Installation on Blade 1500

freebsd-sparc64 mailing list
Hello,
Realising that I can  no longer get useable (for what I need) Solaris 10 system,
I tried to install FreeBSD on Blade 1500 (Silver) with XVR-600.
The images from 11.1 and 11.2 releases freeze after saying "jumping to kernel entry 0xc00b0000" - I tried both CD and DVD images. The image 12.0-BETA3 freeze after saying "jumping to kernel entry at 0xc00c0000". In both cases there were some residual sound from the DVD drive stopping after a short while.
The Blade is good for testing the images as it is right now.... Your advice and suggestions are very welcome.
Many thanks,AB

Re: Installation on Blade 1500

Kurt Lidl-2
On 11/7/18 5:05 PM, burluka--- via freebsd-sparc64 wrote:
> Hello,
> Realising that I can  no longer get useable (for what I need) Solaris 10 system,
> I tried to install FreeBSD on Blade 1500 (Silver) with XVR-600.
> The images from 11.1 and 11.2 releases freeze after saying "jumping to kernel entry 0xc00b0000" - I tried both CD and DVD images. The image 12.0-BETA3 freeze after saying "jumping to kernel entry at 0xc00c0000". In both cases there were some residual sound from the DVD drive stopping after a short while.
> The Blade is good for testing the images as it is right now.... Your advice and suggestions are very welcome.

I would suggest trying the most recent 11.2/stable snapshot on the
machine, and see if it works.  I would try this image:

http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/ISO-IMAGES/11.2/FreeBSD-11.2-STABLE-sparc64-20181101-r339976-disc1.iso.xz

-Kurt

Re: Installation on Blade 1500

freebsd-sparc64 mailing list

Thanks,
I have tried this one (is it the same as the 11.2 release from the main download site?). Anyway, it hangs just the same after "jumping to kernel entry 0xc00b000"
I am certain that the hardware is fine.
Cheers,AB

On 11/7/18 5:05 PM, burluka--- via freebsd-sparc64 wrote:
> Hello,
> Realising that I can  no longer get useable (for what I need) Solaris 10 system,
> I tried to install FreeBSD on Blade 1500 (Silver) with XVR-600.
> The images from 11.1 and 11.2 releases freeze after saying "jumping to kernel entry 0xc00b0000" - I tried both CD and DVD images. The image 12.0-BETA3 freeze after saying "jumping to kernel entry at 0xc00c0000". In both cases there were some residual sound from the DVD drive stopping after a short while.
> The Blade is good for testing the images as it is right now.... Your advice and suggestions are very welcome.

I would suggest trying the most recent 11.2/stable snapshot on the
machine, and see if it works.  I would try this image:

http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/ISO-IMAGES/11.2/FreeBSD-11.2-STABLE-sparc64-20181101-r339976-disc1.iso.xz

-Kurt

Re: Installation on Blade 1500

Mark Linimon-2
On Thu, Nov 08, 2018 at 09:35:02PM +0000, burluka--- via freebsd-sparc64 wrote:
> I have tried this one (is it the same as the 11.2 release from the
> main download site?).

11.2-STABLE will contain more development work than 11.2-RELEASE.

fwiw I just installed 11.2-RELEASE yesterday on a v245 and everything
works fine.  So, the regression seems machine-specific.

mcl