Merge vale-ctl into ifconfig(8)

Farhan Khan
Hi all,

I am interested in vale(4) and see the vale-ctl
in /usr/src/tools/tools/netmap/vale-ctl.c. Given that it affects interface
cards and creates a virtual switch, is it appropriate to merge vale-ctl's
behavior into ifconfig? From a cursory code review, vale-ctl opens
/dev/netapi whereas ifconfig uses a socket(2).

Thoughts?

--
Farhan Khan
PGP Fingerprint: B28D 2726 E2BC A97E 3854 5ABE 9A9F 00BC D525 16EE

Re: Merge vale-ctl into ifconfig(8)

Eugene Grosbein-10
17.04.2018 1:23, Farhan Khan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am interested in vale(4) and see the vale-ctl
> in /usr/src/tools/tools/netmap/vale-ctl.c. Given that it affects interface
> cards and creates a virtual switch, is it appropriate to merge vale-ctl's
> behavior into ifconfig? From a cursory code review, vale-ctl opens
> /dev/netapi whereas ifconfig uses a socket(2).
>
> Thoughts?

Please don't overweight our already bloated ifconfig.

Have you considered etherswitch(4) and etherswitchcfg(8)?