Instant crash starting VBox on 12.0-Stable

Instant crash starting VBox on 12.0-Stable

Kevin Oberman-4
After updating my system to 12 and re-installing all ports, the system is
panicing when I try to run VirtualBox. There have been several bugs opened
where VBox crashes the system instantly when started. Not the virtual
system, but the GUI to start (or manage) virtual systems.

I have two slightly different crashes, one failing from vboxnetadp.ko and
the other crashing in ifindex_alloc in if.c called from vboxnetadp.ko. In
both cases, the panic was triggered in vboxNetAdpOsCreate.

I'll admit that I was surprised to see these happen even before any VM was
started or touched.

With possibly three tickets on this, I see no responses to any of them. I
will add my report of one of them. They really should be merged, though,
and I am not sure which one will be the final one. I do have both full
dumps and can make them available.

I really need to resolve this rather soon or fall back to 11.2. Even though
I have backups, it will be quite  pain!
--
Kevin Oberman, Part time kid herder and retired Network
Engineerifindex_alloc

Re: Instant crash starting VBox on 12.0-Stable

Kevin Oberman-4
On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 10:26 PM Kevin Oberman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After updating my system to 12 and re-installing all ports, the system is
> panicing when I try to run VirtualBox. There have been several bugs opened
> where VBox crashes the system instantly when started. Not the virtual
> system, but the GUI to start (or manage) virtual systems.
>
> I have two slightly different crashes, one failing from vboxnetadp.ko and
> the other crashing in ifindex_alloc in if.c called from vboxnetadp.ko. In
> both cases, the panic was triggered in vboxNetAdpOsCreate.
>
> I'll admit that I was surprised to see these happen even before any VM was
> started or touched.
>
> With possibly three tickets on this, I see no responses to any of them. I
> will add my report of one of them. They really should be merged, though,
> and I am not sure which one will be the final one. I do have both full
> dumps and can make them available.
>
> I really need to resolve this rather soon or fall back to 11.2. Even
> though I have backups, it will be quite  pain!\

I have confirmed that the problem exists prior to the branch of 12-STABLE.

Can anyone confirm running VirtualBox on head after 11.0-Release? Moving
back in time in SVN is tricky, and, in this case, sometimes requires
rolling back ports. Any aid in narrowing the failure window would help.
E-mail: [hidden email]

RE: Instant crash starting VBox on 12.0-Stable

Dale Scott
Fwiw, I am running virtualbox-ose-nox11-5.2.22 on FreeBSD 11.2 with (almost)
no issues. I installed virtualbox-ose-nox11 using pkg, then compiled
virtualbox-ose-kmod from ports (compiling kmod on the box was required about
a year ago or the system would crash at boot, and I follow the same
procedure after pkg upgrade).

I use phpvirtualbox for a UI, which reports an error if I try to snapshot
(so I don't snapshot). The only time vbox has crashed was once when I tried
running two vms, and I assumed it was due to insufficient memory or some
other system issue, and not virtualbox per se.

Dale

Thanks for the info, but it has never been a problem on 11. I am running it
on 11.2-Stable of last week. The problem pops up only on 12. I will next
try something in mid-September, but I fear that the change that triggers
the crash goes back much further. It may take a while.

Per Hedeland
On 2018-12-22 19:19, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> Can anyone confirm running VirtualBox on head after 11.0-Release?

Apparently you meant to ask "after 12.0-RELEASE", though I'm not sure
about the "after" - anyway *on* 12.0-RELEASE, I'm running
virtualbox-ose-5.2.18_1 (from package) with
virtualbox-ose-kmod-5.2.22_1 (from port) without problems. Pretty
light usage though, a single VM running Linux, started "directly" with
"VirtualBox --startvm xxx" and only access via ssh. Starting the
"manager application" i.e. plain "VirtualBox", works fine too, though.

But, I'm not loading any vboxnet* modules (seems to be more than one
these days), only vboxdrv - and that via kld_list in rc.conf, i.e. I
have no vbox* variables set there. After fighting with the networking
setup (in more complex cases, that I don't currently use) with first
vmware and then qemu I decided to do as little as possible of that
with VirtualBox itself - only bridge to a tapN device, and do the rest
("actual" bridging/routing) with the standard FreeBSD functionality.

--Per Hedeland

On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 3:58 PM Per Hedeland <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2018-12-22 19:19, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone confirm running VirtualBox on head after 11.0-Release?
>
> Apparently you meant to ask "after 12.0-RELEASE", though I'm not sure
> about the "after" - anyway *on* 12.0-RELEASE, I'm running
> virtualbox-ose-5.2.18_1 (from package) with
> virtualbox-ose-kmod-5.2.22_1 (from port) without problems. Pretty
> light usage though, a single VM running Linux, started "directly" with
> "VirtualBox --startvm xxx" and only access via ssh. Starting the
> "manager application" i.e. plain "VirtualBox", works fine too, though.
>
> But, I'm not loading any vboxnet* modules (seems to be more than one
> these days), only vboxdrv - and that via kld_list in rc.conf, i.e. I
> have no vbox* variables set there. After fighting with the networking
> setup (in more complex cases, that I don't currently use) with first
> vmware and then qemu I decided to do as little as possible of that
> with VirtualBox itself - only bridge to a tapN device, and do the rest
> ("actual" bridging/routing) with the standard FreeBSD functionality.
>
> --Per Hedeland

No, I actually meant "be4fore", but I guess it depends on your point of
view.. The issue was first reported on RC2, and I have now tested to before
the branch of 12 from head. I am about to test on head from August. It has
worked on 11.2 all the way through Dec. 17, so it is something that changed
some time ago. Your experience tells me that, as I had suspected, that the
issue is with the network module which you do not use. So I am just hoping
that someone who was testing head and used VirtualBox with networking.

Thanks for the report. It certainly help a bit. Now to boot the August 2018
kernel and see what happens.

On 2018-12-23 06:13, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 3:58 PM Per Hedeland <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On 2018-12-22 19:19, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>      >
>      > Can anyone confirm running VirtualBox on head after 11.0-Release?
>
>     Apparently you meant to ask "after 12.0-RELEASE", though I'm not sure
>     about the "after" - anyway *on* 12.0-RELEASE, I'm running
>     virtualbox-ose-5.2.18_1 (from package) with
>     virtualbox-ose-kmod-5.2.22_1 (from port) without problems. Pretty
>     light usage though, a single VM running Linux, started "directly" with
>     "VirtualBox --startvm xxx" and only access via ssh. Starting the
>     "manager application" i.e. plain "VirtualBox", works fine too, though.
>
>     But, I'm not loading any vboxnet* modules (seems to be more than one
>     these days), only vboxdrv - and that via kld_list in rc.conf, i.e. I
>     have no vbox* variables set there. After fighting with the networking
>     setup (in more complex cases, that I don't currently use) with first
>     vmware and then qemu I decided to do as little as possible of that
>     with VirtualBox itself - only bridge to a tapN device, and do the rest
>     ("actual" bridging/routing) with the standard FreeBSD functionality.
>
>     --Per Hedeland
>

> No, I actually meant "be4fore", but I guess it depends on your point of view.. The issue was first reported on RC2, and I have now tested to before the branch of 12 from head. I am about to test on
> head from August. It has worked on 11.2 all the way through Dec. 17, so it is something that changed some time ago. Your experience tells me that, as I had suspected, that the issue is with the
> network module which you do not use. So I am just hoping that someone who was testing head and used VirtualBox with networking.

Well, I do use "VirtualBox with networking" - as I wrote, bridged to a
tapN device, which doesn't require the vboxnet* modules. (I then, with
a bit of overkill for this setup, have created a standard FreeBSD
"bridge" interface to which I "addm" both the tapN (via a devd action)
and my physical ethernet interface.) I am not aware of any
functionality that the "builtin" VirtualBox networking provides that I
can't achieve without it. But of course if you are specifically
interested in using it, I don't have any relevant info.

--Per

On Sun, Dec 23, 2018 at 2:21 AM Per Hedeland <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2018-12-23 06:13, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 3:58 PM Per Hedeland <[hidden email] <mailto:
> [hidden email]>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 2018-12-22 19:19, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> >      >
> >      > Can anyone confirm running VirtualBox on head after 11.0-Release?
> >
> >     Apparently you meant to ask "after 12.0-RELEASE", though I'm not sure
> >     about the "after" - anyway *on* 12.0-RELEASE, I'm running
> >     virtualbox-ose-5.2.18_1 (from package) with
> >     virtualbox-ose-kmod-5.2.22_1 (from port) without problems. Pretty
> >     light usage though, a single VM running Linux, started "directly"
> with
> >     "VirtualBox --startvm xxx" and only access via ssh. Starting the
> >     "manager application" i.e. plain "VirtualBox", works fine too,
> though.
> >
> >     But, I'm not loading any vboxnet* modules (seems to be more than one
> >     these days), only vboxdrv - and that via kld_list in rc.conf, i.e. I
> >     have no vbox* variables set there. After fighting with the networking
> >     setup (in more complex cases, that I don't currently use) with first
> >     vmware and then qemu I decided to do as little as possible of that
> >     with VirtualBox itself - only bridge to a tapN device, and do the
> rest
> >     ("actual" bridging/routing) with the standard FreeBSD functionality.
> >
> >     --Per Hedeland
> >

> > No, I actually meant "be4fore", but I guess it depends on your point of
> view.. The issue was first reported on RC2, and I have now tested to before
> the branch of 12 from head. I am about to test on
> > head from August. It has worked on 11.2 all the way through Dec. 17, so
> it is something that changed some time ago. Your experience tells me that,
> as I had suspected, that the issue is with the
> > network module which you do not use. So I am just hoping that someone
> who was testing head and used VirtualBox with networking.
>
> Well, I do use "VirtualBox with networking" - as I wrote, bridged to a
> tapN device, which doesn't require the vboxnet* modules. (I then, with
> a bit of overkill for this setup, have created a standard FreeBSD
> "bridge" interface to which I "addm" both the tapN (via a devd action)
> and my physical ethernet interface.) I am not aware of any
> functionality that the "builtin" VirtualBox networking provides that I
> can't achieve without it. But of course if you are specifically
> interested in using it, I don't have any relevant info.
>
> --Per
>
> > Thanks for the report. It certainly help a bit. Now to boot the August
> 2018 kernel and see what happens.

Problem resolved. Turns out that VIMAGE is now required for 12.0. If you
install the package, it is built with VIMAGE, but, if you build the port
and had the old default , it didn't change and you got no indication that
the default has changed. The default was changed 4 days after head made
VIMAGE the default, so it looks like having VIMAGE selected when the kernel
is buiit without it is not an issue. It works with VIMAGE detected on 11.2
where the kernel does not default to VIMAGE.

It looks like the appropriate choice is to eliminate the option if there is
no reason for it.

Thanks to Ivo Karabojkov for reporting the solution!
E-mail: [hidden email]