Installing drivers onto WinPE image for bhyve

Installing drivers onto WinPE image for bhyve

Darren David-2
Hey all-

I'm working on a project to migrate some VMs over from ESXi to bhyve. I'm
making a bit of progress (and will absolutely document what I've learned if
and when I get it to work!), but I'm hung up on doing some EFI boot repair.
I've got a WinPE disk image with some partition fixing software I'm wanting
to try, but when the VM boots into the partition software, the only thing
that works under VNC is the Tab key (!). No other keys, no mouse.

I'm guessing I need to load some additional drivers to get this to play
nice, but can anyone possibly tell me what drivers I need to get additional
input working in Windows under Bhyve?

Thank you in advance for any and all help,
Darren

Re: Installing drivers onto WinPE image for bhyve

Jason Barbier
Giving us your launch options/VM Configs would probably help. depending on how you have the disks attached you may not need any drivers.

---
Jason Barbier | E: [hidden email]

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019, at 11:30 AM, Darren David wrote:

> Hey all-
>
> I'm working on a project to migrate some VMs over from ESXi to bhyve. I'm
> making a bit of progress (and will absolutely document what I've learned if
> and when I get it to work!), but I'm hung up on doing some EFI boot repair.
> I've got a WinPE disk image with some partition fixing software I'm wanting
> to try, but when the VM boots into the partition software, the only thing
> that works under VNC is the Tab key (!). No other keys, no mouse.
>
> I'm guessing I need to load some additional drivers to get this to play
> nice, but can anyone possibly tell me what drivers I need to get additional
> input working in Windows under Bhyve?
>
> Thank you in advance for any and all help,
> Darren

Re: Installing drivers onto WinPE image for bhyve

Darren David-2
Certainly, Jason. I should also mention I'm running this VM under FreeNAS
11.2-RELEASE. Basic details (from FreeNSD UI) are:

   - Type Bhyve
   - Autostart: false
   - Virtual CPUs: 2
   - Memory: 4096
   - BootLoader: UEFI
   - Com Port: /dev/nmdm8B

The ISO is simply mounted as a CDROM.

I've got two other VMs working just fine on this server (Linux and Windows
10), but both were created/installed from original ISO installers. The VM
with issues is a Windows 7 VM I'm attempting to port from ESXi. So far, I
have converted the .vmdk to a RAW image with virtualbox, dd'd the RAW file
to a ZFS zvol, and set that as the primary storage for this VM. The good
news is that the drive shows up, but upon boot the VM just dumps out into
EFI shell. My thinking was to boot into a third-party windows EFI partition
fixer (in this case, it's a WinPE disk that loads EaseUS Partition Master,
which is the application having the input driver issues - only the Tab key
works. I did try using the OEM Windows recovery utils, but it didn't solve
my boot woes). Mind you, I've not found any evidence of folks successfully
porting VMs from ESXi to bhyve, so please stop me now if it's known that
this isn't something that can be done!

FWIW, I'm fairly new to bhyve virtualization, so if there's a very clear
RTFM pointer out there that might clear some of this up, I'm happy to
review on my own time.

Darren

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 11:39 AM Jason Barbier <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Giving us your launch options/VM Configs would probably help. depending on
> how you have the disks attached you may not need any drivers.
>
> ---
> Jason Barbier | E: [hidden email]
>

> On Wed, Jan 23, 2019, at 11:30 AM, Darren David wrote:
> > Hey all-
> >
> > I'm working on a project to migrate some VMs over from ESXi to bhyve. I'm
> > making a bit of progress (and will absolutely document what I've learned
> if
> > and when I get it to work!), but I'm hung up on doing some EFI boot
> repair.
> > I've got a WinPE disk image with some partition fixing software I'm
> wanting
> > to try, but when the VM boots into the partition software, the only thing
> > that works under VNC is the Tab key (!). No other keys, no mouse.
> >
> > I'm guessing I need to load some additional drivers to get this to play
> > nice, but can anyone possibly tell me what drivers I need to get
> additional
> > input working in Windows under Bhyve?
> >
> > Thank you in advance for any and all help,
> > Darren

Re: Installing drivers onto WinPE image for bhyve

Jason Barbier
Yeah there really isnt an RTFM for this one. so what I would try is
using the raw image file just like you would a drive, technically you
should be able to DD it to the zvol but lets try to retrace the baby
steps here.
Also I would make sure the windows image is actually setup for UEFI boot
or try the UEFI-CSM firmware for it. if you look in the same folder you
installed the UEFI firmware there should be a file that contains UEFI-
CSM in the name. That is just a legacy boot mode for UEFI that I have
had luck getting somethings that are picky about EFI to boot.
---