JDK15 installation problem

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

JDK15 installation problem

android-2
Hello everybody!

Trying to install jdk-1.5 on FreeBSD-6 Stable (amd64) I've faced with a  
problem - installation of linux-sun-jdk-1.4.2.10 failed with messages like  
this:

...
> Attempting to fetch from  
> ftp://ftp.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/updates/8.0/en/os/amd64/.
grep: /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-8/distinfo.amd64: No such file or  
directory
fetch:  
ftp://ftp.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/updates/8.0/en/os/amd64/glibc-common-2.3.2-4.80.8.amd64.rpm:  
File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
=> Attempting to fetch from  
ftp://ftp.riken.go.jp/pub/Linux/redhat/linux/updates/8.0/en/os/amd64/.
grep: /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-8/distinfo.amd64: No such file or  
directory
fetch:  
ftp://ftp.riken.go.jp/pub/Linux/redhat/linux/updates/8.0/en/os/amd64/glibc-common-2.3.2-4.80.8.amd64.rpm:  
File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
=> Attempting to fetch from  
ftp://ftp.kddlabs.co.jp/pub/Linux/packages/RedHat/redhat/linux/updates/8.0/en/os/amd64/.
grep: /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-8/distinfo.amd64: No such file or  
directory
fetch:  
ftp://ftp.kddlabs.co.jp/pub/Linux/packages/RedHat/redhat/linux/updates/8.0/en/os/amd64/glibc-common-2.3.2-4.80.8.amd64.rpm:  
File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
=> Attempting to fetch from  
ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/rpm/i386/8.0/.
grep: /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-8/distinfo.amd64: No such file or  
directory
fetch:  
ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/rpm/i386/8.0/glibc-common-2.3.2-4.80.8.amd64.rpm:  
File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
=> Couldn't fetch it - please try to retrieve this
=> port manually into /usr/ports/distfiles/rpm/amd64/8.0 and try again.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-8.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/java/linux-sun-jdk14.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/java/jdk15.
** Command failed [exit code 1]: /usr/bin/script -qa  
/tmp/portinstall62262.0 make
** Fix the problem and try again.
** Listing the failed packages (*:skipped / !:failed)
         ! java/jdk15    (fetch error)
--->  Packages processed: 0 done, 0 ignored, 0 skipped and 1 failed



What is it - it's really fetch error or packet  
"glibc-common-2.3.2-4.80.8.amd64.rpm" doesn't exist, or I'm doing  
something wrong?

Thanks anyway :)

--
WBR Android Andrew [:]
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JDK15 installation problem

Achilleas Mantzios
O Android έγραψε στις Nov 9, 2005 :

> Hello everybody!
>
> Trying to install jdk-1.5 on FreeBSD-6 Stable (amd64) I've faced with a  
> problem - installation of linux-sun-jdk-1.4.2.10 failed with messages like  
> this:
>
> ...
> > Attempting to fetch from  
> > ftp://ftp.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/updates/8.0/en/os/amd64/.
> grep: /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-8/distinfo.amd64: No such file or  
> directory
> fetch:  
> ftp://ftp.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/updates/8.0/en/os/amd64/glibc-common-2.3.2-4.80.8.amd64.rpm:  
> File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
> => Attempting to fetch from  
> ftp://ftp.riken.go.jp/pub/Linux/redhat/linux/updates/8.0/en/os/amd64/.
> grep: /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-8/distinfo.amd64: No such file or  
> directory
> fetch:  
> ftp://ftp.riken.go.jp/pub/Linux/redhat/linux/updates/8.0/en/os/amd64/glibc-common-2.3.2-4.80.8.amd64.rpm:  
> File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
> => Attempting to fetch from  
> ftp://ftp.kddlabs.co.jp/pub/Linux/packages/RedHat/redhat/linux/updates/8.0/en/os/amd64/.
> grep: /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-8/distinfo.amd64: No such file or  
> directory
> fetch:  
> ftp://ftp.kddlabs.co.jp/pub/Linux/packages/RedHat/redhat/linux/updates/8.0/en/os/amd64/glibc-common-2.3.2-4.80.8.amd64.rpm:  
> File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
> => Attempting to fetch from  
> ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/rpm/i386/8.0/.
> grep: /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-8/distinfo.amd64: No such file or  
> directory
> fetch:  
> ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/rpm/i386/8.0/glibc-common-2.3.2-4.80.8.amd64.rpm:  
> File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
> => Couldn't fetch it - please try to retrieve this
> => port manually into /usr/ports/distfiles/rpm/amd64/8.0 and try again.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-8.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/java/linux-sun-jdk14.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/java/jdk15.
> ** Command failed [exit code 1]: /usr/bin/script -qa  
> /tmp/portinstall62262.0 make
> ** Fix the problem and try again.
> ** Listing the failed packages (*:skipped / !:failed)
>          ! java/jdk15    (fetch error)
> --->  Packages processed: 0 done, 0 ignored, 0 skipped and 1 failed
>
>
>
> What is it - it's really fetch error or packet  
> "glibc-common-2.3.2-4.80.8.amd64.rpm" doesn't exist, or I'm doing  
> something wrong?

Since you got a repeated
"grep: /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-8/distinfo.amd64: No such file or
directory",

why dont you try to cvsup ports-emulators first?

>
> Thanks anyway :)
>
>

--
-Achilleus

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JDK15 installation problem

android-2

I've cvsup'ed before installation. After getting an error I've cvsup'ed  
again with the same result. About a week ago I was trying to install jdk15  
on another machine (FreeBSD 6 ,amd64), but there was the same error. IMHO  
such problem does not related with ports version in this situation...

P.S. Maybe I should write to freebsd-emulation list...

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 17:25:11 +0200, Achilleus Mantzios  
<[hidden email]> wrote:

...skip...
>
> Since you got a repeated
> "grep: /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-8/distinfo.amd64: No such file or
> directory",
>
> why dont you try to cvsup ports-emulators first?
>


--
WBR Android Andrew [:]

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JDK15 installation problem SOLVED

android-2
Thanks a lot everybody for all ideas!

I've installed jdk15 on FreeBSD 6 Stable (amd64) this way:

First of all thanks Greg Lewis for this idea:
"Try installing linux_base-8 first rather than having it pulled in as a
dependency."

portinstall linux_base-8

Second idea was foun here:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports-bugs/2005-May/057720.html

I've patched Makefile as mentioned above.

After it I've just typed:
portinstall java/jdk15

--
WBR Android Andrew [:]

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JDK15 installation problem SOLVED

Greg Lewis-2
On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 11:24:12PM +0200, Android Andrew wrote:

> Thanks a lot everybody for all ideas!
>
> I've installed jdk15 on FreeBSD 6 Stable (amd64) this way:
>
> First of all thanks Greg Lewis for this idea:
> "Try installing linux_base-8 first rather than having it pulled in as a
> dependency."
>
> portinstall linux_base-8
>
> Second idea was foun here:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports-bugs/2005-May/057720.html
>
> I've patched Makefile as mentioned above.
>
> After it I've just typed:
> portinstall java/jdk15

So, I wonder what is causing ${ARCH} to be wrong when we try installing the
Linux emulation package?

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : [hidden email]
Eyes Beyond                         Web     : http://www.eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : [hidden email]
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JDK15 installation problem SOLVED

Michael VInce-2
Greg Lewis wrote:

>On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 11:24:12PM +0200, Android Andrew wrote:
>  
>
>>Thanks a lot everybody for all ideas!
>>
>>I've installed jdk15 on FreeBSD 6 Stable (amd64) this way:
>>
>>First of all thanks Greg Lewis for this idea:
>>"Try installing linux_base-8 first rather than having it pulled in as a
>>dependency."
>>
>>portinstall linux_base-8
>>
>>Second idea was foun here:
>>http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports-bugs/2005-May/057720.html
>>
>>I've patched Makefile as mentioned above.
>>
>>After it I've just typed:
>>portinstall java/jdk15
>>    
>>
>
>So, I wonder what is causing ${ARCH} to be wrong when we try installing the
>Linux emulation package?
>
>  
>
I gave up using the linux_base / RH base for emulation on AMD64 it often
fails somewhere.
I have found that I have had the best luck using sus-9.2
with 'OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=suse-9.2' in /etc/make.conf

Only down side is since upgrading to 6.0 release openoffice2 under linux
emu sometimes locks up my laptop, as far as Java goes though its been fine.

Mike




_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JDK15 installation problem SOLVED

android-2
Thank you, Mike!

I've tryed this variant. I removed jdk, linux_base, insert
  "OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=suse-9.3" in make.conf. Then

  portinstall java/jdk15

jdk15 has installed succefully.

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 08:48:43 +0200, Michael Vince <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I gave up using the linux_base / RH base for emulation on AMD64 it often  
> fails somewhere.
> I have found that I have had the best luck using sus-9.2
> with 'OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=suse-9.2' in /etc/make.conf
>
> Only down side is since upgrading to 6.0 release openoffice2 under linux  
> emu sometimes locks up my laptop, as far as Java goes though its been  
> fine.
>
> Mike

--
WBR Android Andrew [:]
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JDK15 installation problem SOLVED

Andreas Krebs
In reply to this post by android-2
>
> So, I wonder what is causing ${ARCH} to be wrong when we try installing the
> Linux emulation package?

The Makefile in linux_base-8 sets the ARCH back to i386, this setting is
probably used in all following installs (just guessing here)

.if (${ARCH} == "amd64")
LATEST_LINK:=           ${LATEST_LINK:C/linux/linux32/}
ARCH=                   i386
FALLBACK_ELF_MIB=       kern.elf32.fallback_brand
RPMFLAGS+=              --noscripts
.else

Andreas Krebs
Chronolabs GmbH
[hidden email]

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JDK15 installation problem SOLVED

Greg Lewis-2
On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 04:45:19PM +0100, Andreas Krebs wrote:

> >So, I wonder what is causing ${ARCH} to be wrong when we try installing the
> >Linux emulation package?
>
> The Makefile in linux_base-8 sets the ARCH back to i386, this setting is
> probably used in all following installs (just guessing here)
>
> .if (${ARCH} == "amd64")
> LATEST_LINK:=           ${LATEST_LINK:C/linux/linux32/}
> ARCH=                   i386
> FALLBACK_ELF_MIB=       kern.elf32.fallback_brand
> RPMFLAGS+=              --noscripts
> .else

Exactly.  So why is the install of linux_base-8 looking for an RPM with
amd64 as the architecture then?  That is exactly what the above section
of the Makefile is overriding.

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : [hidden email]
Eyes Beyond                         Web     : http://www.eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : [hidden email]
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JDK15 installation problem SOLVED

Andreas Krebs
Greg Lewis wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 04:45:19PM +0100, Andreas Krebs wrote:
>  
>>> So, I wonder what is causing ${ARCH} to be wrong when we try installing the
>>> Linux emulation package?
>>>      
>> The Makefile in linux_base-8 sets the ARCH back to i386, this setting is
>> probably used in all following installs (just guessing here)
>>
>> .if (${ARCH} == "amd64")
>> LATEST_LINK:=           ${LATEST_LINK:C/linux/linux32/}
>> ARCH=                   i386
>> FALLBACK_ELF_MIB=       kern.elf32.fallback_brand
>> RPMFLAGS+=              --noscripts
>> .else
>>    
>
> Exactly.  So why is the install of linux_base-8 looking for an RPM with
> amd64 as the architecture then?  That is exactly what the above section
> of the Makefile is overriding.
 From my understanding the linux emulation always uses i386 RPMs, since
there is no 64 bit support for the emulation yet. Why the RPMs have the
$ARCH in their name I don't know since it will always be i386. My guess
would be that it's designed for future use when 64bit Linux emulation
becomes available, but I'm only guessing here, but the port maintainer
should be able to shed some light on this.

Andreas Krebs
Chronolabs GmbH
[hidden email]

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JDK15 installation problem SOLVED

Greg Lewis-2
On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 05:31:21PM +0100, Andreas Krebs wrote:

> Greg Lewis wrote:
> >On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 04:45:19PM +0100, Andreas Krebs wrote:
> >  
> >>>So, I wonder what is causing ${ARCH} to be wrong when we try installing
> >>>the
> >>>Linux emulation package?
> >>>      
> >>The Makefile in linux_base-8 sets the ARCH back to i386, this setting is
> >>probably used in all following installs (just guessing here)
> >>
> >>.if (${ARCH} == "amd64")
> >>LATEST_LINK:=           ${LATEST_LINK:C/linux/linux32/}
> >>ARCH=                   i386
> >>FALLBACK_ELF_MIB=       kern.elf32.fallback_brand
> >>RPMFLAGS+=              --noscripts
> >>.else
> >>    
> >
> >Exactly.  So why is the install of linux_base-8 looking for an RPM with
> >amd64 as the architecture then?  That is exactly what the above section
> >of the Makefile is overriding.
> From my understanding the linux emulation always uses i386 RPMs, since
> there is no 64 bit support for the emulation yet. Why the RPMs have the
> $ARCH in their name I don't know since it will always be i386. My guess
> would be that it's designed for future use when 64bit Linux emulation
> becomes available, but I'm only guessing here, but the port maintainer
> should be able to shed some light on this.

Correct.  Only i386 Linux emulation is offered on the amd64 architecture
at this point.  The RPMs have ${ARCH} in their name to permit other
architectures to potentially be supported (e.g. linux_base supports
both i386 and alpha).

However, you're missing the point :).  Go and read the original post in
the thread:

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=40758+0+archive/2005/freebsd-java/20051113.freebsd-java

The question is why is the port trying to fetch

glibc-common-2.3.2-4.80.8.amd64.rpm  
                          ^^^^^

?

As you have mentioned, linux_base-8 deliberately sets ${ARCH} to i386
on amd64 and the RPM names all include ${ARCH}.  So, why, when pulled in
as a dependency during the JDK build, does it try and fetch an RPM with
amd64 as ${ARCH} when that should basically be impossible?

This isn't the first report like this either, there have been quite a
few and there is even a PR open regarding it.

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : [hidden email]
Eyes Beyond                         Web     : http://www.eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : [hidden email]
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-emulation
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: JDK15 installation problem SOLVED

Andreas Krebs
Greg Lewis wrote:

> However, you're missing the point :).  Go and read the original post in
> the thread:
>
> http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=40758+0+archive/2005/freebsd-java/20051113.freebsd-java
>
> The question is why is the port trying to fetch
>
> glibc-common-2.3.2-4.80.8.amd64.rpm  
>                           ^^^^^
>  
Oh, OK.  I should first read and understand the posts before answering I
guess, pointing to the obvious doesn't help much ;)
My excuse is that I was to distracted with my other problem (see other
post of mine).
Next time, I promise to pay more attention :)

Cheers,
Andreas Krebs
Chronolabs GmbH
[hidden email]

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"