Marvell Kirkwood - anyone?

12

Marvell Kirkwood - anyone?

Balanga Bar
Is anyone using any Marvell Kirkwood devices?

I'm trying to build a reliable system, but am struggling to make it work.
Could do with some help on the correct way of building it.

Re: Marvell Kirkwood - anyone?

Ian Lepore-3
On Wed, 2019-04-10 at 06:23 +0000, Balanga Bar wrote:
> Is anyone using any Marvell Kirkwood devices?
>
> I'm trying to build a reliable system, but am struggling to make it
> work.
> Could do with some help on the correct way of building it.

To be honest, the Kirkwood stuff is all but completely unsupported at
this point.  A few people over the past few years have reported some
success with it.  My own experience is that no armv4 or v5 platforms
have really worked reliably for many years.  When it does work for
people, they're just lucky that they're not running into any of the
bugs that are known to exist in the old arm support.

Basically the problem is resources: there is nobody both willing and
able to support the old armv5 stuff anymore.  The company I work for
used to put their resources into supporting old arm chips, but we've
moved on to armv7 stuff for the current products, so I don't get to
spend $work hours on armv5 support anymore.

So all in all, you're really better off with some newer armv7 or v8
(64-bit) hardware.  It's cheaper and more powerful, but you do miss out
on one thing that Kirkwood supported: dual GigE ports, which just don't
seem to exist in the modern arm world.

-- Ian

Re: Marvell Kirkwood - anyone?

Balanga Bar
All I'm really looking for is some update for a number of web pages
including https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSDMarvell
which show how to build FreeBSD for the platform. The build process seems
to have changed somewhat over the last few years and instructions do not
mention which version of FreeBSD is being used.

Since I already have a couple of GoFlex Home units I would like to try and
get FreeBSD installed on them. It seems that people managed to get FreeBSD
working on these as long ago as seven years ago, so I'm only trying to
recreate something that has already been done, but getting a working build
installed is proving somewhat problematic.

The most frustrating things is that when I manage to create a build which
will boot, there is generally a kernel panic soon after, and the system
will not subsequently boot and I don't know how to identify why this
occurred.

On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 4:12 PM Ian Lepore <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 2019-04-10 at 06:23 +0000, Balanga Bar wrote:
> > Is anyone using any Marvell Kirkwood devices?
> >
> > I'm trying to build a reliable system, but am struggling to make it
> > work.
> > Could do with some help on the correct way of building it.
> >

> To be honest, the Kirkwood stuff is all but completely unsupported at
> this point.  A few people over the past few years have reported some
> success with it.  My own experience is that no armv4 or v5 platforms
> have really worked reliably for many years.  When it does work for
> people, they're just lucky that they're not running into any of the
> bugs that are known to exist in the old arm support.
>
> Basically the problem is resources: there is nobody both willing and
> able to support the old armv5 stuff anymore.  The company I work for
> used to put their resources into supporting old arm chips, but we've
> moved on to armv7 stuff for the current products, so I don't get to
> spend $work hours on armv5 support anymore.
>
> So all in all, you're really better off with some newer armv7 or v8
> (64-bit) hardware.  It's cheaper and more powerful, but you do miss out
> on one thing that Kirkwood supported: dual GigE ports, which just don't
> seem to exist in the modern arm world.
>
> -- Ian

Re: Marvell Kirkwood - anyone?

Mori Hiroki
Hi

I tried like OpenRD-Base target. I use ZRouter build system.

I have two problems.

One is network is now work.

Second is cpu is very slow. I seem L2 cache issue.

Thanks

Hiroki Mori

> All I'm really looking for is some update for a number of web pages
> including https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSDMarvell
> which show how to build FreeBSD for the platform. The build process seems
> to have changed somewhat over the last few years and instructions do not
> mention which version of FreeBSD is being used.
>
> Since I already have a couple of GoFlex Home units I would like to try and
> get FreeBSD installed on them. It seems that people managed to get FreeBSD
> working on these as long ago as seven years ago, so I'm only trying to
> recreate something that has already been done, but getting a working build
> installed is proving somewhat problematic.
>
> The most frustrating things is that when I manage to create a build which
> will boot, there is generally a kernel panic soon after, and the system
> will not subsequently boot and I don't know how to identify why this
> occurred.
>
> On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 4:12 PM Ian Lepore <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>  On Wed, 2019-04-10 at 06:23 +0000, Balanga Bar wrote:
>>  > Is anyone using any Marvell Kirkwood devices?
>>  >
>>  > I'm trying to build a reliable system, but am struggling to make
> it
>>  > work.
>>  > Could do with some help on the correct way of building it.
>>  > _______________________________________________
>>  >
>>
>>  To be honest, the Kirkwood stuff is all but completely unsupported at
>>  this point.  A few people over the past few years have reported some
>>  success with it.  My own experience is that no armv4 or v5 platforms
>>  have really worked reliably for many years.  When it does work for
>>  people, they're just lucky that they're not running into any of the
>>  bugs that are known to exist in the old arm support.
>>
>>  Basically the problem is resources: there is nobody both willing and
>>  able to support the old armv5 stuff anymore.  The company I work for
>>  used to put their resources into supporting old arm chips, but we've
>>  moved on to armv7 stuff for the current products, so I don't get to
>>  spend $work hours on armv5 support anymore.
>>
>>  So all in all, you're really better off with some newer armv7 or v8
>>  (64-bit) hardware.  It's cheaper and more powerful, but you do miss out
>>  on one thing that Kirkwood supported: dual GigE ports, which just don't
>>  seem to exist in the modern arm world.
>>
>>  -- Ian

Re: Marvell Kirkwood - anyone?

Ian Lepore-3
You say "All I want is updated instructions to build".  Then you point
out you managed to get a build done, and what you really want is
support for a kernel panic.

I'll reiterate:  there is no support available anymore for these
systems.  The only reason the code still exists in freebsd is because
some users reported they were still having some limited success using
kirkwood-based systems (that was a year or two ago).  Your report of
mysterious panics is pretty much in line with what you'd expect for
code that is no longer being maintained.

It's a sad thing.  I still use dreamplug systems myself, I have to for
$work.  But we run freebsd 8.2 on them, because that's the last version
that I know was really stable.  Everything later than that I've tried
(even 8.4) fails in a variety of mysterious ways from panics to data
corruption to failure of fsck to preen disks after a crash.

-- Ian

On Mon, 2019-04-15 at 09:10 +0100, Balanga Bar wrote:

> All I'm really looking for is some update for a number of web pages
> including https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSDMarvell
> which show how to build FreeBSD for the platform. The build process
> seems
> to have changed somewhat over the last few years and instructions do
> not
> mention which version of FreeBSD is being used.
>
> Since I already have a couple of GoFlex Home units I would like to
> try and
> get FreeBSD installed on them. It seems that people managed to get
> FreeBSD
> working on these as long ago as seven years ago, so I'm only trying
> recreate something that has already been done, but getting a working
> build
> installed is proving somewhat problematic.
>
> The most frustrating things is that when I manage to create a build
> which
> will boot, there is generally a kernel panic soon after, and the
> system
> will not subsequently boot and I don't know how to identify why this
> occurred.
>
> On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 4:12 PM Ian Lepore <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2019-04-10 at 06:23 +0000, Balanga Bar wrote:
> > > Is anyone using any Marvell Kirkwood devices?
> > >
> > > I'm trying to build a reliable system, but am struggling to make
> > > it
> > > work.
> > > Could do with some help on the correct way of building it.
> > >

> > To be honest, the Kirkwood stuff is all but completely unsupported
> > at
> > this point.  A few people over the past few years have reported
> > some
> > success with it.  My own experience is that no armv4 or v5
> > platforms
> > have really worked reliably for many years.  When it does work for
> > people, they're just lucky that they're not running into any of the
> > bugs that are known to exist in the old arm support.
> >
> > Basically the problem is resources: there is nobody both willing
> > and
> > able to support the old armv5 stuff anymore.  The company I work
> > for
> > used to put their resources into supporting old arm chips, but
> > we've
> > moved on to armv7 stuff for the current products, so I don't get to
> > spend $work hours on armv5 support anymore.
> >
> > So all in all, you're really better off with some newer armv7 or v8
> > (64-bit) hardware.  It's cheaper and more powerful, but you do miss
> > out
> > on one thing that Kirkwood supported: dual GigE ports, which just
> > don't
> > seem to exist in the modern arm world.
> >
> > -- Ian

Re: Marvell Kirkwood - anyone?

Balanga Bar
To be honest, I would try installing 8.2 if I could find instructions for
building it...

Would I need to install 8,2 on my PC to build 8.2 for FreeBSD/ARM?

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 12:07 AM Ian Lepore <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > platforms
> > > have really worked reliably for many years.  When it does work for
> > > people, they're just lucky that they're not running into any of the
> > > bugs that are known to exist in the old arm support.
> > >
> > > Basically the problem is resources: there is nobody both willing
> > > and
> > > able to support the old armv5 stuff anymore.  The company I work
> > > for
> > > used to put their resources into supporting old arm chips, but
> > > we've
> > > moved on to armv7 stuff for the current products, so I don't get to
> > > spend $work hours on armv5 support anymore.
> > >
> > > So all in all, you're really better off with some newer armv7 or v8
> > > (64-bit) hardware.  It's cheaper and more powerful, but you do miss
> > > out
> > > on one thing that Kirkwood supported: dual GigE ports, which just

Re: Marvell Kirkwood - anyone?

Ian Lepore-3
On Wed, 2019-04-17 at 01:34 +0100, Balanga Bar wrote:
> To be honest, I would try installing 8.2 if I could find instructions
> for
> building it...
>
> Would I need to install 8,2 on my PC to build 8.2 for FreeBSD/ARM?

It was somewhere around freebsd 10.1 that I lost the ability to build
freebsd 8.x (which had already been EOL for years at that point).
Accumulated changes in the build system finally got to be too much.

Ever since then, I've used an amd64 jail running freebsd 8.4 as a build
environment for crossbuilding freebsd 8.2 for arm.  These days the jail
is hosted on a 12-stable system.  In jail.conf for that jail I have

    osrelease="8.4-STABLE";
    osreldate= 804507;

Note that running freebsd 8.2 on any public-facing machine on the
network may not be a good idea.  There have been very many critical
security fixes to the base OS since then.  At $work, we selectively
cherry-pick security changes into our local 8.2 repo, and also our
products tend to be used on private networks protected by firewalls.

-- Ian

Re: Marvell Kirkwood - anyone?

Balanga Bar
Do you have build instructions for building 8.2? It seems that the
instructions in, for example, https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSDMarvell  are
not easily reproduced....

What target should I use? I presume DOCKSTAR was not available at the
time...

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 3:23 PM Ian Lepore <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 2019-04-17 at 01:34 +0100, Balanga Bar wrote:
> > To be honest, I would try installing 8.2 if I could find instructions
> > for
> > building it...
> >
> > Would I need to install 8,2 on my PC to build 8.2 for FreeBSD/ARM?
> >

> It was somewhere around freebsd 10.1 that I lost the ability to build
> freebsd 8.x (which had already been EOL for years at that point).
> Accumulated changes in the build system finally got to be too much.
>
> Ever since then, I've used an amd64 jail running freebsd 8.4 as a build
> environment for crossbuilding freebsd 8.2 for arm.  These days the jail
> is hosted on a 12-stable system.  In jail.conf for that jail I have
>
>     osrelease="8.4-STABLE";
>     osreldate= 804507;
>
> Note that running freebsd 8.2 on any public-facing machine on the
> network may not be a good idea.  There have been very many critical
> security fixes to the base OS since then.  At $work, we selectively
> cherry-pick security changes into our local 8.2 repo, and also our
> products tend to be used on private networks protected by firewalls.
>
> -- Ian

Re: Marvell Kirkwood - anyone?

Ian Lepore-3
On Wed, 2019-04-17 at 22:13 +0100, Balanga Bar wrote:
> Do you have build instructions for building 8.2? It seems that the
> instructions in, for example, https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSDMarvell
>   are
> not easily reproduced....
>
> What target should I use? I presume DOCKSTAR was not available at the
> time...

I suspect in freebsd 8, SHEEVAPLUG is the closest config.  The custom
config I use for a dreamplug at $work as available at

https://people.freebsd.org/~ian/DREAMPLUG8

-- Ian

Re: Marvell Kirkwood - anyone?

Balanga Bar
If I manage to build FreeBSD 8, how would I install any pkgs on it?

I've managed to get 11.0 installed but haven't found a pkg repository which
I can use.

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 10:02 PM Ian Lepore <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 2019-04-17 at 22:13 +0100, Balanga Bar wrote:
> > Do you have build instructions for building 8.2? It seems that the
> > instructions in, for example, https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSDMarvell
> >   are
> > not easily reproduced....
> >
> > What target should I use? I presume DOCKSTAR was not available at the
> > time...
> >

> I suspect in freebsd 8, SHEEVAPLUG is the closest config.  The custom
> config I use for a dreamplug at $work as available at
>
> https://people.freebsd.org/~ian/DREAMPLUG8
>
> -- Ian

Re: Marvell Kirkwood - anyone?

Mark Linimon-2
On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 09:08:28AM +0100, Balanga Bar wrote:
> If I manage to build FreeBSD 8, how would I install any pkgs on it?

You will have to build them yourself.

You are likely to have to start with the following:

  https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/tags/RELEASE_8_EOL/

to get a last-known-working ports infrastructure, and then merge
specific fixes from the last 3 years of ports commits that you
find you need.

Fair warning: IMHO this will be a non-trivial exercise.

mcl

Re: Marvell Kirkwood - anyone?

Balanga Bar
Is it possible to get a version of portsnap from that point?

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 8:54 AM Mark Linimon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 09:08:28AM +0100, Balanga Bar wrote:
> > If I manage to build FreeBSD 8, how would I install any pkgs on it?
>
> You will have to build them yourself.
>
> You are likely to have to start with the following:
>
>   https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/tags/RELEASE_8_EOL/
>
> to get a last-known-working ports infrastructure, and then merge
> specific fixes from the last 3 years of ports commits that you
> find you need.
>
> Fair warning: IMHO this will be a non-trivial exercise.
>
> mcl

Re: Marvell Kirkwood - anyone?

Mark Linimon-2
On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 03:19:15PM +0100, Balanga Bar wrote:
> Is it possible to get a version of portsnap from that point?

I don't know enough to answer that question.  I think it would be fair
to assume "no".

IIUC you seem to be looking for an _easy_ way to get Kirkwood back up
and working.  I'm going to be honest and say there isn't one.

Here are the approaches I think you can take:

 - stay on 8.x; bring individual port updates to it from ports-head and
   build your own ports.  Difficulty: hard.

 - figure out what src changes after 8.x regressed Kirkwood; check
   out src 12-STABLE, build your own src, and use FreeBSD.org packages.
   Difficulty: expert.

 - stay on 8.x; attempt to bring a modern ports tree to it and build
   your own ports.  Difficulty: challenging.

The difficulty level of the first approach depends on which ports you
are going to try to use.  shells/bash?  Probably not too hard.  Anything
GUI-related?  Very hard.

None of these approaches are achievable within hours; they will take
days, or, in the case of the third approach, weeks.

fwiw, the second approach is the only one where your fixes could be
merged back into FreeBSD.  If I were personally determined to run
Kirkwoord, that's the approach I would take.  (I gave my GuruPlug
away some time ago.)

I'm sorry that I can't be more encouraging.

mcl

Re: Marvell Kirkwood - anyone?

Balanga Bar
Actually I have managed to build FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE on ARM and it has not
exhibited any problems on my GoFlexHome apart from being unable install
pkgs. That is the current focus at the moment.

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 5:57 PM Mark Linimon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 03:19:15PM +0100, Balanga Bar wrote:
> > Is it possible to get a version of portsnap from that point?
>
> I don't know enough to answer that question.  I think it would be fair
> to assume "no".
>
> IIUC you seem to be looking for an _easy_ way to get Kirkwood back up
> and working.  I'm going to be honest and say there isn't one.
>
> Here are the approaches I think you can take:
>
>  - stay on 8.x; bring individual port updates to it from ports-head and
>    build your own ports.  Difficulty: hard.
>
>  - figure out what src changes after 8.x regressed Kirkwood; check
>    out src 12-STABLE, build your own src, and use FreeBSD.org packages.
>    Difficulty: expert.
>
>  - stay on 8.x; attempt to bring a modern ports tree to it and build
>    your own ports.  Difficulty: challenging.
>
> The difficulty level of the first approach depends on which ports you
> are going to try to use.  shells/bash?  Probably not too hard.  Anything
> GUI-related?  Very hard.
>
> None of these approaches are achievable within hours; they will take
> days, or, in the case of the third approach, weeks.
>
> fwiw, the second approach is the only one where your fixes could be
> merged back into FreeBSD.  If I were personally determined to run
> Kirkwoord, that's the approach I would take.  (I gave my GuruPlug
> away some time ago.)
>
> I'm sorry that I can't be more encouraging.
>
> mcl

Re: Marvell Kirkwood - anyone?

Rodney W. Grimes-6
> On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 03:19:15PM +0100, Balanga Bar wrote:
> > Is it possible to get a version of portsnap from that point?
>
> I don't know enough to answer that question.  I think it would be fair
> to assume "no".

You would not want ot use portsnap I do believe,
but what you may want to start with is the ports.txz file
that should of shipped on the i386/amd64 disc1 .iso

That would of been the copy of the ports tree at the time
the system was released.  Your going to have probably significant
paints in finding tar balls that match, but it is not impossible.

The shorter your list of needed ports the better.

Your are then going to have to check for CVE's against
all that code and either fix or mitigate the issue, if
it is a non connected low access device CVE's may not
matter at all.

For OS sources I think I would either grab from svn the version
at releng/8.x that matches what you decided on, or a point
on stable/8 slightly after this.  My reasoning here is that you
would be able to pull in specific changes from later in the
life of stable/8 that you may need fairly easily, ie svn merge.

> IIUC you seem to be looking for an _easy_ way to get Kirkwood back up
> and working.  I'm going to be honest and say there isn't one.

I Concur.

> Here are the approaches I think you can take:
All very reasonable too.

--
Rod Grimes                                                 [hidden email]

Re: Marvell Kirkwood - anyone?

Balanga Bar
Many thanks. Is this what I should use?

ftp://ftp.fi.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/11.0-RELEASE/ports.txz

Not really sure how this differs from portsnap fetch, but it seems to be
what I'm looking for...

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 7:01 PM Rodney W. Grimes <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 03:19:15PM +0100, Balanga Bar wrote:
> > > Is it possible to get a version of portsnap from that point?
> >
> > I don't know enough to answer that question.  I think it would be fair
> > to assume "no".
>
> You would not want ot use portsnap I do believe,
> but what you may want to start with is the ports.txz file
> that should of shipped on the i386/amd64 disc1 .iso
>
> That would of been the copy of the ports tree at the time
> the system was released.  Your going to have probably significant
> paints in finding tar balls that match, but it is not impossible.
>
> The shorter your list of needed ports the better.
>
> Your are then going to have to check for CVE's against
> all that code and either fix or mitigate the issue, if
> it is a non connected low access device CVE's may not
> matter at all.
>
> For OS sources I think I would either grab from svn the version
> at releng/8.x that matches what you decided on, or a point
> on stable/8 slightly after this.  My reasoning here is that you
> would be able to pull in specific changes from later in the
> life of stable/8 that you may need fairly easily, ie svn merge.
>

> > IIUC you seem to be looking for an _easy_ way to get Kirkwood back up
> > and working.  I'm going to be honest and say there isn't one.
>
> I Concur.
>
> > Here are the approaches I think you can take:
> All very reasonable too.
>

> >  - stay on 8.x; bring individual port updates to it from ports-head and
> >    build your own ports.  Difficulty: hard.
> >
> >  - figure out what src changes after 8.x regressed Kirkwood; check
> >    out src 12-STABLE, build your own src, and use FreeBSD.org packages.
> >    Difficulty: expert.
> >
> >  - stay on 8.x; attempt to bring a modern ports tree to it and build
> >    your own ports.  Difficulty: challenging.
> >
> > The difficulty level of the first approach depends on which ports you
> > are going to try to use.  shells/bash?  Probably not too hard.  Anything
> > GUI-related?  Very hard.
> >
> > None of these approaches are achievable within hours; they will take
> > days, or, in the case of the third approach, weeks.
> >
> > fwiw, the second approach is the only one where your fixes could be
> > merged back into FreeBSD.  If I were personally determined to run
> > Kirkwoord, that's the approach I would take.  (I gave my GuruPlug
> > away some time ago.)
> >
> > I'm sorry that I can't be more encouraging.
> >
> > mcl
>
> --
> Rod Grimes

Re: Marvell Kirkwood - anyone?

Rodney W. Grimes-6
> Many thanks. Is this what I should use?
>
> ftp://ftp.fi.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/11.0-RELEASE/ports.txz

If your trying to get 11.0 release ports/packages working on that platform
that would be a good place to start.  Your going to run into some issues
with out of date tar balls, but since you got 11.0 running the amount of
this should be greatly reduced.

> Not really sure how this differs from portsnap fetch, but it seems to be
> what I'm looking for...

portsnap fetch well get you the latest ^head ports, and they may or may
not build on 11.0, I believe it does build on 11.2.  I am not a consumer
of portsnap fetch so take anything I say about it with very light value.

I was more trying to give you some starting points if you
did need to go down the 8.X path, given your light years
ahead of that by being able to run 11.0 much of what I
said is less importand and more of that mcl said applies.

Another aside of having 11.0 running is you can probably host
cross build on a AMD64 11.0 system and speed up your build
cycles.  I do not think that worked so well back in the 8.x era.

--
Rod Grimes                                                 [hidden email]

Re: Marvell Kirkwood - anyone?

Mark Linimon-2
On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 08:27:10PM +0100, Balanga Bar wrote:
> Many thanks. Is this what I should use?
>
> ftp://ftp.fi.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/11.0-RELEASE/ports.txz

That is the metadata equivalent of:

   https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/tags/RELEASE_11_0_0/

which is much later than the URL I gave you earlier.  (If you are able
to run with 11 instead of 8.3 you are _far_ better off.)

i.e. there are no packages in it, just the ports tree itself.

> Not really sure how this differs from portsnap fetch, but it seems to be
> what I'm looking for...

portsnap fetch points to a particular point in time (in general, "now").
It's not designed to be used to fetch historical points in time.

IMVHO you will quickly find that doing an SVN checkout of the above URL
is going to get you further along than just the ports.txz and then just
start patching.  Yes, there is a learning curve for SVN, but w/rt to the
work you want to do on both src and ports, it's the right tool for the job.

mcl

Re: Marvell Kirkwood - anyone?

Mark Linimon-2
On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 12:28:44PM -0700, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> portsnap fetch well get you the latest ^head ports, and they may or may
> not build on 11.0, I believe it does build on 11.2.

The guarantee from portmgr is that

  "the head ports tree will build on the earliest supported release on
   each branch"

e.g. right now:

  11.2R
  12.0R

Further reading:

  https://www.freebsd.org/security/security.html#sup
  https://www.freebsd.org/portmgr/policies_eol.html

In particular, the last line of the latter:

  "Older releases are not maintained; ports and packages may not be
   able to install or run. Users are strongly encouraged to upgrade
   to one of the supported releases mentioned above"

is the official ports tree guarantee.

mcl

Re: Marvell Kirkwood - anyone?

Ronald Klop
Dear Balanga,

I run 11.2 on my Sheevaplug (armv5 also).

uname -a
FreeBSD sheeva2.klop.ws 11.2-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE-p4 #4 r339336M: Sat Oct 13 23:31:51 CEST 2018     builder@rpi3:/data/src/obj-11.2/arm.arm/data/src/11.2/sys/SHEEVAPLUG  arm

It has a ports checkout using portsnap. And that works pretty well.
Just do:
portsnap auto
cd /usr/ports/shells/bash (or whatever port you wish to install)
make install
make clean

I think that is the most simple approach for you to go forward.

Regards,
Ronald.

PS: Sorry for top-posting, my current mail client does not help in this very well.

Van: Balanga Bar <[hidden email]>
Datum: dinsdag, 23 april 2019 20:08
Aan: Mark Linimon <[hidden email]>
CC: [hidden email], Ian Lepore <[hidden email]>
Onderwerp: Re: Marvell Kirkwood - anyone?

> Actually I have managed to build FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE on ARM and it has not
> exhibited any problems on my GoFlexHome apart from being unable install
> pkgs. That is the current focus at the moment.
>
> On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 5:57 PM Mark Linimon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 03:19:15PM +0100, Balanga Bar wrote:
> > > Is it possible to get a version of portsnap from that point?
> >
> > I don't know enough to answer that question.  I think it would be fair
> > to assume "no".
> >
> > IIUC you seem to be looking for an _easy_ way to get Kirkwood back up
> > and working.  I'm going to be honest and say there isn't one.
> >
> > Here are the approaches I think you can take:
> >
> >  - stay on 8.x; bring individual port updates to it from ports-head and
> >    build your own ports.  Difficulty: hard.
> >
> >  - figure out what src changes after 8.x regressed Kirkwood; check
> >    out src 12-STABLE, build your own src, and use FreeBSD.org packages.
> >    Difficulty: expert.
> >
> >  - stay on 8.x; attempt to bring a modern ports tree to it and build
> >    your own ports.  Difficulty: challenging.
> >
> > The difficulty level of the first approach depends on which ports you
> > are going to try to use.  shells/bash?  Probably not too hard.  Anything
> > GUI-related?  Very hard.
> >
> > None of these approaches are achievable within hours; they will take
> > days, or, in the case of the third approach, weeks.
> >
> > fwiw, the second approach is the only one where your fixes could be
> > merged back into FreeBSD.  If I were personally determined to run
> > Kirkwoord, that's the approach I would take.  (I gave my GuruPlug
> > away some time ago.)
> >
> > I'm sorry that I can't be more encouraging.
> >
> > mcl

12