LUA boot loader coming very soon

Warner Losh
Greetings,

As you may know, the Lua (http://www.lua.org) boot loader has been in the
works for some time. It started out life as a GSoC in 2014 by Pedro Souza
mentored by Wojciech A. Koszek. Rui Paulo created a svn project branch to
try to integrate it. I rebased that effort into a github branch which Pedro
Arthur fixed up. Over the past year, I've been cleaning up the boot loader
for other reasons, and found the time was ripe to start integrating this
into the tree. However, those integration efforts have taken a while as my
day-job work on the boot loader took priority. In the mean time, Ed Maste
and the FreeBSD Foundation funded Zakary Nafziger to enhance the original
GSoC Lua scripts to bring it closer to parity with the evolution of the
FORTH menu system since the GSoC project started.

I'm pleased to announce that all these threads of development have
converged and I'll be pushing the FreeBSD Lua Loader later today. This
loader uses Lua as its scripting language instead of FORTH. While
co-existance is planned, the timeline for it is looking to be a few weeks
and I didn't want to delay pushing this into the tree for that.

To try the loader, you'll need to build WITHOUT_FORTH=yes and
WITH_LOADER_LUA=yes. Fortunately, you needn't do a full world to do this,
you can do it in src/stand and install the result (be sure to have the
options for both the build and the install). This will replace your current
/boot/loader that is scripted with FORTH to one that's scripted with Lua.
It will install the lua scripts in /boot/lua. The boot is scripted with
/boot/lua/loader.lua instead of /boot/loader.rc. You are strongly advised
to create a backup copy of /boot/loader before testing (eg cp /boot/loader
/boot/loader_forth), since you'll need to boot that from boot2 if something
goes wrong. I've tested it extensively, though, with userboot.so and it's
test program, so all the initial kinks of finding the lua scripts, etc have
been worked out.

While it's possible to build all the /boot/loader variants with Lua, I've
just tested a BIOS booting /boot/loader both with and without menus
enabled. I've not tested any of the other variants and the instructions for
testing some of them may be rather tedious (especially UEFI, if you want a
simple path to back out). Since there's not been full convergence testing,
you'll almost certainly find bumps in this system. Also, all the
build-system APIs are likely not yet final.

I put  MFC after a month on the commit. Due to the heroic (dare I say
almost crazy) work of Kyle Evans on merging all the revs from -current to
11, I'm planning a MFC to 11 after the co-existence issues are hammered
out. In 11, FORTH will be the default, and Lua will  be built by default,
but users will have to do something to use it. 12, both FORTH and Lua will
be built and installed, with Lua as default (barring unforeseen
complications). Once the co-existence stuff goes in, I imagine we'll make
the switch to Lua by default shortly after that. In 13, FORTH will be
removed unless there's a really really compelling case made to keep it.

So please give it a spin and give me any feedback, documentation updates
and/or bug fixes. I'm especially interested in reviews from people that
have embedded Lua in other projects or experts in Lua that can improve the
robustness of the menu code.

Warner

Re: LUA boot loader coming very soon

Kris Moore-2
On 02/12/2018 10:27, Warner Losh wrote:

> [...]
>
> I put  MFC after a month on the commit. Due to the heroic (dare I say
> almost crazy) work of Kyle Evans on merging all the revs from -current to
> 11, I'm planning a MFC to 11 after the co-existence issues are hammered
> out. In 11, FORTH will be the default, and Lua will  be built by default,
> but users will have to do something to use it. 12, both FORTH and Lua will
> be built and installed, with Lua as default (barring unforeseen
> complications). Once the co-existence stuff goes in, I imagine we'll make
> the switch to Lua by default shortly after that. In 13, FORTH will be
> removed unless there's a really really compelling case made to keep it.
>
> So please give it a spin and give me any feedback, documentation updates
> and/or bug fixes. I'm especially interested in reviews from people that
> have embedded Lua in other projects or experts in Lua that can improve the

Warner & Co,

Great job all! Been wanting this for years, very excited to see it start
landing :)

One question, if we switch to Lua loader in TrueOS, do you know if the
ZFS boot-environment menus have been implemented / tested yet?

--
Kris Moore
Vice President of Engineering

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 9:26 AM, Kris Moore <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > complications). Once the co-existence stuff goes in, I imagine we'll make
> > the switch to Lua by default shortly after that. In 13, FORTH will be
> > removed unless there's a really really compelling case made to keep it.
> >
> > So please give it a spin and give me any feedback, documentation updates
> > and/or bug fixes. I'm especially interested in reviews from people that
> > have embedded Lua in other projects or experts in Lua that can improve
> the
> > robustness of the menu code.
> >
> > Warner
> freebsd.org"
>
> Warner & Co,
>
> Great job all! Been wanting this for years, very excited to see it start
> landing :)
>
> One question, if we switch to Lua loader in TrueOS, do you know if the
> ZFS boot-environment menus have been implemented / tested yet?

I don't think that they have been implemented yet. I've certainly not
tested them.

On 02/12/2018 11:31, Warner Losh wrote:

> [...]
>     people that
>     > have embedded Lua in other projects or experts in Lua that can
>     improve the
>     > robustness of the menu code.
>     >
>     > Warner
>     mailing list
>     > https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-current
>     > To unsubscribe, send any mail to
>     "[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>"
>
>     Warner & Co,
>
>     Great job all! Been wanting this for years, very excited to see it
>     start
>     landing :)
>
>     One question, if we switch to Lua loader in TrueOS, do you know if the
>     ZFS boot-environment menus have been implemented / tested yet?
>

> I don't think that they have been implemented yet. I've certainly not

Ok, I'll have to mess about with it. I recall there was some library
which created to expose ZFS in limited functionality over to the FORTH
code. That's probably a good place to start and see if that still works
and Lua can probe the pool for BE information.

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 9:45 AM, Kris Moore <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> > have embedded Lua in other projects or experts in Lua that can improve
>> the
>> > robustness of the menu code.
>> >
>> > Warner
>> reebsd.org"
>>
>> Warner & Co,
>>
>> Great job all! Been wanting this for years, very excited to see it start
>> landing :)
>>
>> One question, if we switch to Lua loader in TrueOS, do you know if the
>> ZFS boot-environment menus have been implemented / tested yet?
>

> I don't think that they have been implemented yet. I've certainly not
> tested them.
>
> Warner
>
> Ok, I'll have to mess about with it. I recall there was some library which
> created to expose ZFS in limited functionality over to the FORTH code.
> That's probably a good place to start and see if that still works and Lua

OK. There's no such functionality in FORTH in the tree today. However, zfs
sets a number of env vars that loader.getenv() can get in lua.

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 9:51 AM, Warner Losh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 9:45 AM, Kris Moore <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 02/12/2018 11:31, Warner Losh wrote:

>>> the
>>> Souza
>>> Pedro
>>> loader
>>> this
>>> as my
>>> Maste
>>> original

>>> weeks

>>> this,
>>> current
>>> Lua.
>>> advised
>>> /boot/loader
>>> something
>>> it's
>>> have

>>> I've
>>> instructions for
>>> want a
>>> testing,

>>> default,
>>> will
>>> make

>>> updates
>>> the

>>> reebsd.org"
>>>
>>> Warner & Co,
>>>
>>> Great job all! Been wanting this for years, very excited to see it start
>>> landing :)
>>>
>>> One question, if we switch to Lua loader in TrueOS, do you know if the
>>> ZFS boot-environment menus have been implemented / tested yet?
>>

>> I don't think that they have been implemented yet. I've certainly not
>> tested them.
>>
>> Warner
>>
>> Ok, I'll have to mess about with it. I recall there was some library
>> which created to expose ZFS in limited functionality over to the FORTH
>> code. That's probably a good place to start and see if that still works and
>> Lua can probe the pool for BE information.
>>

> OK. There's no such functionality in FORTH in the tree today. However, zfs
> sets a number of env vars that loader.getenv() can get in lua.

There's also a 'reloadbe' boot loader command that's independent of
interpreter. Sadly, it's reimplemented three times identically, with a
single comment being the only difference. Now that's something that's ripe
for cleanup...

Warner

Re: LUA boot loader coming very soon

John Baldwin
On Monday, February 12, 2018 08:27:27 AM Warner Losh wrote:

> [...]
>
> I put  MFC after a month on the commit. Due to the heroic (dare I say
> almost crazy) work of Kyle Evans on merging all the revs from -current to
> 11, I'm planning a MFC to 11 after the co-existence issues are hammered
> out. In 11, FORTH will be the default, and Lua will  be built by default,
> but users will have to do something to use it. 12, both FORTH and Lua will
> be built and installed, with Lua as default (barring unforeseen
> complications). Once the co-existence stuff goes in, I imagine we'll make
> the switch to Lua by default shortly after that. In 13, FORTH will be
> removed unless there's a really really compelling case made to keep it.
>
> So please give it a spin and give me any feedback, documentation updates
> and/or bug fixes. I'm especially interested in reviews from people that
> have embedded Lua in other projects or experts in Lua that can improve the

Do you have some memory usage numbers for LUA vs forth for the different
BIOS loaders (text/data/bss sizes)?  For the EFI case we probably have lots
of room, but for the non-EFI case we are constrained to 0xa0000 - 0xa000
for the text/data/bss and stack (in some cases like PXE booting the top
can be lower than 0xa0000).  I'm not sure if we have any other platforms
with similar memory constraints.

--
John Baldwin

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 10:12 AM, John Baldwin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > complications). Once the co-existence stuff goes in, I imagine we'll make
> > the switch to Lua by default shortly after that. In 13, FORTH will be
> > removed unless there's a really really compelling case made to keep it.
> >
> > So please give it a spin and give me any feedback, documentation updates
> > and/or bug fixes. I'm especially interested in reviews from people that
> > have embedded Lua in other projects or experts in Lua that can improve
> the
> > robustness of the menu code.
>
> Do you have some memory usage numbers for LUA vs forth for the different
> BIOS loaders (text/data/bss sizes)?  For the EFI case we probably have lots
> of room, but for the non-EFI case we are constrained to 0xa0000 - 0xa000
> for the text/data/bss and stack (in some cases like PXE booting the top
> can be lower than 0xa0000).  I'm not sure if we have any other platforms

Lua is about 60-70k larger than FORTH for this application:

Forth based:
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  385024 Feb 12 14:14
/home/imp/roots/amd64/boot/loader
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  450560 Feb 12 14:14
/home/imp/roots/amd64/boot/zfsloader
Lua based:
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  450560 Feb 12 14:20
/home/imp/roots/amd64/boot/loader
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  520192 Feb 12 14:20
/home/imp/roots/amd64/boot/zfsloader

So with Lua:
%  size loader.bin
    text    data     bss      dec       hex   filename
  411840   22264   48304   482408   0x75c68   loader.bin
% size zfsloader.bin
    text    data     bss      dec       hex   filename
  478712   22968   52368   554048   0x87440   zfsloader.bin

so we're at 555k out of 640k before we look at heap usage. Of course, these
numbers are only going to get a lot worse as we pile-in new crypto
features... I know that the normal loader works, but I've not tried the
zfsloader.

We might be able to do some slimming of LUA. I've honestly not tried
super-hard to do that, but do presently omit a lot of the standard
libraries which saves some space.

On Monday, February 12, 2018 02:31:46 PM Warner Losh wrote:

> [...]
> /home/imp/roots/amd64/boot/loader
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  450560 Feb 12 14:14
> /home/imp/roots/amd64/boot/zfsloader
> Lua based:
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  450560 Feb 12 14:20
> /home/imp/roots/amd64/boot/loader
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  520192 Feb 12 14:20
> /home/imp/roots/amd64/boot/zfsloader
>
> So with Lua:
> %  size loader.bin
>     text    data     bss      dec       hex   filename
>   411840   22264   48304   482408   0x75c68   loader.bin
> % size zfsloader.bin
>     text    data     bss      dec       hex   filename
>   478712   22968   52368   554048   0x87440   zfsloader.bin
>
> so we're at 555k out of 640k before we look at heap usage. Of course, these
> numbers are only going to get a lot worse as we pile-in new crypto
> features... I know that the normal loader works, but I've not tried the

Woof, on stable/11 the forth ones are quite a bit smaller:

-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  315392 Dec 16 13:39 /boot/loader
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  356352 Dec 16 13:39 /boot/zfsloader

% size /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/loader/loader.bin
    text    data     bss      dec       hex   filename
  274913   22624   46560   344097   0x54021   /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/loader/loader.bin
% size /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/zfsloader/zfsloader.bin
    text    data     bss      dec       hex   filename
  313865   23184   50624   387673   0x5ea59   /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/zfsloader/zfsloader.bin

Note that it's not 640k, it's 0xa0000 (640k) - the start address of the
loader: 0xa000 (40k), so text/data/bss + stack has 600k of room.  The heap
isn't in low memory anymore, so we don't have to worry about that.  555k for
ZFS loader leaves around 45k for stack.  If the ZFS loader code is anything
like the kernel code then ZFS probably uses deeper stacks than UFS. :(

One of the larger uses of stack in the loader is probably gzipfs, so loading
a mfsroot.gz from the loader might be a good test.  Unfortunately, there isn't
a good way to really detect stack overflow other than silent corruption in
bss.  If we could create a 'volatile int canary' in the bss and force it to be
the last thing in the bss we could check the value of 'canary' in the loader's
main loop perhaps and complain if it is ever non-zero.

--
John Baldwin

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 2:53 PM, John Baldwin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> % size /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/loader/loader.bin
>     text    data     bss      dec       hex   filename
>   274913   22624   46560   344097   0x54021   /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/boot/
> i386/loader/loader.bin
> % size /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/zfsloader/zfsloader.bin
>     text    data     bss      dec       hex   filename
>   313865   23184   50624   387673   0x5ea59   /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/boot/
> i386/zfsloader/zfsloader.bin
>
> Note that it's not 640k, it's 0xa0000 (640k) - the start address of the
> loader: 0xa000 (40k), so text/data/bss + stack has 600k of room.  The heap
> isn't in low memory anymore, so we don't have to worry about that.  555k
> for
> ZFS loader leaves around 45k for stack.  If the ZFS loader code is anything
> like the kernel code then ZFS probably uses deeper stacks than UFS. :(

Yea. We support more FS types than in 11 now I think (at least more than in
10),
so we might want to look to trimming that. I don't think we need 3
different compressed
filesystem formats compiled in by default, for example...

> One of the larger uses of stack in the loader is probably gzipfs, so
> a mfsroot.gz from the loader might be a good test.  Unfortunately, there
> isn't
> a good way to really detect stack overflow other than silent corruption in
> bss.  If we could create a 'volatile int canary' in the bss and force it
> to be
> the last thing in the bss we could check the value of 'canary' in the
> loader's
> main loop perhaps and complain if it is ever non-zero.

That's not a terrible idea... Assuming that the corruption is such that
it's right at the end of bss, and not something a bit before it...

Warner

Re: LUA boot loader coming very soon

David Wolfskill
On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 08:27:27AM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
> So please give it a spin and give me any feedback, documentation updates
> and/or bug fixes. I'm especially interested in reviews from people that
> have embedded Lua in other projects or experts in Lua that can improve the
> robustness of the menu code.

I was able to build, install, and (start to -- not loader's fault)
boot my laptop; I have placed screenshots at
<http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/FreeBSD/head/loader/>.

Some notes:
* For loader_1_lua.jpg, I had (reflexively) already hit "v" to boot
  verbosely, so "Verbose    :On" does NOT reflect the default.  On the
  other hand, "ACPI       :off" DOES reflect the default, which is
  opposite from the Forth loader (ref. loader_1_4th.jpg); I suspect that
  this warrants changing.

* The lower left corner of the box seems to have an odd artifact for the
  Lua loader.  I haven't looked, but suspect it will be easy to fix.

Peace,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill [hidden email]
The circus around that memo helps confirm that Mr. Trump is unfit for office.

See http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/publickey.gpg for my public key.

Re: LUA boot loader coming very soon

David Wolfskill
Also, after reverting r329225, I was able to build & boot the build
machine with the Lua loader... but I didn't even see any way of
interacting with it on the serial console.  (I do get that opportunity
with the Forth loader.)

Peace,
david