Kernel clock for 6-STABLE runs at 1/2 speed in VMware 5.0

Kernel clock for 6-STABLE runs at 1/2 speed in VMware 5.0

Ed-28
I am having the same problem as this fellow:

http://taosecurity.blogspot.com/2005/11/problems-with-freebsd-6.html

In addition to trying the (rather many) solutions suggested in the link (in particular, setting kern.hz=100 does *not* fix this problem), I have tried enabling/disabling acpi, to no avail.

Again, FreeBSD's clock appears to be running at precisely *half* the rate of the host OS (WinXP Pro, in my case).

Re: Kernel clock for 6-STABLE runs at 1/2 speed in VMware 5.0 - WORKAROUND FOUND

Ed-28
After noticing the problem went away in Safe Mode, and then figuring out
what Safe Mode actually does*, I've worked around the problem by disabling
the APIC device, which, I gather, forces FreeBSD to use the old-fashioned
IRQ timers.  This fix will not work if you want to run an SMP kernel in
VMWare, I suppose, but I imagine there aren't too many people doing such a
thing.  Anyhoo:

In /boot/loader.conf , add:

hint.apic.0.disabled=1

* All currently available documentation for FreeBSD Safe Mode, for those who
are interested, is apparently located here:
       grep -A11 'bootsafekey @' /boot/beastie.4th