JDK 11 update

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

JDK 11 update

Greg Lewis-2
Hi all,

I wanted to briefly post an update on what's going on with JDK 11.

I'm pleased to say that thanks to the efforts of Kurt Miller there is now
a preliminary port for JDK 11 that supports FreeBSD.  I expect there will
be a port in the FreeBSD ports system within the next week.

If you want to try it sooner, I've placed a tarball of a binary version
that I compiled on FreeBSD 11.2/amd64 at

http://distcache.FreeBSD.org/local-distfiles/glewis/openjdk11-11.0.2.9.1-amd64.tar.xz

This is based on the initial "Alphonse" release at

https://github.com/battleblow/openjdk-jdk11u/releases/tag/jdk-11.0.2%2B9-1

You can view the main repo at

https://github.com/battleblow/openjdk-jdk11u

You will find that a number of things don't work and you'll also likely
find many bugs.  The port is currently at the point where it is self
hosting though, which is a reasonable first release milestone.

This is planned to be the main port repository and should make it easier
for people to contribute.  Just send a github pull request if you have
patches to contribute.

Note that I'll be AFK for the weekend (starting shortly) and won't be able
to respond until Monday.

For those who want to try and compile it, the current commands I'm using
look like this:

env CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include \
    LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib \
    CC=/usr/bin/cc \
    CXX=/usr/bin/c++ \
    bash configure \
        --with-boot-jdk=/usr/local/openjdk11 \
        --disable-ccache \
        --disable-dtrace \
        --disable-javac-server \
        --disable-hotspot-gtest \
        --with-alsa=/usr/local \
        --with-cups=/usr/local \
        --with-freetype=system \
        --with-freetype-include=/usr/local/include/freetype2 \
        --with-freetype-lib=/usr/local/lib \
        --with-milestone=fcs \
        --with-giflib=system \
        --with-zlib=system \
        --with-extra-cflags=-I/usr/local/include \
        --with-extra-cxxflags=-I/usr/local/include \
        --with-extra-ldflags=-L/usr/local/lib \
        --with-toolchain-type=clang \
        --x-includes=/usr/local/include \
        --x-libraries=/usr/local/lib \
        --with-package-path=/usr/local \
        --with-debug-level=release \
        --with-jobs=1

env LANG="C" \
    LC_ALL="C" \
    CLASSPATH="" \
    JAVA_HOME="" \
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH="" \
    CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include \
    LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib \
    CC=/usr/bin/cc \
    CXX=/usr/bin/c++ \
    MAKEFLAGS="" \
    USE_CLANG=true \
    gmake \
    CC=/usr/bin/cc \
    CXX=/usr/bin/c++ \
    COMPILER_WARNINGS_FATAL="false" \
    LOG=debug \
    images

Where I've got the binary tarball installed in /usr/local/openjdk11.  You
should adapt these as necessary for your system.  Note that I'll be
providing little support for anyone attempting to use those commands since
my focus will be on creating the port itself rather than supporting one off
builds.  They should work if you have the right dependencies and you're
running FreeBSD 11.2/amd64.  It's likely only minimal fixes would be
required for FreeBSD 12/amd64 as well, assuming the binary runs, although
no one has tested it there yet.

If you are on i386/powerpc64/arm, which are supported by openjdk8, then
you'll need to work a lot harder to get yourself bootstrapped since there
is no binary.  See https://github.com/battleblow/openjdk-jdk11u/pull/1 for
some hints on how to bootstrap without a working JDK 11.  There will also
likely be errors you need to fix since it has not been compiled on these
platforms yet.

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : [hidden email]
Eyes Beyond                         Web     : http://www.eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : [hidden email]
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JDK 11 update

Greg Lewis-2
A minor follow up.  If you do try to compile the main repository, you
need to check out the bsd-port branch.

On Fri, Mar 08, 2019 at 10:04:02AM -0800, Greg Lewis wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I wanted to briefly post an update on what's going on with JDK 11.
>
> I'm pleased to say that thanks to the efforts of Kurt Miller there is now
> a preliminary port for JDK 11 that supports FreeBSD.  I expect there will
> be a port in the FreeBSD ports system within the next week.
>
> If you want to try it sooner, I've placed a tarball of a binary version
> that I compiled on FreeBSD 11.2/amd64 at
>
> http://distcache.FreeBSD.org/local-distfiles/glewis/openjdk11-11.0.2.9.1-amd64.tar.xz
>
> This is based on the initial "Alphonse" release at
>
> https://github.com/battleblow/openjdk-jdk11u/releases/tag/jdk-11.0.2%2B9-1
>
> You can view the main repo at
>
> https://github.com/battleblow/openjdk-jdk11u
>
> You will find that a number of things don't work and you'll also likely
> find many bugs.  The port is currently at the point where it is self
> hosting though, which is a reasonable first release milestone.
>
> This is planned to be the main port repository and should make it easier
> for people to contribute.  Just send a github pull request if you have
> patches to contribute.
>
> Note that I'll be AFK for the weekend (starting shortly) and won't be able
> to respond until Monday.
>
> For those who want to try and compile it, the current commands I'm using
> look like this:
>
> env CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include \
>     LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib \
>     CC=/usr/bin/cc \
>     CXX=/usr/bin/c++ \
>     bash configure \
>         --with-boot-jdk=/usr/local/openjdk11 \
>         --disable-ccache \
>         --disable-dtrace \
>         --disable-javac-server \
>         --disable-hotspot-gtest \
>         --with-alsa=/usr/local \
>         --with-cups=/usr/local \
>         --with-freetype=system \
>         --with-freetype-include=/usr/local/include/freetype2 \
>         --with-freetype-lib=/usr/local/lib \
>         --with-milestone=fcs \
>         --with-giflib=system \
>         --with-zlib=system \
>         --with-extra-cflags=-I/usr/local/include \
>         --with-extra-cxxflags=-I/usr/local/include \
>         --with-extra-ldflags=-L/usr/local/lib \
>         --with-toolchain-type=clang \
>         --x-includes=/usr/local/include \
>         --x-libraries=/usr/local/lib \
>         --with-package-path=/usr/local \
>         --with-debug-level=release \
>         --with-jobs=1
>
> env LANG="C" \
>     LC_ALL="C" \
>     CLASSPATH="" \
>     JAVA_HOME="" \
>     LD_LIBRARY_PATH="" \
>     CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include \
>     LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib \
>     CC=/usr/bin/cc \
>     CXX=/usr/bin/c++ \
>     MAKEFLAGS="" \
>     USE_CLANG=true \
>     gmake \
>     CC=/usr/bin/cc \
>     CXX=/usr/bin/c++ \
>     COMPILER_WARNINGS_FATAL="false" \
>     LOG=debug \
>     images
>
> Where I've got the binary tarball installed in /usr/local/openjdk11.  You
> should adapt these as necessary for your system.  Note that I'll be
> providing little support for anyone attempting to use those commands since
> my focus will be on creating the port itself rather than supporting one off
> builds.  They should work if you have the right dependencies and you're
> running FreeBSD 11.2/amd64.  It's likely only minimal fixes would be
> required for FreeBSD 12/amd64 as well, assuming the binary runs, although
> no one has tested it there yet.
>
> If you are on i386/powerpc64/arm, which are supported by openjdk8, then
> you'll need to work a lot harder to get yourself bootstrapped since there
> is no binary.  See https://github.com/battleblow/openjdk-jdk11u/pull/1 for
> some hints on how to bootstrap without a working JDK 11.  There will also
> likely be errors you need to fix since it has not been compiled on these
> platforms yet.
>
> --
> Greg Lewis                          Email   : [hidden email]
> Eyes Beyond                         Web     : http://www.eyesbeyond.com
> Information Technology              FreeBSD : [hidden email]
> _______________________________________________
> [hidden email] mailing list
> https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
> To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : [hidden email]
Eyes Beyond                         Web     : http://www.eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : [hidden email]
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JDK 11 update

freebsd-java mailing list
In reply to this post by Greg Lewis-2
# uname -a
FreeBSD freebsd 12.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE r341666 GENERIC  amd64
# java -version
openjdk version "11.0.2-internal" 2019-01-15
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build
11.0.2-internal+0-adhoc.glewis.openjdk-jdk11u)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build
11.0.2-internal+0-adhoc.glewis.openjdk-jdk11u, mixed mode)
#

Awesome

thanks so much !



--
Sent from: http://freebsd.1045724.x6.nabble.com/freebsd-java-f4188125.html
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JDK 11 update

freebsd-java mailing list
In reply to this post by Greg Lewis-2
built fine under 12.0 --with-the-unmodified-glewis-superlong-command-sausage
:-)

----- Build times -------
Start 2019-03-09 01:05:56
End   2019-03-09 01:53:45

00:47:49 TOTAL
-------------------------
if test -f
/root/openjdk-jdk11u-jdk-11.0.2-9-1/build/bsd-x86_64-normal-server-release/make-support/exit-with-error
; then \
    exit 1 ; \
  fi
/usr/bin/printf "Finished building target 'images' in configuration
'bsd-x86_64-normal-server-release'\n" > >(/usr/bin/tee -a
/root/openjdk-jdk11u-jdk-11.0.2-9-1/build/bsd-x86_64-normal-server-release/build.log)
2> >(/usr/bin/tee -a
/root/openjdk-jdk11u-jdk-11.0.2-9-1/build/bsd-x86_64-normal-server-release/build.log
>&2) && wait
Finished building target 'images' in configuration
'bsd-x86_64-normal-server-release'
gmake[1]: Leaving directory '/root/openjdk-jdk11u-jdk-11.0.2-9-1'

root@freebsd:~/openjdk-jdk11u-jdk-11.0.2-9-1 # uname -a
FreeBSD freebsd 12.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE r341666 GENERIC  amd64

root@freebsd:~/openjdk-jdk11u-jdk-11.0.2-9-1 #
'/root/openjdk-jdk11u-jdk-11.0.2-9-1/build/bsd-x86_64-normal-server-release/images/jdk/bin/java'
-version
openjdk version "11.0.2-internal" 2019-01-15
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build
11.0.2-internal+0-adhoc.root.openjdk-jdk11u-jdk-11.0.2-9-1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build
11.0.2-internal+0-adhoc.root.openjdk-jdk11u-jdk-11.0.2-9-1, mixed mode)





--
Sent from: http://freebsd.1045724.x6.nabble.com/freebsd-java-f4188125.html
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JDK 11 update

Michael Osipov
In reply to this post by Greg Lewis-2
Am 2019-03-08 um 19:04 schrieb Greg Lewis:
> Hi all,
>
> I wanted to briefly post an update on what's going on with JDK 11.
>
> I'm pleased to say that thanks to the efforts of Kurt Miller there is now
> a preliminary port for JDK 11 that supports FreeBSD.  I expect there will
> be a port in the FreeBSD ports system within the next week.

Thanks for this huge effort!

> For those who want to try and compile it, the current commands I'm using
> look like this:
>
> env CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include \
>      LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib \
>      CC=/usr/bin/cc \
>      CXX=/usr/bin/c++ \
>      bash configure \
>          --with-boot-jdk=/usr/local/openjdk11 \

Ouch, isn't this a chicken-and-egg problem here? How did you solve this
prolbem? I really hate that Java is not selfcontained...

>          --disable-ccache \
>          --disable-dtrace \
>          --disable-javac-server \
>          --disable-hotspot-gtest \
>          --with-alsa=/usr/local \
>          --with-cups=/usr/local \
>          --with-freetype=system \
>          --with-freetype-include=/usr/local/include/freetype2 \
>          --with-freetype-lib=/usr/local/lib \
>          --with-milestone=fcs \
>          --with-giflib=system \
>          --with-zlib=system \
>          --with-extra-cflags=-I/usr/local/include \
>          --with-extra-cxxflags=-I/usr/local/include \
>          --with-extra-ldflags=-L/usr/local/lib \
>          --with-toolchain-type=clang \
>          --x-includes=/usr/local/include \
>          --x-libraries=/usr/local/lib \
>          --with-package-path=/usr/local \
>          --with-debug-level=release \
>          --with-jobs=1
>
> env LANG="C" \
>      LC_ALL="C" \
>      CLASSPATH="" \
>      JAVA_HOME="" \
>      LD_LIBRARY_PATH="" \
>      CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include \
>      LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib \
>      CC=/usr/bin/cc \
>      CXX=/usr/bin/c++ \
>      MAKEFLAGS="" \
>      USE_CLANG=true \
>      gmake \
>      CC=/usr/bin/cc \
>      CXX=/usr/bin/c++ \
>      COMPILER_WARNINGS_FATAL="false" \
>      LOG=debug \
>      images
>
> If you are on i386/powerpc64/arm, which are supported by openjdk8, then
> you'll need to work a lot harder to get yourself bootstrapped since there
> is no binary.  See https://github.com/battleblow/openjdk-jdk11u/pull/1 for
> some hints on how to bootstrap without a working JDK 11.  There will also
> likely be errors you need to fix since it has not been compiled on these
> platforms yet.
>

Does this basically mean that won't be a i386 release of OpenJDK 11 for
FreeBSD? What is the actual obstacle here?

Regards,

Michael
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JDK 11 update

freebsd-java mailing list
<<<   Michael wrote :
--with-boot-jdk=/usr/local/openjdk11 \

Ouch, isn't this a chicken-and-egg problem here? How did you solve this
prolbem? I really hate that Java is not selfcontained...>>>

Hi Michael,

no, not a problem , that's just the bootstrap jdk which Greg Lewis provided
to us as :
http://distcache.FreeBSD.org/local-distfiles/glewis/openjdk11-11.0.2.9.1-amd64.tar.xz 

you can install it to /usr/local/openjdk11 or wherever you want and change
the flag to that point or like I did :

I just installed it, set JAVA_HOME and the PATH to /bin in sh-shell-  so
even not necessary to set this flag, the build will automatically detect
bootstrap -java -version=11. GLewis will provide that as the bootstrap jdk
in his finished port.
As I wrote I made a successful build with the tools provided by GLewis+
KMiller.
You can begin now with that "tools" ,everything complete,  GLewis`s
compiler-flags are all good, don`t worry bout that ;-)

<<<   Michael wrote :
Does this basically mean that won't be a i386 release of OpenJDK 11 for
FreeBSD? What is the actual obstacle here?
>>>

No, that basically means that you have to bootstrap the Tux-jdk via NFS  if
you’re on i386, as described by K. Miller .

Best Regards

Klaus



--
Sent from: http://freebsd.1045724.x6.nabble.com/freebsd-java-f4188125.html
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JDK 11 update

Greg Lewis-2
In reply to this post by Michael Osipov
On Sat, Mar 09, 2019 at 09:15:42PM +0100, Michael Osipov wrote:

> Am 2019-03-08 um 19:04 schrieb Greg Lewis:
> > For those who want to try and compile it, the current commands I'm using
> > look like this:
> >
> > env CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include \
> >      LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib \
> >      CC=/usr/bin/cc \
> >      CXX=/usr/bin/c++ \
> >      bash configure \
> >          --with-boot-jdk=/usr/local/openjdk11 \
>
> Ouch, isn't this a chicken-and-egg problem here? How did you solve this
> prolbem? I really hate that Java is not selfcontained...

See the link to the pull request I posted later in the email:

https://github.com/battleblow/openjdk-jdk11u/pull/1

> > If you are on i386/powerpc64/arm, which are supported by openjdk8, then
> > you'll need to work a lot harder to get yourself bootstrapped since there
> > is no binary.  See https://github.com/battleblow/openjdk-jdk11u/pull/1 for
> > some hints on how to bootstrap without a working JDK 11.  There will also
> > likely be errors you need to fix since it has not been compiled on these
> > platforms yet.
> >
>
> Does this basically mean that won't be a i386 release of OpenJDK 11 for
> FreeBSD? What is the actual obstacle here?

The biggest known obstacle is that no one has performed the bootstrapping
procedure for OpenJDK 11 on FreeBSD/i386.

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : [hidden email]
Eyes Beyond                         Web     : http://www.eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : [hidden email]
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JDK 11 update

Lev Serebryakov
In reply to this post by Greg Lewis-2
On 08.03.2019 21:04, Greg Lewis wrote:

 Wow wow wow wow!

 Thank you for your great job!


--
// Lev Serebryakov


signature.asc (981 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JDK 11 update

Michael Osipov
In reply to this post by Greg Lewis-2
Am 2019-03-11 um 05:59 schrieb Greg Lewis:

> On Sat, Mar 09, 2019 at 09:15:42PM +0100, Michael Osipov wrote:
>> Am 2019-03-08 um 19:04 schrieb Greg Lewis:
>>> For those who want to try and compile it, the current commands I'm using
>>> look like this:
>>>
>>> env CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include \
>>>       LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib \
>>>       CC=/usr/bin/cc \
>>>       CXX=/usr/bin/c++ \
>>>       bash configure \
>>>           --with-boot-jdk=/usr/local/openjdk11 \
>>
>> Ouch, isn't this a chicken-and-egg problem here? How did you solve this
>> prolbem? I really hate that Java is not selfcontained...
>
> See the link to the pull request I posted later in the email:
>
> https://github.com/battleblow/openjdk-jdk11u/pull/1

As far as I understand Kurt's approach, here's using a precompiled
version on Ubuntu via SSH to produce portable Java bytecode? If so, that
looks pretty insane and brittle to me, doesn't it?

I have expected that we run BSD on BSD, no further deps.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Michael
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JDK 11 update

freebsd-java mailing list
Hi Michael,
the instructions for NFS-bootstrap are only for the 1st person who
compiles a binary for i386 to use it there as the bootsrap - jdk for the
final port .
It has nothing to do with the final port which you will see as a user.
You're ready to go with x64 for now  and :
do you really use i386? :-)
Unfortunately although I have many machines but no more i386 next to me at
the moment
to give you a bootsrap-binary for i386 ...
and you should not expect from Oracle that they go with  BSD-only ;-)
Regards
Klaus




--
Sent from: http://freebsd.1045724.x6.nabble.com/freebsd-java-f4188125.html
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JDK 11 update

Greg Lewis-2
In reply to this post by Michael Osipov
On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 11:53:12PM +0100, Michael Osipov wrote:

> Am 2019-03-11 um 05:59 schrieb Greg Lewis:
> > On Sat, Mar 09, 2019 at 09:15:42PM +0100, Michael Osipov wrote:
> >> Am 2019-03-08 um 19:04 schrieb Greg Lewis:
> >>> For those who want to try and compile it, the current commands I'm using
> >>> look like this:
> >>>
> >>> env CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include \
> >>>       LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib \
> >>>       CC=/usr/bin/cc \
> >>>       CXX=/usr/bin/c++ \
> >>>       bash configure \
> >>>           --with-boot-jdk=/usr/local/openjdk11 \
> >>
> >> Ouch, isn't this a chicken-and-egg problem here? How did you solve this
> >> prolbem? I really hate that Java is not selfcontained...
> >
> > See the link to the pull request I posted later in the email:
> >
> > https://github.com/battleblow/openjdk-jdk11u/pull/1
>
> As far as I understand Kurt's approach, here's using a precompiled
> version on Ubuntu via SSH to produce portable Java bytecode? If so, that
> looks pretty insane and brittle to me, doesn't it?
>
> I have expected that we run BSD on BSD, no further deps.
>
> Please correct me if I am wrong.

Someone has to bootstrap JDK 11 on FreeBSD/i386 for the first time.

The simplest way to do that is the technique Kurt and I used for amd64.
I used a slight variant where I had a Samba mount rather than NFS, but
any remote file system will do essentially.

Once one person has done it to the point where they have a self hosting
FreeBSD/i386 JDK 11, then that can be packaged into the soon to be
committed bootstrap-openjdk11 port.

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : [hidden email]
Eyes Beyond                         Web     : http://www.eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : [hidden email]
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JDK 11 update

Barry van Someren
In reply to this post by Greg Lewis-2
Just want to add a big thank you to Greg and Kurt (and others who also made
this happen)
Thank you!

I'm going to see if I can setup a few (serverside) tests to act as a smoke
test of sorts

On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 7:05 PM Greg Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I wanted to briefly post an update on what's going on with JDK 11.
>
> I'm pleased to say that thanks to the efforts of Kurt Miller there is now
> a preliminary port for JDK 11 that supports FreeBSD.  I expect there will
> be a port in the FreeBSD ports system within the next week.
>
> If you want to try it sooner, I've placed a tarball of a binary version
> that I compiled on FreeBSD 11.2/amd64 at
>
>
> http://distcache.FreeBSD.org/local-distfiles/glewis/openjdk11-11.0.2.9.1-amd64.tar.xz
>
> This is based on the initial "Alphonse" release at
>
> https://github.com/battleblow/openjdk-jdk11u/releases/tag/jdk-11.0.2%2B9-1
>
> You can view the main repo at
>
> https://github.com/battleblow/openjdk-jdk11u
>
> You will find that a number of things don't work and you'll also likely
> find many bugs.  The port is currently at the point where it is self
> hosting though, which is a reasonable first release milestone.
>
> This is planned to be the main port repository and should make it easier
> for people to contribute.  Just send a github pull request if you have
> patches to contribute.
>
> Note that I'll be AFK for the weekend (starting shortly) and won't be able
> to respond until Monday.
>
> For those who want to try and compile it, the current commands I'm using
> look like this:
>
> env CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include \
>     LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib \
>     CC=/usr/bin/cc \
>     CXX=/usr/bin/c++ \
>     bash configure \
>         --with-boot-jdk=/usr/local/openjdk11 \
>         --disable-ccache \
>         --disable-dtrace \
>         --disable-javac-server \
>         --disable-hotspot-gtest \
>         --with-alsa=/usr/local \
>         --with-cups=/usr/local \
>         --with-freetype=system \
>         --with-freetype-include=/usr/local/include/freetype2 \
>         --with-freetype-lib=/usr/local/lib \
>         --with-milestone=fcs \
>         --with-giflib=system \
>         --with-zlib=system \
>         --with-extra-cflags=-I/usr/local/include \
>         --with-extra-cxxflags=-I/usr/local/include \
>         --with-extra-ldflags=-L/usr/local/lib \
>         --with-toolchain-type=clang \
>         --x-includes=/usr/local/include \
>         --x-libraries=/usr/local/lib \
>         --with-package-path=/usr/local \
>         --with-debug-level=release \
>         --with-jobs=1
>
> env LANG="C" \
>     LC_ALL="C" \
>     CLASSPATH="" \
>     JAVA_HOME="" \
>     LD_LIBRARY_PATH="" \
>     CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include \
>     LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib \
>     CC=/usr/bin/cc \
>     CXX=/usr/bin/c++ \
>     MAKEFLAGS="" \
>     USE_CLANG=true \
>     gmake \
>     CC=/usr/bin/cc \
>     CXX=/usr/bin/c++ \
>     COMPILER_WARNINGS_FATAL="false" \
>     LOG=debug \
>     images
>
> Where I've got the binary tarball installed in /usr/local/openjdk11.  You
> should adapt these as necessary for your system.  Note that I'll be
> providing little support for anyone attempting to use those commands since
> my focus will be on creating the port itself rather than supporting one off
> builds.  They should work if you have the right dependencies and you're
> running FreeBSD 11.2/amd64.  It's likely only minimal fixes would be
> required for FreeBSD 12/amd64 as well, assuming the binary runs, although
> no one has tested it there yet.
>
> If you are on i386/powerpc64/arm, which are supported by openjdk8, then
> you'll need to work a lot harder to get yourself bootstrapped since there
> is no binary.  See https://github.com/battleblow/openjdk-jdk11u/pull/1 for
> some hints on how to bootstrap without a working JDK 11.  There will also
> likely be errors you need to fix since it has not been compiled on these
> platforms yet.
>
> --
> Greg Lewis                          Email   : [hidden email]
> Eyes Beyond                         Web     : http://www.eyesbeyond.com
> Information Technology              FreeBSD : [hidden email]
> _______________________________________________
> [hidden email] mailing list
> https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
> To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
>


--
KvK: 27317624
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JDK 11 update

freebsd-java mailing list
In reply to this post by Greg Lewis-2
On 2019-03-08T10:04:02 -0800
Greg Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I wanted to briefly post an update on what's going on with JDK 11.
>
> I'm pleased to say that thanks to the efforts of Kurt Miller there is now
> a preliminary port for JDK 11 that supports FreeBSD.  I expect there will
> be a port in the FreeBSD ports system within the next week.

This is great news. Thanks very much!

Is there any interest in getting AdoptOpenJDK [0] builds going?

I mentioned it to the AdoptOpenJDK people, and the response was that if
the FreeBSD project was willing to provide a couple of machines/VM
instances/whatever to do the builds, they could in principle get
FreeBSD builds going.

[0] https://adoptopenjdk.net/

--
Mark Raynsford | http://www.io7m.com


attachment0 (235 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JDK 11 update

Greg Lewis-2
On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 10:50:52AM +0000, Mark Raynsford wrote:

> On 2019-03-08T10:04:02 -0800
> Greg Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I wanted to briefly post an update on what's going on with JDK 11.
> >
> > I'm pleased to say that thanks to the efforts of Kurt Miller there is now
> > a preliminary port for JDK 11 that supports FreeBSD.  I expect there will
> > be a port in the FreeBSD ports system within the next week.
>
> This is great news. Thanks very much!
>
> Is there any interest in getting AdoptOpenJDK [0] builds going?
>
> I mentioned it to the AdoptOpenJDK people, and the response was that if
> the FreeBSD project was willing to provide a couple of machines/VM
> instances/whatever to do the builds, they could in principle get
> FreeBSD builds going.
>
> [0] https://adoptopenjdk.net/

Thanks for looking into this.

I'd suggest that to move forward someone would need to take lead on the
following:

* Talk to AdoptOpenJDK folk to get more details of what the need in terms
  of machines/VMs.  What sort of resources do their machines have
  (CPU/memory/disk)?  What sort of access does the CI/build infrastructure
  need?  Is this a case of supplying machines/VMs or would it make more
  sense to fund them in their existing build farm?
* Based on that come up with a rough costing and put it to the FreeBSD
  Foundation.  You might even want to talk to them earlier and see if
  it was something they were even interested in at all.  They have
  sponsored Java work in the past, but that doesn't mean it fits into
  their current priorities.

FWIW, changes to the existing openjdk8 and openjdk11 code bases don't
appear to be all that frequent.  So dedicated machines would likely just
sit idle most of the time.  Using EC2 on demand instances, assuming
we have a suitable FreeBSD AMI, and storing the releases on S3 would
make sense to me, and is likely fairly inexpensive.

My biggest question would be what value does this add versus the existing
FreeBSD package infrastructure?  That will also feature binary packages
for all supported FreeBSD versions and costs neither resources nor time
to set up other maintaining the FreeBSD port (which has to be done anyway).

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : [hidden email]
Eyes Beyond                         Web     : http://www.eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : [hidden email]
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JDK 11 update

freebsd-java mailing list
On 2019-03-14T14:46:48 -0700
Greg Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> * Talk to AdoptOpenJDK folk to get more details of what the need in terms
>   of machines/VMs.  What sort of resources do their machines have
>   (CPU/memory/disk)?  What sort of access does the CI/build infrastructure
>   need?  Is this a case of supplying machines/VMs or would it make more
>   sense to fund them in their existing build farm?

I've pointed them at this thread. Hopefully I'll get more information
soon.

> * Based on that come up with a rough costing and put it to the FreeBSD
>   Foundation.  You might even want to talk to them earlier and see if
>   it was something they were even interested in at all.  They have
>   sponsored Java work in the past, but that doesn't mean it fits into
>   their current priorities.
>
> FWIW, changes to the existing openjdk8 and openjdk11 code bases don't
> appear to be all that frequent.  So dedicated machines would likely just
> sit idle most of the time.  Using EC2 on demand instances, assuming
> we have a suitable FreeBSD AMI, and storing the releases on S3 would
> make sense to me, and is likely fairly inexpensive.
Right. I'd guess costs would be pretty minimal.

> My biggest question would be what value does this add versus the existing
> FreeBSD package infrastructure?  That will also feature binary packages
> for all supported FreeBSD versions and costs neither resources nor time
> to set up other maintaining the FreeBSD port (which has to be done anyway).

The main advantage for me personally is that I'd be able to fetch
runtime images supporting FreeBSD for use in jlink. My ultimate
intention is to put together a library/command-line tool/Maven plugin
that can automatically fetch JVM runtime images for a range of
architectures and operating systems and produce a jlinked application
image for every specified platform. "Build once, run on a selection of
platforms", sort of thing. The first part of this work is already done:

  https://blog.io7m.com/2018/11/18/choosing-coffee.xhtml
  https://github.com/io7m/coffeepick

As you can probably imagine... None of the supported providers supplies
FreeBSD JVM runtime images. I could, with some hacking, grab the
FreeBSD binary packages and then unpack and reorganize the contents...
But it'd be a lot nicer if FreeBSD was a platform that worked just like
all of the others supported by AdoptOpenJDK and friends.

More people building and running the test suite can't hurt.

--
Mark Raynsford | http://www.io7m.com


attachment0 (235 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JDK 11 update

Ed Maste-2
In reply to this post by Greg Lewis-2
On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 at 17:49, Greg Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Thanks for looking into [adoptopenjdk.net].
>
> I'd suggest that to move forward someone would need to take lead on the
> following:
>
> * Talk to AdoptOpenJDK folk to get more details of what the need in terms
>   of machines/VMs.  What sort of resources do their machines have
>   (CPU/memory/disk)?  What sort of access does the CI/build infrastructure
>   need?  Is this a case of supplying machines/VMs or would it make more
>   sense to fund them in their existing build farm?

I had a preliminary discussion with AdoptOpenJDK folks some time ago,
but nothing came of it as it was too early (without the port being
ready). I'll find out what resources are needed, and the FreeBSD
Foundation should be able to make machines or VM time available.

> My biggest question would be what value does this add versus the existing
> FreeBSD package infrastructure?  That will also feature binary packages
> for all supported FreeBSD versions and costs neither resources nor time
> to set up other maintaining the FreeBSD port (which has to be done anyway).

This woudn't replace OpenJDK in the ports tree / package collection
but augment it. The benefit I see from having FreeBSD in AdoptOpenJDK
is having FreeBSD "just work" the same way as other operating systems
for folks already familiar with that environment and with tooling
built on AdoptOpenJDK, and to improve discoverability.
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"