Matching mps driver in 11.1-STABLE to LSI 2008 firmware

Matching mps driver in 11.1-STABLE to LSI 2008 firmware

Evan Rowley
Hello,

11.1-STABLE has many errors with my firmware v19 LSI 2008 IT-mode SAS HBA.
I believe there is a driver/firmware mis-match, but do not know the correct
version of the firmware to flash to.

I tried looking for an answer in the 11-stable driver source, but it wasn't
obvious: https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/tree/stable/11/sys/dev/mps

Anyone know how to determine this? :)

Re: Matching mps driver in 11.1-STABLE to LSI 2008 firmware

Peter G.
On 27/04/2018 06:58, Evan Rowley wrote:

> Hello,
>
> 11.1-STABLE has many errors with my firmware v19 LSI 2008 IT-mode SAS HBA.
> I believe there is a driver/firmware mis-match, but do not know the correct
> version of the firmware to flash to.
>
> I tried looking for an answer in the 11-stable driver source, but it wasn't
> obvious: https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/tree/stable/11/sys/dev/mps
>
> Anyone know how to determine this? :)

I run several LSI SAS2008 flashed into IT/HBA, which are reflashed Dell
Perc H310, with mps(4), on 11.1-*RELEASE* though. No problems so far.
The controllers actually work wonderfully. Has the driver changed in
STABLE in any way? What is the problem you're having?

Controller type                         : SAS2008
BIOS version                            : 0.00.00.00
Firmware version                        : 20.00.07.00
Channel description                     : 1 Serial Attached SCSI

mps0@pci0:1:0:0: [...]
vendor     = 'LSI Logic / Symbios Logic'
device     = 'SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon]'
class      = mass storage
subclass   = SAS
--
PG

On 27/04/2018 21:56, Evan Rowley wrote:

> Thank you for your email! Sorry, I was confused before and specified
> 11.1-STABLE when I actually meant 11.1-RELEASE.
>
> Most likley I will need to flash these to the firmware version you are
> using: 20.00.07.00
>
> Here are pictures of what I see using v19 firmware, which did work stable
> on older versions of FreeBSD's mps driver: http://imgur.com/gallery/Ka5naWd
>
> I wish there was a way to determine before testing which version firmware
> newer versions of FreeBSD mps driver require.

Please just post your whole dmesg, so e.g. we could see what controller
that is and how the system recognizes it.

--
PG

On 29/04/2018 18:00, Evan Rowley wrote:

> This is the mps line from dmesg:
>
> mps0: <Avago Technologies (LSI) SAS2008> port 0xb000-0xb0ff mem
> 0xdfd3c000-0xdfd3ffff,0xdfd40000-0xdfd7ffff irq 36 at device 0.0 on
> pci3
> mps0: Firmware: 19.00.00.00, Driver: 21.02.00.00-fbsd
> mps0: IOCCapabilities:
> 1285c<ScsiTaskFull,DiagTrace,SnapBuf,EEDP,TransRetry,EventReplay,HostDisc>
>
> One might assume that the driver version 21 requires firmware version
> 21, although LSI/Avago/Broadcom do not seem to have that version
> available. Patched versions of firmware 20 (20.00.07.00) are the
> highest offered as of today, as far as I can tell.
>
> I wonder how other FreeBSD users avoid this guesswork.

I honestly doubt this is the driver issue. I've got

mps0: <Avago Technologies (LSI) SAS2008> port 0x3000-0x30ff mem
0xa2b40000-0xa2b4ffff,0xa2b00000-0xa2b3ffff irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci1
mps0: Firmware: 20.00.07.00, Driver: 21.02.00.00-fbsd
mps0: IOCCapabilities:
1285c<ScsiTaskFull,DiagTrace,SnapBuf,EEDP,TransRetry,EventReplay,HostDisc>

so the same, minus the firmware version;

and before those controllers were flashed to 20.00.07 I've tested them
with the same drivers, and since I've got 7 of them (they can be bought
very cheaply post-leasing, like 30-35 EUR a pop for post-leasing Dell
Perc H310 which is a fine controller), they had different older versions
of their firmware. AFAIR the test controller was running version 16 or
so (IR) and worked fine.

Did you clean controller's BIOS when flashing new firmware? Is the SAS
address properly set? If you want to turn SAS2008 into an HBA proper, it
doesn't need its own bios at all, only firmware.

My guess would be your problem is related to controller's
misconfiguration. I run them without their bios, in strict IT/HBA mode
and let ZFS handle any mirroring/raid. This way they simply show up as
mpsN and drives as basic directly connected daN.

I would advice you to reflash the controller, i.e. start from zero. The
proper procedure would be to 1) write an empty SRB, 2) erase controller
flash, and then 3) clean flash the recent firmware in desired mode (IT
for HBA), and 4) set the SAS address. I can walk you through it but I'd
need to dig up my old notes on that. It would be very
similar to: https://fogelholk.io/reflash-lsi-megaraid-9240-8i-to-9211-8i/

Reflashing Dell H310 requires an extra step to flash older firmware
first (allowing the IR->IT change) and only then re-flash the most
recent version.

--
PG

Re: Matching mps driver in 11.1-STABLE to LSI 2008 firmware

Evan Rowley
Hi All,

I realized that for some time I had been messaging Peter directly (Sorry
about that!), and not the FreeBSD drivers mailing list.

I have come to the conclusion that this is not a firmware/driver mismatch
issue, rather it appears to be quirkiness with how FreeBSD 11.1 handles
these particular drives. This conclusion was reached after updating the LSI
SAS 2008 firmware on several machines to the latest version & still seeing
drive errors.

Interestingly, I can get these drives working fine under both Ubuntu 16.04
and SmartOS. Fromatting, creating a zpool, and doing ZFS scrubs all work
OK. The errors shown in the following Gist are what I see on every FreeBSD
machine I connect these to, even on machines which don't have an LSI SAS
2008 controller:  https://gist.github.com/equalunique/
b34cd7d88b98d750074b82540c576d37

Many of these errors show up for each SAS drive:
(da0:mps0:0:15:0): SCSI sense: ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:20,0 (Invalid command
operation code)
(da0:mps0:0:15:0): Error 22, Unretryable error
(da0:mps0:0:15:0): READ(10). CDB: 28 00 74 70 6d af 00 00 01 00
(da0:mps0:0:15:0): CAM status: SCSI Status Error
(da0:mps0:0:15:0): SCSI status: Check Condition
(da0:mps0:0:15:0): SCSI sense: ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:20,0 (Invalid command
operation code)
(da0:mps0:0:15:0): Error 22, Unretryable error

The drives are IBM branded Seagate ST1000NM0001 drives, matching FRU
numbers 49Y1903, 49Y1930, and 49Y1939.

Possibly related, here is another user reporting similar errors with
FreeBSD 9 and the same model of Seagate disk: https://groups.google.com/
forum/#!topic/mailing.freebsd.questions/HplQgV3oy88

--
 - EJR