NVMe and Bhyve

12

Re: NVMe and Bhyve

Dave Cottlehuber-2
On Sun, 24 Feb 2019, at 21:43, Victor Sudakov wrote:

> The guest installer says that there are no disks to install to and no
> drivers, and suggests a driver to be loaded. It can be told to find the
> appropriate driver in my virtio-win-0.1.141.iso CD:
>
> http://admin.sibptus.ru/~vas/bhyve1.png
>
> but when it begins loading the viostor driver, the VM crashes with
> "bhyve exited with status 134"
>
> Therefore I ask again if someone has an actual success story of running
> a Windows guest on a virtio-blk device.

Hi Viktor

Looking through my notes I'm not using virtio-blk I think, but I had no issues with the specific driver version linked to below https://hackmd.io/s/rJvJuE-CW# albeit with win7
Hope that’s helpful.

Dave

Re: NVMe and Bhyve

Victor Sudakov-3
Dave Cottlehuber wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Feb 2019, at 21:43, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> > The guest installer says that there are no disks to install to and no
> > drivers, and suggests a driver to be loaded. It can be told to find the
> > appropriate driver in my virtio-win-0.1.141.iso CD:
> >
> > http://admin.sibptus.ru/~vas/bhyve1.png
> >
> > but when it begins loading the viostor driver, the VM crashes with
> > "bhyve exited with status 134"
> >
> > Therefore I ask again if someone has an actual success story of running
> > a Windows guest on a virtio-blk device.
>
> Hi Viktor
>
> Looking through my notes I'm not using virtio-blk I think, but I had
> no issues with the specific driver version linked to below
> https://hackmd.io/s/rJvJuE-CW# albeit with win7 Hope that’s helpful.
Not so much unfortunately. I've tried virtio-win-0.1.96.iso from your
article. Windows 2012R2 server crashes on it, and Windows10 drivers are
missing from it altogether.

I've been using virtio-win-0.1.141.iso, which seems younger than yours,
it contains Windows10 drivers, but it still crashes both Windows 2012R2
server and Windows10 guests.

There is virtio-win-0.1.164.iso available at
https://fedorapeople.org/groups/virt/virtio-win/direct-downloads/archive-virtio/virtio-win-0.1.164-1/
I'll try that and report.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/

Re: NVMe and Bhyve

Victor Sudakov-3
Victor Sudakov wrote:

> > > Therefore I ask again if someone has an actual success story of running
> > > a Windows guest on a virtio-blk device.
> >
> > Hi Viktor
> >
> > Looking through my notes I'm not using virtio-blk I think, but I had
> > no issues with the specific driver version linked to below
> > https://hackmd.io/s/rJvJuE-CW# albeit with win7 Hope that’s helpful.
>
> Not so much unfortunately. I've tried virtio-win-0.1.96.iso from your
> article. Windows 2012R2 server crashes on it, and Windows10 drivers are
> missing from it altogether.
>
> I've been using virtio-win-0.1.141.iso, which seems younger than yours,
> it contains Windows10 drivers, but it still crashes both Windows 2012R2
> server and Windows10 guests.
>
> There is virtio-win-0.1.164.iso available at
> https://fedorapeople.org/groups/virt/virtio-win/direct-downloads/archive-virtio/virtio-win-0.1.164-1/
> I'll try that and report.
virtio-win-0.1.164.iso still crashes the guest with Windows 2012R2 server inside.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/

Re: NVMe and Bhyve

Harry Schmalzbauer
Am 16.02.2019 um 05:11 schrieb Victor Sudakov:

> Stefan Bethke wrote:
>>> I was just worried that using ahci-hd instead of paravirtualized disks
>>> causes suboptimal performance of guests. Do you think there is a hope to get
>>> paravirtualized disks support for Windows guests in bhyve?
>> I was under the impression that the Windows VirtIO disk driver works
>> with the Bhyve virtio-blk device. You need to provide these drivers to
>> Windows somehow (for example, as a second CD image during
>> installation):
>> https://www.linux-kvm.org/page/WindowsGuestDrivers/Download_Drivers
> I use NetKVM (VirtIO network) driver from there all the time, because
> e1000 is bad.
>
> However, I've read a number of bhyve resources including
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/bhyve/Windows and I've never found a success
> story with paravirtualized Windows disk drivers.
>
> If anyone has been successful with viostor(?), please share your experience.

You'll need
https://github.com/freenas/os/commit/0e4d6e1826f8aa7041cbeeb4365c797eeec5c5f4
if I remember correctly.
I asked for commit, since I'm using this in production for a long time,
but once upon a time, there has been a linux-guest specific side effect.
Don't know much about it and haven't had a chance to reproduce it.
In my bhyve world, any guest runs fine with the higher BLOCKIF_IOV limit.

-harry
12