Install freeze while or immediately after finish copying the ports-collection

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Install freeze while or immediately after finish copying the ports-collection

Timm Florian Gloger
Hi list,

I am sorry to request help again, but now (after getting the system boot
with the install cd [see other messages]) the install process freezes
while or immediately after the copying the ports collection to my harddisk.

First i thought i could be my usb keyboard (thought i read something
like that somewhere else) but even with ps/2 devices the freeze occures.
Using an extern ftp server for installation is not possible since my
inboard 3com network interface seems to be not supported correctly.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Timm
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-stable
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Install freeze while or immediately after finish copying the ports-collection

Brandon Gale
Timm,

We had a similar problem during our install - the fix was to only
install the bare minimum to get the system running 6.0, then install
everything else after rebooting and re-running sysinstall.

Thanks,
Brandon

Timm Florian Gloger wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I am sorry to request help again, but now (after getting the system
> boot with the install cd [see other messages]) the install process
> freezes while or immediately after the copying the ports collection to
> my harddisk.
>
> First i thought i could be my usb keyboard (thought i read something
> like that somewhere else) but even with ps/2 devices the freeze occures.
> Using an extern ftp server for installation is not possible since my
> inboard 3com network interface seems to be not supported correctly.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
> Timm
> _______________________________________________
> [hidden email] mailing list
> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-stable
> To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
>
> .
>
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-stable
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Install freeze while or immediately after finish copying the ports-collection

Roland Smith
In reply to this post by Timm Florian Gloger
On Sat, Nov 12, 2005 at 09:36:24PM +0100, Timm Florian Gloger wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I am sorry to request help again, but now (after getting the system boot
> with the install cd [see other messages]) the install process freezes
> while or immediately after the copying the ports collection to my harddisk.

Have you verified the checksum of the ISO image after you downloaded it?

What happens if you don't install ports? (you can always do it later).

> First i thought i could be my usb keyboard (thought i read something
> like that somewhere else) but even with ps/2 devices the freeze occures.
> Using an extern ftp server for installation is not possible since my
> inboard 3com network interface seems to be not supported correctly.
>
> Any ideas?

How do you know that the network card doesn't work? If you go to the
emergency shell (alt-F4, IIRC) and type 'ifconfig', does it show a
network interface with 'media: Ethernet'?

Anyway, ftp install uses the same install program. So unless you have a
suspicion that it's the CD or the atapicd driver that causes the hang
instead of sysinstall, I don't think ftp install will make a difference.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.
public key: http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/pubkey.txt

attachment0 (194 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Install freeze while or immediately after finish copying the ports-collection

Timm Florian Gloger
* On 11/12/2005 9:55 PM  Roland Smith wrote:
>
> Have you verified the checksum of the ISO image after you downloaded it?
>
> What happens if you don't install ports? (you can always do it later).
>

Yep. Checksums are ok.
If i just install a minimal system as Brandon suggested, the
installation process works properly (except that disk geometry allegedly
wrong, but the system-guessed values are correct for LBA mode).

>
> How do you know that the network card doesn't work? If you go to the
> emergency shell (alt-F4, IIRC) and type 'ifconfig', does it show a
> network interface with 'media: Ethernet'?
>

Yes. The card is detected and also configured while the install process,
but every try to connect to a ftp server fails.

Sadly, another problem occured after rebooting. The slave harddisk had
debian on it  before the installation of BSD with grub written into the
MBR. The problem is, i seems that bsd writes its own bootloader into th
MBR of the slave harddisk. So grub is still in the master's MBR but the
config files are of course not addressable.

So is it possible to instruct the sysinstall to write its bootloader to
the mbr of the master harddisk and detect and conigure winxp for dual boot?

Thanks
Timm
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-stable
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Install freeze while or immediately after finish copying the ports-collection

Roland Smith
On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 05:22:34PM +0100, Timm Florian Gloger wrote:
> If i just install a minimal system as Brandon suggested, the
> installation process works properly (except that disk geometry allegedly
> wrong, but the system-guessed values are correct for LBA mode).

Well, that's something.

> >How do you know that the network card doesn't work? If you go to the
> >emergency shell (alt-F4, IIRC) and type 'ifconfig', does it show a
> >network interface with 'media: Ethernet'?
> >
>
> Yes. The card is detected and also configured while the install process,
> but every try to connect to a ftp server fails.

Do you have a router and/or firewall? If so, is it configured correctly
to let ftp from this machine through?

<snip>
> So is it possible to instruct the sysinstall to write its bootloader to
> the mbr of the master harddisk and detect and conigure winxp for dual boot?

I think this is covered in the Handbook.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.
public key: http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/pubkey.txt

attachment0 (194 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Install freeze while or immediately after finish copying the ports-collection

Timm Florian Gloger
Thanks for all your help.

After installing the bootloader correctly, 6.0 boots well and fast.
Also network is runnig now. Seems sysinstall did not bring it up after
configuring, so i didi this manualy on the holo shell.

I noticed a mistake i made during the diagnostic of the freezes. They
may not be just the result of the atapi devices.

After booting for a several times now i got 2 more freezes in not
coherent periods of time after logging in.

i am able to access the fs through the other os so i checked the message
and other logfiles, but i cannot find any panic or other bad logentries.

Any ideas/ suggestions?

(Will post this as a new thread)
Thanks a lot again

Timm
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-stable
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

6.0 freezes shortly after logging in.

Timm Florian Gloger
In reply to this post by Roland Smith
Hi list,

I get some strange freezes with my fresh 6.0 installation.

After booting for a several times now i got 2 more freezes in not
coherent periods of time after logging in.

It is a complete freeze as far as i can explore, neither any keyboard
nor mouse input is noticed and keyboard "hangs" also (no numblock/
shiftlock switching possible).

I am able to access the fs through the other os so i checked the message
and other logfiles, but i cannot find any panic or other bad logentries.


Any ideas/ suggestions?

(Will post this as a new thread)
Thanks a lot again

Timm

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-stable
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 6.0 freezes shortly after logging in.

Roland Smith
On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 10:50:29PM +0100, Timm Florian Gloger wrote:

> After booting for a several times now i got 2 more freezes in not
> coherent periods of time after logging in.

If it's freezing unpredictably, I'd suspect hardware trouble. Bad RAM
(try memtest86) or a powersupply that can't cope.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.
public key: http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/pubkey.txt

attachment0 (194 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 6.0 freezes shortly after logging in.

Timm Florian Gloger
* On 11/13/2005 10:54 PM  Roland Smith wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 10:50:29PM +0100, Timm Florian Gloger wrote:
>
>
>>After booting for a several times now i got 2 more freezes in not
>>coherent periods of time after logging in.
>
>
> If it's freezing unpredictably, I'd suspect hardware trouble. Bad RAM
> (try memtest86) or a powersupply that can't cope.
>
> Roland

Well it may be that the time the machine was up the other times was not
long enough to make the freeze occure. Powersupply can be excluded, it
is a 350W enermax. never had any problems with it and winxp is still
running rock solid. There was also no heavy cpu usage or heat when the
system froze.
will run memtest86 and see what it comes up with.

is there any other chance to get some information of the time shortly
before the freeze out of the system other than the standard logfies?
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-stable
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 6.0 freezes shortly after logging in.

Roland Smith
On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 11:11:49PM +0100, Timm Florian Gloger wrote:

> is there any other chance to get some information of the time shortly
> before the freeze out of the system other than the standard logfies?

Syslog is programmed to fsync(2) after writing messages from the kernel,
unless you put a '-' in front of the destination filename. So if you
don't see anything in the logfiles, that probably because there wasn't
anything.

However, it is possible to divert the syslog output to another machine
(that's also running syslogd). See the syslog.conf manpage.

Have you enabled crashdumps? If there is a kernel panic instead of a
hard hang, you might get some info from a crashdump.

If you feel up to it, read chapter 10 (kernel debugging) in the FreeBSD
Developers' Handbook. It is possible to debug a system remotely via a
serial line.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.
public key: http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/pubkey.txt

attachment0 (194 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 6.0 freezes shortly after logging in.

Doug White-2
In reply to this post by Timm Florian Gloger
On Sun, 13 Nov 2005, Timm Florian Gloger wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I get some strange freezes with my fresh 6.0 installation.
>
> After booting for a several times now i got 2 more freezes in not
> coherent periods of time after logging in.
>
> It is a complete freeze as far as i can explore, neither any keyboard
> nor mouse input is noticed and keyboard "hangs" also (no numblock/
> shiftlock switching possible).
>
> I am able to access the fs through the other os so i checked the message
> and other logfiles, but i cannot find any panic or other bad logentries.

Try turning off background fsck by adding this to your rc.conf and
rebooting:

background_fsck="NO"

--
Doug White                    |  FreeBSD: The Power to Serve
[hidden email]          |  www.FreeBSD.org
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-stable
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 6.0 freezes shortly after logging in (and at install)

Alex Popa
In reply to this post by Timm Florian Gloger
On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 10:50:29PM +0100, Timm Florian Gloger wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I get some strange freezes with my fresh 6.0 installation.
>
> After booting for a several times now i got 2 more freezes in not
> coherent periods of time after logging in.
>
> It is a complete freeze as far as i can explore, neither any keyboard
> nor mouse input is noticed and keyboard "hangs" also (no numblock/
> shiftlock switching possible).
>
> I am able to access the fs through the other os so i checked the message
> and other logfiles, but i cannot find any panic or other bad logentries.
>
>
> Any ideas/ suggestions?
>
> (Will post this as a new thread)
> Thanks a lot again
>
> Timm

I have had similar problems with the install / running of FreeBSD 6.0.
For me, the install would freeze at random points in unpacking the
distributions (once catman, once some soures - ssys if I remember
correctly).  I suspected CD or ATA problems - checked the downloaded
image against the MD5 and SHA256 signatures, was OK.  Then re-read the
physical CD into MD5, on two different CD-ROM units, and it seemed OK.

Another lockup occured with sysinstall, at partitioning my FreeBSD
slice, while simply trying to type backspace to delete the pre-set size
and type something of my own as the partition size.  Note that wasn't
the first time I typed backspace, but after already deleting a few
chars.

All of the previous lockups were HARD - in textmode, on the primary
console, no messages on screen, power button wouldn't work, NumLock
wouldn't work.


The solution (as suggested in the Undernet #FreeBSD channel) was to boot
with ACPI disabled.  The system works now with no problems (ACPI still
disabled).

5.4 still works perfectly (including nvidia video card / ethernet from
ports) with ACPI enabled.


Hardware info:  Motherboard Asus A7N8X, CPU: AMD Sempron 2800+, 1 GB RAM
(dual channel).  System runs fine under FreeBSD 5.4-stable (a of 2 weeks
ago), and under Windows XP.  At the time, the addon cards were an ed0
and a rl0 network cards (both PCI), and a SB Live! soundcard.  The
integrated soundcard was disabled in the BIOS, the integrated network
card (nve0) was enabled.  Video card:  NVidia GeForce FX 5700LE.

PS:  I have booted the 6.0 install CD with verbose logging, but still
nothing was printed on screen at the time of lockup.


Hope this helps
        Alex

[PS:  If required, I can add dmesg from both 5.4-STABLE and 6.0-RELEASE,
but I'm not sure I still have the original kernel on disk for 6.0]

------------+-------------------------------------------------------
Alex Popa,  |  "Computer science is no more about computers than
[hidden email]|     astronomy is about telescopes" -- E. W. Dijkstra
------------+-------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-stable
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 6.0 freezes shortly after logging in (and at install)

Timm Florian Gloger
* On 11/14/2005 10:15 AM  Alex Popa wrote:

>
> The solution (as suggested in the Undernet #FreeBSD channel) was to boot
> with ACPI disabled.  The system works now with no problems (ACPI still
> disabled).
>

I tried that, this evening and the machine runs fine for now.
Thanks so far.
But this is not nice. Did the guys from #FreeBSD tell anything if this
is a known issue on some systems or if there are PRs filed according to
this?
Otherwise i think i will file a PR and see if i can get this reproduceable.

Timm


_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-stable
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 6.0 freezes shortly after logging in (and at install)

Lowell Gilbert-7
Timm Florian Gloger <[hidden email]> writes:

> * On 11/14/2005 10:15 AM  Alex Popa wrote:
>
> > The solution (as suggested in the Undernet #FreeBSD channel) was to
> > boot
> > with ACPI disabled.  The system works now with no problems (ACPI still
> > disabled).
> >
>
> I tried that, this evening and the machine runs fine for now.
> Thanks so far.
> But this is not nice. Did the guys from #FreeBSD tell anything if this
> is a known issue on some systems or if there are PRs filed according
> to this?
> Otherwise i think i will file a PR and see if i can get this reproduceable.

Fine, but please read the "using and debugging FreeBSD ACPI" section
of the Handbook first.
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-stable
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"