Max disk size DL360 G9

D'Arcy Cain-3
We have a Proliant DL360 Gen9 server with 8 2.5" bays.  We have installed 4
x 2TB drives which we mirrored with RAID0.  We should have close to 4TB
after mirroring and overhead but we only have 1.7TB

I scoured the net but there seems to be conflicting information.  Some sites
say that we can use any size drives, some say the 2TB is the maximum and one
site says that 1TB is the maximum but only for 2.5" drives.  I don't
understand why the form factor should matter.

Does anyone have some true facts?

Thanks in advance.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <[hidden email]>         |  Democracy is three wolves
http://www.druid.net/darcy/                |  and a sheep voting on

Disclaimer: By sending an email to ANY of my addresses you
are agreeing that:

1.  I am by definition, "the intended recipient".
2.  All information in the email is mine to do with as I see
     fit and make such financial profit, political mileage, or
     good joke as it lends itself to. In particular, I may quote
     it where I please.
3.  I may take the contents as representing the views of
     your company if I so wish.
4.  This overrides any disclaimer or statement of
     confidentiality that may be included or implied in
     your message.

Re: Max disk size DL360 G9

Gót András
Hi,

Could you please post the hpacucli/hpssacli/ssacli output from "ctrl all
show config" ? I don't think it's tied to the form factor, especially
with P440 as there are larger SSD-s now. We use G8s with 2T SSD-s, or
1,2T SAS disks and the smallest RAID1+0 array is around 5-6T.

Regards,
Andras

On 2020-10-17 15:45, D'Arcy Cain wrote:

> We have a Proliant DL360 Gen9 server with 8 2.5" bays.  We have
> installed 4 x 2TB drives which we mirrored with RAID0.  We should have
> close to 4TB after mirroring and overhead but we only have 1.7TB
>
> I scoured the net but there seems to be conflicting information.  Some
> sites say that we can use any size drives, some say the 2TB is the
> maximum and one site says that 1TB is the maximum but only for 2.5"
> drives.  I don't understand why the form factor should matter.
>
> Does anyone have some true facts?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> D'Arcy J.M. Cain <[hidden email]>         |  Democracy is three wolves
> http://www.druid.net/darcy/                |  and a sheep voting on
> +1 416 788 2246     (DoD#0082)    (eNTP)   |  what's for dinner.
> IM: [hidden email], VoIP: sip:[hidden email]
>
> Disclaimer: By sending an email to ANY of my addresses you
> are agreeing that:
>
> 1.  I am by definition, "the intended recipient".
> 2.  All information in the email is mine to do with as I see
>     fit and make such financial profit, political mileage, or
>     good joke as it lends itself to. In particular, I may quote
>     it where I please.
> 3.  I may take the contents as representing the views of
>     your company if I so wish.
> 4.  This overrides any disclaimer or statement of
>     confidentiality that may be included or implied in
>     your message.

Re: Max disk size DL360 G9

D'Arcy Cain-3
On 10/17/20 11:53 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could you please post the hpacucli/hpssacli/ssacli output from "ctrl all
> show config" ? I don't think it's tied to the form factor, especially with
> P440 as there are larger SSD-s now. We use G8s with 2T SSD-s, or 1,2T SAS
> disks and the smallest RAID1+0 array is around 5-6T.

I don't seem to have a ctrl command.  Do I need to install a package?

On 2020-10-17 17:58, D'Arcy Cain wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> Could you please post the hpacucli/hpssacli/ssacli output from "ctrl
>> all show config" ? I don't think it's tied to the form factor,
>> especially with P440 as there are larger SSD-s now. We use G8s with 2T
>> SSD-s, or 1,2T SAS disks and the smallest RAID1+0 array is around
>> 5-6T.
>
> I don't seem to have a ctrl command.  Do I need to install a package?
>
> --

You need the CLI from HPE, howevere I don't know how are they with
FreeBSD currently. The utility runs under hpacucli, hpssacli or ssacli
regarding the era and version. Az command starting with ctrl is for the
ssacli CLI interface.

Re: Max disk size DL360 G9

Jakub Chromy
I'm now aware of (current) hpssacli for BSD :( Thats one of the reasond
why we had to switch to RHEL/CentOS.

--

    regards / s pozdravem

Jakub Chromy

CGI SERVERABTEILUNG
-------------------
CGI CZ s.r.o.
775 144 257
234 697 102
www.cgi.cz
[hidden email]

On 17.10.2020 18:07, [hidden email] wrote:

> On 2020-10-17 17:58, D'Arcy Cain wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Could you please post the hpacucli/hpssacli/ssacli output from "ctrl
>>> all show config" ? I don't think it's tied to the form factor,
>>> especially with P440 as there are larger SSD-s now. We use G8s with
>>> 2T SSD-s, or 1,2T SAS disks and the smallest RAID1+0 array is around
>>> 5-6T.
>>
>> I don't seem to have a ctrl command.  Do I need to install a package?
>>
>> --
>
> You need the CLI from HPE, howevere I don't know how are they with
> FreeBSD currently. The utility runs under hpacucli, hpssacli or ssacli
> regarding the era and version. Az command starting with ctrl is for
> the ssacli CLI interface.

Re: Max disk size DL360 G9

D'Arcy Cain-3
On 10/17/20 12:07 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> You need the CLI from HPE, howevere I don't know how are they with FreeBSD
> currently. The utility runs under hpacucli, hpssacli or ssacli regarding the
> era and version. Az command starting with ctrl is for the ssacli CLI interface.

It's difficult to get someone into the server farm, especially with
Covid-19.  Is there no way to get the information that you are looking for
from FreeBSD?  What are you trying to find out?  Maybe I can figure it out.
  I do have sysutils/sysinfo installed if that helps.

The controller is "HP Smart Array P440ar" if that helps.

On 2020-10-17 18:22, D'Arcy Cain wrote:

>> You need the CLI from HPE, howevere I don't know how are they with
>> FreeBSD currently. The utility runs under hpacucli, hpssacli or ssacli
>> regarding the era and version. Az command starting with ctrl is for
>> the ssacli CLI interface.
>
> It's difficult to get someone into the server farm, especially with
> Covid-19.  Is there no way to get the information that you are looking
> for from FreeBSD?  What are you trying to find out?  Maybe I can
> figure it out.  I do have sysutils/sysinfo installed if that helps.
>
> The controller is "HP Smart Array P440ar" if that helps.

The CLI is the ssacli (or hpacucli or hpssacli), which runs under the
OS, at least on Linux. That's the intented inline management for the
raid controller. If you have any brand server you should use the
corresponding management sw. Fortunately there is also ipmitools,
however for the RAID card you'll need the specific utility. If you have
access the ILO out-of-band management where you can check the raid/disk
status, but that only shows the actual configuration.

This is old site: https://people.freebsd.org/~jcagle/

Re: Max disk size DL360 G9

rene@reckschwardt.de
Hi,

you can use the https://people.freebsd.org/~jcagle/ with compat or you
can use the Linux Utils in Linux Emulator.

best regards ré