Is FreeBSD-current XHCI 1.1 compliant?

Rajesh Kumar
Hi,

Is FreeBSD-current XHCI 1.1 compliant? or Is it just XHCI 1.0 compliant
supporting upto USB 3.0?

Re: Is FreeBSD-current XHCI 1.1 compliant?

Hans Petter Selasky-6
On 08/09/18 08:42, Rajesh Kumar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is FreeBSD-current XHCI 1.1 compliant? or Is it just XHCI 1.0 compliant
> supporting upto USB 3.0?

Hi,

No changes has been made for XHCI 1.1 compliancy. Are you aware of any
changes we should implement?

--HPS

Re: Is FreeBSD-current XHCI 1.1 compliant?

Rajesh Kumar
No, I am not aware of any changes to be done specifically. But just wanted
to know whether the -CURRENT code is compliant to the latest standard.

What I understand is, with XHCI 1.1, USB 3.1 is supported with speed of
upto 10Gbps. But freebsd xhci manpage says, it supports upto USB 3.0 with
speed upto 5Gbps. So, just wondering whether anything done in FreeBSD with
respect to XHCI 1.1 (or) any plans for the same?

Anyway, Thanks for the quick turn-around.

On 08/09/18 10:25, Rajesh Kumar wrote:
> No, I am not aware of any changes to be done specifically. But just wanted
> to know whether the -CURRENT code is compliant to the latest standard.
>
> What I understand is, with XHCI 1.1, USB 3.1 is supported with speed of
> upto 10Gbps. But freebsd xhci manpage says, it supports upto USB 3.0 with
> speed upto 5Gbps. So, just wondering whether anything done in FreeBSD with
> respect to XHCI 1.1 (or) any plans for the same?
>
> Anyway, Thanks for the quick turn-around.

Hi,

The FreeBSD XHCI driver does not use the speed information provided by
the XHCI PCI descriptors currently nor any internal registers. Even if
the device is 10Gbps capable it will be listed as 5Gbps. If you have an
XHCI 1.1 device and the FreeBSD XHCI driver works, we might want to
update the manual page.

--HPS

Re: Is FreeBSD-current XHCI 1.1 compliant?

Rajesh Kumar
Ok Hans, I don't have any XHCI 1.1 device at this point. I raised the
question in general to know the state in FreeBSD.  If I come across any
inputs, I will definitely update the group.

Thanks.

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 1:59 PM Hans Petter Selasky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 08/09/18 10:25, Rajesh Kumar wrote:
> > No, I am not aware of any changes to be done specifically. But just
> wanted
> > to know whether the -CURRENT code is compliant to the latest standard.
> >
> > What I understand is, with XHCI 1.1, USB 3.1 is supported with speed of
> > upto 10Gbps. But freebsd xhci manpage says, it supports upto USB 3.0 with
> > speed upto 5Gbps. So, just wondering whether anything done in FreeBSD
> with
> > respect to XHCI 1.1 (or) any plans for the same?
> >
> > Anyway, Thanks for the quick turn-around.
>
> Hi,
>
> The FreeBSD XHCI driver does not use the speed information provided by
> the XHCI PCI descriptors currently nor any internal registers. Even if
> the device is 10Gbps capable it will be listed as 5Gbps. If you have an
> XHCI 1.1 device and the FreeBSD XHCI driver works, we might want to
> update the manual page.
>
> --HPS

Re: Is FreeBSD-current XHCI 1.1 compliant?

Rajesh Kumar
Hi Hans,

We have tried using a SSD disk with a USB 3.1 gen 2 to SATA bridge device
(XHCI 1.1).  The disk is detected and usable.  But seems it works in
"Bulk-Only" mode. Is there any plans to support USB attached SCSI?  I see a
tunable "hw.usb.xhci.streams" to enable USB streams.  But seems it does
nothing much.

On 8/28/18 6:41 PM, Rajesh Kumar wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> We have tried using a SSD disk with a USB 3.1 gen 2 to SATA bridge device
> (XHCI 1.1).  The disk is detected and usable.  But seems it works in
> "Bulk-Only" mode. Is there any plans to support USB attached SCSI?  I see a
> tunable "hw.usb.xhci.streams" to enable USB streams.  But seems it does
> nothing much.

Hi,

Streams mode is disabled by default (hw.usb.xhci.streams=0) and we have
no drivers using it :-(

--HPS

Re: Is FreeBSD-current XHCI 1.1 compliant?

Rajesh Kumar
Thanks Hans.

We tried to gather some storage performance benchmarking numbers. But we
are seeing poor benchmark number with USB 3.1 gen1/gen2  when compared with
SATA (For test, we connected a SATA SSD using direct SATA cable (or)
through a USB-SATA bridge).  So, just enabled streams mode
(hw.usb.xhci.streams=1) with no luck (expected, as you say no drivers are
currently using it). After a quick debug, seems
UE_GET_BULK_STREAMS(ecomp->bmAttributes) returns 0. So, Default mode (may
be BULK) is chosen instead of streams mode.

So, does using streams mode helps in improving the storage performance with
USB? If so, what is needed to use streams mode effectively?  Do we need to
consider anything else when taking USB performance numbers in FreeBSD?

On 8/30/18 3:55 PM, Rajesh Kumar wrote:
> So, does using streams mode helps in improving the storage performance with
> USB? If so, what is needed to use streams mode effectively?  Do we need to
> consider anything else when taking USB performance numbers in FreeBSD?

Hi,

Streams mode might help with latency, that you can queue more transfers
at the same time. Also streams mode used to be controversial, that not
all hardware manufacturers supported it.

USB is no replacement for a PCI hardware device or a SATA controller.

The block size effectively decides the performance of your device. The
USB XHCI controller has a configurable IRQ limit of 16000 IRQ/s. At this
rate you can queue at most 4000-8000 SCSI jobs per second towards the
USB SCSI implementation. If you use small block size, performance drops.
If you use bigger block size, performance increase.

In /usr/src/tools you'll find a small utility that benchmark USB storage
devices, called usbtest. Beware it can brick your USB disk.

--HPS