Installing executables with generic names

Installing executables with generic names

Mikhail T.-6
Hello!

I'm preparing a new port (net/udt), which installs a library with its
header file and a handful of sample applications.

The applications are rather generically named: sendfile, recvfile,
test... Having them in ${PREFIX}/bin
like that would be confusing.

I see two alternatives:

  * use a port-specific prefix for each binary: udt-sendfile,
    udt-recvfile, udt-test, etc.
    or
  * use a port-specific subdirectory: ${PREFIX}/bin/udt/ (lua seems to
    do this)

The first is simpler for me, but might be a trouble for anyone porting a
script in the future, which calls the binaries by their generic name...

Opinions? Thanks! Yours,

    -mi

Re: Installing executables with generic names

scheidell

On 2/14/12 8:26 AM, Mikhail T. wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm preparing a new port (net/udt), which installs a library with its
> header file and a handful of sample applications.
>

>  * use a port-specific subdirectory: ${PREFIX}/bin/udt/ (lua seems to
>    do this)

EXAMPLESDIR

In your port dir, type:

make -V EXAMPLESDIR

you can put them there if you like.

(don't forget pkg-plist:  %%EXAMPLESDIR%% already trimmed for %%PREFIX%%)

> The first is simpler for me, but might be a trouble for anyone porting
> a script in the future, which calls the binaries by their generic name...
>
> Opinions? Thanks! Yours,
>
>    -mi

Michael Scheidell, CTO
o: 561-999-5000
d: 561-948-2259
 >*| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

    * Best Mobile Solutions Product of 2011
    * Best Intrusion Prevention Product
    * Hot Company Finalist 2011
    * Best Email Security Product
    * Certified SNORT Integrator

On 14.02.2012 10:25, Michael Scheidell wrote:
> EXAMPLESDIR

I thought, EXAMPLESDIR is for actual examples, such as source code, not compiled
and fully-functional executables... Indeed, the directory is under
${PREFIX}/share -- which, according to hier(7) is for architecture-independent
files.

On 2/14/12 11:18 AM, Mikhail T. wrote:

> On 14.02.2012 10:25, Michael Scheidell wrote:
>> EXAMPLESDIR
>
> I thought, EXAMPLESDIR is for actual examples, such as source code,
> not compiled and fully-functional executables... Indeed, the directory
> is under ${PREFIX}/share -- which, according to hier(7) is for
> architecture-independent files.
>
>     -min,

then, put them into EXAMPLESDIR/{arch}...

or put them anywhere you want.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
o: 561-999-5000
d: 561-948-2259
 >*| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

    * Best Mobile Solutions Product of 2011
    * Best Intrusion Prevention Product
    * Hot Company Finalist 2011
    * Best Email Security Product
    * Certified SNORT Integrator

Re: Installing executables with generic names

Ion-Mihai Tetcu-3
On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 11:49:00 -0500
Michael Scheidell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/14/12 11:18 AM, Mikhail T. wrote:
> > On 14.02.2012 10:25, Michael Scheidell wrote:
> >> EXAMPLESDIR
> >
> > I thought, EXAMPLESDIR is for actual examples, such as source code,
> > not compiled and fully-functional executables... Indeed, the
> > directory is under ${PREFIX}/share -- which, according to hier(7)
> > is for architecture-independent files.
> >
> >     -min,
> >

> then, put them into EXAMPLESDIR/{arch}...
>
> or put them anywhere you want.

No, if they are binaries they don't have any reason to be in
EXAMPLESDIR. The other idea of prefixing them is _much_ better.

  "Intellectual Property" is   nowhere near as valuable   as "Intellect"
FreeBSD committer -> [hidden email], PGP Key ID 057E9F8B493A297B

On 14.02.2012 13:17, Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
> The other idea of prefixing them is_much_  better.

Ok, so which flavor of prefixing do you prefer? Should the executable "bar" be
installed as bin/foo-bar or as bin/foo/bar?

    -mi

Re: Installing executables with generic names

Chris Rees-2
On 14 Feb 2012 18:54, "Mikhail T." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 14.02.2012 13:17, Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
>>
>> The other idea of prefixing them is_much_  better.
>

> Ok, so which flavor of prefixing do you prefer? Should the executable
"bar" be installed as bin/foo-bar or as bin/foo/bar?

bin/foo-bar means it can still be called without an explicit path, so that
is better.

Look for autoconf hooks to add prefices this way (if it uses configure...)

Chris

Re: Installing executables with generic names

Ade Lovett
On 2/14/2012 11:27, Chris Rees wrote:
> bin/foo-bar means it can still be called without an explicit path, so that
> is better.
>
> Look for autoconf hooks to add prefices this way (if it uses configure...)

Please also don't forget to scream at the upstream to stop using such
generic names too.  Otherwise we're going to potentially be looking at a
lot of patching in dependent ports:  s#generic#foo-generic#

-aDe