Lenovo P51 and Intel Bluetooth 8265

yuripv
Hi,

I'm seeing the following problem on Lenovo P51 laptop with "Intel
Bluetooth 8265" (as identified by Linux):

ubt0: ubt_ctrl_write_callback:782: control transfer failed: USB_ERR_TIMEOUT
ng_hci_process_command_timeout: ubt0hci - unable to complete HCI command
OGF=0x3, OCF=0x3. Timeout

The device in question:

ugen0.7: <vendor 0x8087 product 0x0a2b> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST
spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON (100mA)

   bLength = 0x0012
   bDescriptorType = 0x0001
   bcdUSB = 0x0200
   bDeviceClass = 0x00e0  <Wireless controller>
   bDeviceSubClass = 0x0001
   bDeviceProtocol = 0x0001
   bMaxPacketSize0 = 0x0040
   idVendor = 0x8087
   idProduct = 0x0a2b
   bcdDevice = 0x0010
   iManufacturer = 0x0000  <no string>
   iProduct = 0x0000  <no string>
   iSerialNumber = 0x0000  <no string>
   bNumConfigurations = 0x0001

I noticed that if I boot into Windows, and then back in FreeBSD
*without* shutting down the laptop, errors seem to be gone (I haven't
tested that it actually work, and now the Windows partition is gone, sigh).

What am I missing here, firmware or something else?

Re: Lenovo P51 and Intel Bluetooth 8265

Takanori Watanabe-2
On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 10:40:47AM +0300, Yuri Pankov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm seeing the following problem on Lenovo P51 laptop with "Intel
> Bluetooth 8265" (as identified by Linux):
>
> ubt0: ubt_ctrl_write_callback:782: control transfer failed: USB_ERR_TIMEOUT
> ng_hci_process_command_timeout: ubt0hci - unable to complete HCI command
> OGF=0x3, OCF=0x3. Timeout
>
> The device in question:
>
> ugen0.7: <vendor 0x8087 product 0x0a2b> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST
> spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON (100mA)
>
>    bLength = 0x0012
>    bDescriptorType = 0x0001
>    bcdUSB = 0x0200
>    bDeviceClass = 0x00e0  <Wireless controller>
>    bDeviceSubClass = 0x0001
>    bDeviceProtocol = 0x0001
>    bMaxPacketSize0 = 0x0040
>    idVendor = 0x8087
>    idProduct = 0x0a2b
>    bcdDevice = 0x0010
>    iManufacturer = 0x0000  <no string>
>    iProduct = 0x0000  <no string>
>    iSerialNumber = 0x0000  <no string>
>    bNumConfigurations = 0x0001

I have never succeeded to use bluetooth on Intel WiFi.
I used external USB dongle.

> I noticed that if I boot into Windows, and then back in FreeBSD
> *without* shutting down the laptop, errors seem to be gone (I haven't
> tested that it actually work, and now the Windows partition is gone, sigh).

I tried boot windows and select reboot and select FreeBSD partition,
but I still receive HCI reset error.
How did you do that?

Takanori Watanabe wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 10:40:47AM +0300, Yuri Pankov wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm seeing the following problem on Lenovo P51 laptop with "Intel
>> Bluetooth 8265" (as identified by Linux):
>>
>> ubt0: ubt_ctrl_write_callback:782: control transfer failed: USB_ERR_TIMEOUT
>> ng_hci_process_command_timeout: ubt0hci - unable to complete HCI command
>> OGF=0x3, OCF=0x3. Timeout
>>
>> The device in question:
>>
>> ugen0.7: <vendor 0x8087 product 0x0a2b> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST
>> spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON (100mA)
>>
>>     bLength = 0x0012
>>     bDescriptorType = 0x0001
>>     bcdUSB = 0x0200
>>     bDeviceClass = 0x00e0  <Wireless controller>
>>     bDeviceSubClass = 0x0001
>>     bDeviceProtocol = 0x0001
>>     bMaxPacketSize0 = 0x0040
>>     idVendor = 0x8087
>>     idProduct = 0x0a2b
>>     bcdDevice = 0x0010
>>     iManufacturer = 0x0000  <no string>
>>     iProduct = 0x0000  <no string>
>>     iSerialNumber = 0x0000  <no string>
>>     bNumConfigurations = 0x0001
>
> I have never succeeded to use bluetooth on Intel WiFi.
> I used external USB dongle.

It's sad, I'll look into what linux drivers are doing then.

>> I noticed that if I boot into Windows, and then back in FreeBSD
>> *without* shutting down the laptop, errors seem to be gone (I haven't
>> tested that it actually work, and now the Windows partition is gone, sigh).
>
> I tried boot windows and select reboot and select FreeBSD partition,
> but I still receive HCI reset error.
> How did you do that?

TBH, this laptop had Windows 10 installed, and I used bluetooth to
connect keyboard/mouse, so all drivers were installed/used.  Then I
installed FreeBSD on top of it, all without shutdown, and I didn't get
errors while booting installer or installed system.  It's only when I
did finally poweroff it I started getting these errors on boot.

Re: Lenovo P51 and Intel Bluetooth 8265

Iain Hibbert-3
On Tue, 25 Sep 2018, Yuri Pankov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm seeing the following problem on Lenovo P51 laptop with "Intel Bluetooth
> 8265" (as identified by Linux):

I think this device needs some initialisation before it will appear as a
proper Bluetooth USB adaptor.

> What am I missing here, firmware or something else?

it does require some firmware, and maybe a way to load it.

iain