No Sound

Steven Friedrich-4
I have a new HP Slimline Desktop 290-p0014 which features an Intel i7-8700.
running
FreeBSD Chameleon.friedrich.org 11.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE #2: Thu Sep
13 12:15:36 EDT 2018     [hidden email]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/
CHAMELEON  amd64

with snd_hda devices:
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Realtek ALC671 (Rear Analog)> (play/rec)
pcm1: <Realtek ALC671 (Analog)> (play/rec)
pcm2: <Intel Kabylake (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play) default
No devices installed from userspace.
I tried cdcontrol -f dev/cd0 play 1.

I am using the handbook section 7.2.2, but I have no sound.
How can I troubleshoot this?

Re: No Sound

Steven Friedrich-4
On Friday, 14 September 2018 09:26:57 EDT Steven Friedrich wrote:

> I have a new HP Slimline Desktop 290-p0014 which features an Intel i7-8700.
> running
> FreeBSD Chameleon.friedrich.org 11.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE #2: Thu
> Sep 13 12:15:36 EDT 2018
> [hidden email]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ CHAMELEON  amd64
>
> with snd_hda devices:
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <Realtek ALC671 (Rear Analog)> (play/rec)
> pcm1: <Realtek ALC671 (Analog)> (play/rec)
> pcm2: <Intel Kabylake (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play) default
> No devices installed from userspace.
> I tried cdcontrol -f dev/cd0 play 1.
>
> I am using the handbook section 7.2.2, but I have no sound.
> How can I troubleshoot this?
lf /dev shows no pcm devices, or speaker, but does show mixer0, mixer1,
mixer2, and dsp0.0, dsp1.0, and dsp2.0, and pass0, pass1, and pass2.

Re: No Sound

freebsd-questions mailing list
> I have a new HP Slimline Desktop 290-p0014 which features an Intel i7-8700.
> running
> FreeBSD Chameleon.friedrich.org 11.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE #2: Thu Sep
> 13 12:15:36 EDT 2018 [hidden email]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/
> CHAMELEON amd64
>
> with snd_hda devices:
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <Realtek ALC671 (Rear Analog)> (play/rec)
> pcm1: <Realtek ALC671 (Analog)> (play/rec)
> pcm2: <Intel Kabylake (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play) default
> No devices installed from userspace.
> I tried cdcontrol -f dev/cd0 play 1.

 I assume you wrote "/dev/cd0" instead of "dev/cd0" and that a cd is indeed
inserted.
Are you trying to listen to it from speakers of from headphones? Many times,
headphones are badly configured by default and need a little work from users.
Do you hear sound with headphones detached?

Output of "mixer" command could help.

Lorenzo Salvadore.

Re: No Sound

Steven Friedrich-4
On Friday, 14 September 2018 10:08:38 EDT Steven Friedrich wrote:

> On Friday, 14 September 2018 09:26:57 EDT Steven Friedrich wrote:
> > I have a new HP Slimline Desktop 290-p0014 which features an Intel
> > i7-8700.
> > running
> > FreeBSD Chameleon.friedrich.org 11.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE #2: Thu
> > Sep 13 12:15:36 EDT 2018
> > [hidden email]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ CHAMELEON  amd64
> >
> > with snd_hda devices:
> > Installed devices:
> > pcm0: <Realtek ALC671 (Rear Analog)> (play/rec)
> > pcm1: <Realtek ALC671 (Analog)> (play/rec)
> > pcm2: <Intel Kabylake (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play) default
> > No devices installed from userspace.
> > I tried cdcontrol -f dev/cd0 play 1.
> >
> > I am using the handbook section 7.2.2, but I have no sound.
> > How can I troubleshoot this?
>
> lf /dev shows no pcm devices, or speaker, but does show mixer0, mixer1,
> mixer2, and dsp0.0, dsp1.0, and dsp2.0, and pass0, pass1, and pass2.
Also, no devices show up in KDE5 Phonon Audio and Video page of system
settings.

Re: No Sound

Steven Friedrich-4
On Friday, 14 September 2018 10:22:38 EDT Steven Friedrich wrote:

> On Friday, 14 September 2018 10:08:38 EDT Steven Friedrich wrote:
> > On Friday, 14 September 2018 09:26:57 EDT Steven Friedrich wrote:
> > > I have a new HP Slimline Desktop 290-p0014 which features an Intel
> > > i7-8700.
> > > running
> > > FreeBSD Chameleon.friedrich.org 11.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE #2:
> > > Thu
> > > Sep 13 12:15:36 EDT 2018
> > > [hidden email]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ CHAMELEON  amd64
> > >
> > > with snd_hda devices:
> > > Installed devices:
> > > pcm0: <Realtek ALC671 (Rear Analog)> (play/rec)
> > > pcm1: <Realtek ALC671 (Analog)> (play/rec)
> > > pcm2: <Intel Kabylake (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play) default
> > > No devices installed from userspace.
> > > I tried cdcontrol -f dev/cd0 play 1.
> > >
> > > I am using the handbook section 7.2.2, but I have no sound.
> > > How can I troubleshoot this?
> >
> > lf /dev shows no pcm devices, or speaker, but does show mixer0, mixer1,
> > mixer2, and dsp0.0, dsp1.0, and dsp2.0, and pass0, pass1, and pass2.
>
> Also, no devices show up in KDE5 Phonon Audio and Video page of system
> settings.

Mixer vol      is currently set to  85:85
Mixer pcm      is currently set to 100:100
Mixer mic      is currently set to  56:56
Mixer rec      is currently set to  35:35
Mixer igain    is currently set to  50:50
Mixer ogain    is currently set to 100:100
Recording source: mic

Re: No Sound

Steve O'Hara-Smith
On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 09:26:57 -0400
Steven Friedrich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a new HP Slimline Desktop 290-p0014 which features an Intel
> i7-8700. running
> FreeBSD Chameleon.friedrich.org 11.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE #2: Thu
> Sep 13 12:15:36 EDT 2018
> [hidden email]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ CHAMELEON  amd64
>
> with snd_hda devices:
> I tried cdcontrol -f dev/cd0 play 1.

        This bypasses the operating system altogether and assumes that
there is a connection between the CD player audio out and an input to the
sound 'card'. It is common for this to be absent and to rely on a software
player such as vlc or mplayer.

> I am using the handbook section 7.2.2, but I have no sound.
> How can I troubleshoot this?

        If the CD is connected internally then there may be a mixer setting
you can turn up to hear it, otherwise you will probably hear sound from the
headphone jack of the CD player (if there is one).

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <[hidden email]>

Re: No Sound

Steven Friedrich-4
On Friday, 14 September 2018 10:53:17 EDT Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 09:26:57 -0400
>
> Steven Friedrich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I have a new HP Slimline Desktop 290-p0014 which features an Intel
> > i7-8700. running
> > FreeBSD Chameleon.friedrich.org 11.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE #2: Thu
> > Sep 13 12:15:36 EDT 2018
> > [hidden email]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ CHAMELEON  amd64
> >
> > with snd_hda devices:
> > I tried cdcontrol -f dev/cd0 play 1.
>
> This bypasses the operating system altogether and assumes that
> there is a connection between the CD player audio out and an input to the
> sound 'card'. It is common for this to be absent and to rely on a software
> player such as vlc or mplayer.
>
> > I am using the handbook section 7.2.2, but I have no sound.
> > How can I troubleshoot this?
>
> If the CD is connected internally then there may be a mixer setting
> you can turn up to hear it, otherwise you will probably hear sound from the
> headphone jack of the CD player (if there is one).
It's a SATA DVD and there are no headphone jacks on modern internal DVD
drives.  So there's no audio cable connecting the drive to any sound card or
header on the motherboard.  So that means there's no ability to transfer
analog audio, just digital audio, I believe.

I also can't get output from mplayer.  I'll try VLC next.

Also, no devices should up under KDE5 system settings Phonon page.  Is it
possible I didn't check all the phonon boxes when I built KDE5 from ports?

Re: No Sound

freebsd-questions mailing list
> I also can't get output from mplayer. I'll try VLC next.

I think changing from mplayer to vlc will not give you different results.

Are you trying to use headphones or speakers?

If you are using headphones can you detach them and try with speakers?

Can you test your sound with a different test? If you try to listen to a cd, then
we can not determine if the problem is the cd or the soundcard, hence please
try to listen to a .mp3 file on your computer or to a video on the internet.
(A test with .mp3 files assumes that you installed whatever is needed to listen
to a .mp3 and a test involving  a video on the internet requires that you installed
a web browser capable of reproducing videos.)

Lorenzo Salvadore.

Re: No Sound

Polytropon
On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 09:26:57 -0400, Steven Friedrich wrote:

> I have a new HP Slimline Desktop 290-p0014 which features an Intel i7-8700.
> running
> FreeBSD Chameleon.friedrich.org 11.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE #2: Thu Sep
> 13 12:15:36 EDT 2018     [hidden email]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/
> CHAMELEON  amd64
>
> with snd_hda devices:
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <Realtek ALC671 (Rear Analog)> (play/rec)
> pcm1: <Realtek ALC671 (Analog)> (play/rec)
> pcm2: <Intel Kabylake (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play) default
> No devices installed from userspace.

> I tried cdcontrol -f dev/cd0 play 1.

Not sure if this still works... The cdcontrol utility
was used for decades with the acd driver (ATAPI), and
that supported the command to play audio CDs (usually
with output through the internally wired CD Audio
connector).

The command of course expects /dev/cd0 (full path name),
which should be the default anyway. You can check it:

        # cdcontrol eject

Does the drive open? If yes, you don't need to specify
the device. :-)

You can also set a device with $CDROM in your environment;
see "man cdcontrol" for details.

> I am using the handbook section 7.2.2, but I have no sound.
> How can I troubleshoot this?

FIrst check:

        # pcicontrol -lv | less

and see if the system detects your sound hardware as
you would expect. Next, check:

        # dmesg | grep "pcm"

as well as

        # cat /dev/sndstat

You should also verify that the corresponding mixer
devices appear in /dev (usually mixer0, maybe more).

From your above output, it seems that the device has
been recognized correctly, so now check for several
other things:

1. Is the mixer set correctly?

2. Is the device using the correct output unit (if there
   is more than one)?

3. Are you connecting your speakers / headphones /
   amplifier to the correct output?

Commands like

        # mixer -f /dev/mixer0

and

        # sysctl -a | grep "snd"

will tell you most things, the rest is done with eyes. ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany

Re: No Sound

Polytropon
On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 11:45:57 -0400, Steven Friedrich wrote:
> It's a SATA DVD and there are no headphone jacks on modern internal DVD
> drives.  So there's no audio cable connecting the drive to any sound card or
> header on the motherboard.  So that means there's no ability to transfer
> analog audio, just digital audio, I believe.

There are tools like cdparanoia that can "digitally play"
from the CD drive, and you can also use mplayer to play
CD audio the digital way.

> I also can't get output from mplayer.  I'll try VLC next.

If you don't have sound in mplayer, it likely won't happen
that you get sound from VLC (or any other media player for
that matter).

> Also, no devices should up under KDE5 system settings Phonon page.  Is it
> possible I didn't check all the phonon boxes when I built KDE5 from ports?

I think Phonon is a default component of the KDE installation.
But for now, don't bother with KDE. Always check the basics
first, using the system tools.

For example, using good old "mpg123 somefile.mp3" and then
experiment with the mixer command. It _might_ be possible
that you have to select a different output device using sysctl.

Example: I have a Lenovo R61i and a R500. On the R61i, I can
use the default unit (0), while I have to enable the setting
"hw.snd.default_unit=1" in /etc/sysctl.conf on the R500,
even though they seem to be using almost the same HDA codec:

R61i:
        pcm0: <Conexant CX20561 (Hermosa) (Front Analog)>
        pcm1: <Conexant CX20561 (Hermosa) (Internal Analog)>

R500:

        pcm0: <Conexant CX20549 (Venice) (Analog 2.0+HP/2.0)>
        pcm1: <Conexant CX20549 (Venice) (Ext-Rear Digital)>

With sysctl as mentioned, the second one will work. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany

Re: No Sound

Steven Friedrich-4
On Friday, 14 September 2018 15:02:28 EDT Polytropon wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 11:45:57 -0400, Steven Friedrich wrote:
> > It's a SATA DVD and there are no headphone jacks on modern internal DVD
> > drives.  So there's no audio cable connecting the drive to any sound card
> > or header on the motherboard.  So that means there's no ability to
> > transfer analog audio, just digital audio, I believe.
>
> There are tools like cdparanoia that can "digitally play"
> from the CD drive, and you can also use mplayer to play
> CD audio the digital way.
>
> > I also can't get output from mplayer.  I'll try VLC next.
>
> If you don't have sound in mplayer, it likely won't happen
> that you get sound from VLC (or any other media player for
> that matter).
>
> > Also, no devices should up under KDE5 system settings Phonon page.  Is it
> > possible I didn't check all the phonon boxes when I built KDE5 from ports?
>
> I think Phonon is a default component of the KDE installation.
> But for now, don't bother with KDE. Always check the basics
> first, using the system tools.
>
> For example, using good old "mpg123 somefile.mp3" and then
> experiment with the mixer command. It _might_ be possible
> that you have to select a different output device using sysctl.
>
> Example: I have a Lenovo R61i and a R500. On the R61i, I can
> use the default unit (0), while I have to enable the setting
> "hw.snd.default_unit=1" in /etc/sysctl.conf on the R500,
> even though they seem to be using almost the same HDA codec:
>
> R61i:
> pcm0: <Conexant CX20561 (Hermosa) (Front Analog)>
> pcm1: <Conexant CX20561 (Hermosa) (Internal Analog)>
>
> R500:
>
> pcm0: <Conexant CX20549 (Venice) (Analog 2.0+HP/2.0)>
> pcm1: <Conexant CX20549 (Venice) (Ext-Rear Digital)>
>
> With sysctl as mentioned, the second one will work. :-)

OK, I've figured out the basics (mostly)
I have three possible outputs to choose from, i.e., pcm0 (rear analog), pcm1
(front analog), and pcm2 (HDMI/DP).
I can choose which touse with sysctl hw.snd.default_unit.
Which ever I set, I must use the corresponding mixer, i.e., mixer0 for pcm0,
mixer1 for pcm1, and mixer2 for pcm2.
I can hear sound out of pcm0 and pcm1 (rear and front analog), but I can't
hear any sound from pcm2 which goes to HDMI.
The man page for snd_hds says:
HDMI and DisplayPort audio may also require support from video driver.

Since I'm using syscons, I don't think this applies.
But it begs the question, is the audio supplied to both HDMI and DisplayPort
or is it selectable?
And is it digital or analog?

In summary, I can't get audio out to HDMI...

Re: No Sound

Polytropon
On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 01:49:51 -0400, Steven Friedrich wrote:
> OK, I've figured out the basics (mostly)
> I have three possible outputs to choose from, i.e., pcm0 (rear analog), pcm1
> (front analog), and pcm2 (HDMI/DP).
> I can choose which touse with sysctl hw.snd.default_unit.
> Which ever I set, I must use the corresponding mixer, i.e., mixer0 for pcm0,
> mixer1 for pcm1, and mixer2 for pcm2.

Excellent!

> I can hear sound out of pcm0 and pcm1 (rear and front analog), but I can't
> hear any sound from pcm2 which goes to HDMI.
> The man page for snd_hds says:
> HDMI and DisplayPort audio may also require support from video driver.
>
> Since I'm using syscons, I don't think this applies.

Correct. But... you mentioned that you're using FreeBSD 11.2,
and this should default to vt as the console driver, _not_ sc.
Anyway, I think in this case an X-related driver is meant.
And of course your video _hardware_ needs to support HDMI
audio. There are monitors which do not have this ability.
Some only offer an external audio connector (for headphones
or amplifier), and some have built-in amplified speakers.

> But it begs the question, is the audio supplied to both HDMI and DisplayPort
> or is it selectable?

Maybe there is a corresponding setting in your computer's
CMOS setup (BIOS or UEFI). I would _guess_ that the system
choses the one output (out of the available two) that has
a device connected to it as the default unit for output.
At least that would be a sane approach. But... sure, you
never know... ;-)

> And is it digital or analog?

In those two cases, the audio is transmitted as digital data,
if I remember correctly. Turning it back into usable analog
audio is the task of the hardware attached to the other end
of the HDMI or DP cable.

> In summary, I can't get audio out to HDMI...

Maybe this is helpful:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/sound-setup.html

There is a paragraph that deals with HDMI output, but the
task of _selecting_ it has been solved, so the question
that remains is: Why is there nothing to hear?

It is very important to check which graphics card your
system has (because that's the unit responsible for the
HDMI port), and see if there is a good X driver for it.
Of course sound and graphics hardware may actually be
inside the same chip, so "card" often doesn't apply.
It still seems to imply that HDMI sound playback is
only possible from within X...

Furthermore:

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/sound-over-hdmi.36130/

http://daemon-notes.com/articles/entertainment/htpc/app-a