JDK1.5 and JBOSS 4.0.3 problem

Andreas Krebs
Hi List,

when trying to build a webapp that uses JBOSS 4.0.3 with the
selfcompiled JDK1.5 on FreeBSD I get the following error:

[javac]
/data/trunk/ng.sources/ng.kernel/com/ng/common/security/integration/jboss/NGLoginModule.java:118:
abstract method
initialize(javax.security.auth.Subject,javax.security.auth.callback.CallbackHandler,java.util.Map<java.lang.String,?>,java.util.Map<java.lang.String,?>)
in javax.security.auth.spi.LoginModule cannot be accessed directly
[javac]         super.initialize(subject, callbackHandler, sharedState,
options);

this seems to relate to a bug in the JDK
(http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6178365) which was
solved a while ago. The same build works fine on Linux with Java(TM) 2
Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_05-b05) and on
Windows, so the problem obviously is with the JDK.

My guess is that the JDK1.5 SCSL sources are missing this (and maybe
other) fixes, since there hasn't been any changes in the SCSL sources in
months. Unfortunately I can't find any information on what version the
SCSL sources are based.

Any feedback is highly appreciated, if I can't find a solution I have to
use Linux which I'd like to avoid.
Cheers,

Andreas Krebs
Chronolabs GmbH

Re: JDK1.5 and JBOSS 4.0.3 problem (additional info)

Andreas Krebs
Andreas Krebs wrote:

> this seems to relate to a bug in the JDK
> (http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6178365) which was
> solved a while ago. The same build works fine on Linux with Java(TM) 2
> Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_05-b05) and on
> Windows, so the problem obviously is with the JDK.

The above mentioned bug report contains example code which reproduces
the the problem I have. As I said, it was fixed in all official JDKs
from Sun,  but the SCSL doesn't contain the fix it seems.
Any ideas besides using an official SDK (on a supported platform) ?
Cheers,

Andreas Krebs
Chronolabs GmbH

Re: JDK1.5 and JBOSS 4.0.3 problem

Greg Lewis-2
On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 05:03:55PM +0100, Andreas Krebs wrote:

> when trying to build a webapp that uses JBOSS 4.0.3 with the
> selfcompiled JDK1.5 on FreeBSD I get the following error:
>
> [javac]
> /data/trunk/ng.sources/ng.kernel/com/ng/common/security/integration/jboss/NGLoginModule.java:118:
> abstract method
> initialize(javax.security.auth.Subject,javax.security.auth.callback.CallbackHandler,java.util.Map<java.lang.String,?>,java.util.Map<java.lang.String,?>)
> in javax.security.auth.spi.LoginModule cannot be accessed directly
> [javac]         super.initialize(subject, callbackHandler, sharedState,
> options);
>

> this seems to relate to a bug in the JDK
> (http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6178365) which was
> solved a while ago. The same build works fine on Linux with Java(TM) 2
> Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_05-b05) and on
> Windows, so the problem obviously is with the JDK.
>
> My guess is that the JDK1.5 SCSL sources are missing this (and maybe
> other) fixes, since there hasn't been any changes in the SCSL sources in
> months. Unfortunately I can't find any information on what version the
> SCSL sources are based.

Sun releases the SCSL source around the time it does the initial FCS
release.  So essentially the SCSL code is 1.5.0 and is missing all of
the fixes in _01 -> _05 unless we've hit them ourselves independently.

> Any feedback is highly appreciated, if I can't find a solution I have to
> use Linux which I'd like to avoid.

If you can find the fix for the bug then we can incorporate it into the
native port.  Another alternative (maybe) is to use the linux-sun-jdk15
port with JBoss (I'm not sure how well this works).

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : [hidden email]
Eyes Beyond                         Web     : http://www.eyesbeyond.com

Greg Lewis wrote:

>Sun releases the SCSL source around the time it does the initial FCS
>release.  So essentially the SCSL code is 1.5.0 and is missing all of
>the fixes in _01 -> _05 unless we've hit them ourselves independently.
>

>>Any feedback is highly appreciated, if I can't find a solution I have to
>>use Linux which I'd like to avoid.
>>

>If you can find the fix for the bug then we can incorporate it into the
>native port.  Another alternative (maybe) is to use the linux-sun-jdk15
>port with JBoss (I'm not sure how well this works).

Unfortunately, the linux-sdk doesn't work at all, the vm just dies (and
dumps a core).
I'll try to find some more information on this bug and hopefully on the
fix and get back to you if I have some more information. Thanks for your
information.

Greg Lewis wrote:
> Sun releases the SCSL source around the time it does the initial FCS
> release.  So essentially the SCSL code is 1.5.0 and is missing all of
> the fixes in _01 -> _05 unless we've hit them ourselves independently.
Hi Greg,

I'm still looking for a solution to the bug and found that Sun changed
the licensing of the JDK beginning with update 3 and introduced the Java
Research License (JRL) to simplify the existing SCSL.
(https://tiger.dev.java.net/)
You're able to download the latest sources under this license including
all the bugfixes since the FCS release under the SCSL.
 From what I understand, I can download the sources and this should help
me solving my problem. The question is now, could I make a patch against
the original SCSL version to be included in the BSD patches? From the
license FAQ, this should be possible.
Or could the updated sources even be used directly for the native BSD
release?
I hope you can give me some information on this since I couldn't find
much on that issue.
While I'm sure it helps me fix my problem, it would be nice to solve
problems like that "at the root" and also help others.

Cheers,

Andreas Krebs
Chronolabs GmbH