Lessons learned from source upgrade from FreeBSD i386 9.2 Stable to FreeBSD i386 10.0 Release.

Lessons learned from source upgrade from FreeBSD i386 9.2 Stable to FreeBSD i386 10.0 Release.

Robert_Burmeister
Lessons learned from source upgrade from FreeBSD i386 9.2 Stable to FreeBSD i386
10.0 Release.

A)
Clang is needed to compile FreeBSD 10 due to use of the updated libstdc++ in world.
My workaround was to upgrade FreeBSD 9.2 to Clang 3.3 in the base system
and remove GCC 4.2.1 from base 9.2.
This was accomplished by using /etc/src.conf flags
WITH_CLANG=yes
WITH_LIBCPLUSPLUS=yes
WITH_CLANG_EXTRAS=yes
WITH_CLANG_IS_CC=yes
WITHOUT_GCC=yes
and recompiling world and FreeBSD as per
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/makeworld.html

B)
FreeBSD 10's change to pkg(8) (a.k.a. PKGNG) affects the portupgrade tools as
well as the package tools.
Even if you are not using packages,
before upgrading to FreeBSD 10 install pkg(8) as described in:
http://www5.us.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/pkgng-intro.html
and be sure to run pkg2ng.

C)
FreeBSD 10 moves converters/libiconv into the base system, which directly or
indirectly affects many ports.
This migration has largely been taken care of for the official packages,
however, if you are rebuilding from the ports tree
"pkg_delete libiconv" must be run,
or converters/libiconv must be deinstalled,
before your post OS recompile of all your ports.

Most of the iconv hardcodes have been addressed in the ports tree, but this is
still being worked on.

I have suggested that this information be noted in the FreeBSD 10 release notes.

Re: Lessons learned from source upgrade from FreeBSD i386 9.2 Stable to FreeBSD i386 10.0 Release.

Dimitry Andric-4
On 23 Jan 2014, at 05:49, Robert Burmeister <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Lessons learned from source upgrade from FreeBSD i386 9.2 Stable to FreeBSD i386 10.0 Release.
>
> A)
> Clang is needed to compile FreeBSD 10 due to use of the updated libstdc++ in world.

Ehrm, no?  You should be able to run stock 9-stable, which has gcc as
the default compiler, and build 10.0 release without any trouble.

Can you please explain which problems you encountered with libstdc++?

-Dimitry

Re: Lessons learned from source upgrade from FreeBSD i386 9.2 Stable to FreeBSD i386 10.0 Release.

Robert_Burmeister
Lessons learned from source upgrade from FreeBSD i386 9.2 Stable to FreeBSD i386 10.0 Release.

A)
Clang does not need to to be installed first.

B)
FreeBSD 10's change to pkg(8) (a.k.a. PKGNG) affects the portupgrade tools as
well as the package tools.
Even if you are not using packages,
before upgrading to FreeBSD 10 install pkg(8) as described in:
http://www5.us.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/pkgng-intro.html
and be sure to run pkg2ng.

C)
FreeBSD 10 moves converters/libiconv into the base system, which directly or
indirectly affects many ports.
This migration has largely been taken care of for the official packages,
however, if you are rebuilding from the ports tree
"pkg_delete libiconv" must be run,
or converters/libiconv must be deinstalled,
before your post OS recompile of all your ports.

Most of the iconv hardcodes have been addressed in the ports tree, but this is
still being worked on.
D)
Many Gnome ports still had issues with continuing to link to "libiconv.so.3",
such as avahi-app and gdm.

People who deleted all ports, removed /usr/local and reinstalled
have reported that they do not have the problem.

Apparently, some Gnome components are finicky about how they are built.
A note from
https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Jhbuild/FreeBSD
Remove all .la files from the packages you just installed to prevent problems during the build.
You'll have to remember to do this again each time you install more packages.
I deleted the contents of /usr/local/lib and ran portupgrade -afu
which rebuilt most of the problematic ports.

Re: Lessons learned from source upgrade from FreeBSD i386 9.2 Stable to FreeBSD i386 10.0 Release.

Gleb Popov
On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 7:22 AM, Robert_Burmeister <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Lessons learned from source upgrade from FreeBSD i386 9.2 Stable to FreeBSD
> i386 10.0 Release.
>
> A)
> Clang does not need to to be installed first.
>

> > B)
> > FreeBSD 10's change to pkg(8) (a.k.a. PKGNG) affects the portupgrade
> tools
> > as
> > well as the package tools.
> > Even if you are not using packages,
> > before upgrading to FreeBSD 10 install pkg(8) as described in:
> > http://www5.us.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/pkgng-intro.html
> > and be sure to run pkg2ng.
> >
> > C)
> > FreeBSD 10 moves converters/libiconv into the base system, which directly
> > or
> > indirectly affects many ports.
> > This migration has largely been taken care of for the official packages,
> > however, if you are rebuilding from the ports tree
> > "pkg_delete libiconv" must be run,
> > or converters/libiconv must be deinstalled,
> > before your post OS recompile of all your ports.
> >
> > Most of the iconv hardcodes have been addressed in the ports tree, but
> > this is
> > still being worked on.
>
> D)
> Many Gnome ports still had issues with continuing to link to
> "libiconv.so.3",
> such as avahi-app and gdm.

It's because gnome stuff uses libtool machinery and all *.la files from
corresponding gnome libs had "libiconv.so.3" line inside. I've just grepped
through all .la files in /usr/local/lib, fed them to "pkg which" and
rebuilt needed ports.