcasting a BUG via ML as spamming?  (I
> don't want to get banned from any lists.)
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Glen Barber

Sdävtaker prays to Rikku goddess for a good treasure.

Re: Information on starting a BSD User Group

Glen Barber-2

> We started making a mail-list in university as 0 mile

I was hoping to do something similar, as I will be transferring to a
university in the Philadelphia area this coming semester.

> MetaBUG helped us a lot, we posting meetings there and you can ask for
> help in the chat :-)
> good luck with the BUG!

Thanks for the advice!

(PS.  Sorry, Sdävtaker -- meant to CC list on last email.)

Glen Barber