Omega Zip Drives on FreeBSD 8.*

Al Plant-2

Aloha,

I need to get an old parallel Omega Zip drive to work on a freeBSD 8.*
to transfer some archives to new media.

I have a problem with getting the OS to read the Omega Zip drive so it
can be seen in dmesg to manually set the id correctly in /etc/fstab
Flash drives and floppies show up but not Parallel Omegas. My wifes MS
machine has no parallel input and my several FreeBSD boxes do but wont
find the hardware. I used to use Omega Zip under FreeBSD 4.11. Thought
these had been transferred years ago but they were only found recently.

Any suggestions appreciated.

~Al Plant - Honolulu, Hawaii -  Phone:  808-284-2740
   + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org +
   + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD  7.2 - 8.0 - 9* +
   < email: [hidden email] >

Re: Omega Zip Drives on FreeBSD 8.*

Adam Vande More
On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 6:59 PM, Al Plant <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I need to get an old parallel Omega Zip drive to work on a freeBSD 8.* to
> transfer some archives to new media.
>
> I have a problem with getting the OS to read the Omega Zip drive so it can
> be seen in dmesg to manually set the id correctly in /etc/fstab Flash
> drives and floppies show up but not Parallel Omegas. My wifes MS machine
> has no parallel input and my several FreeBSD boxes do but wont find the
> hardware. I used to use Omega Zip under FreeBSD 4.11. Thought these had
> been transferred years ago but they were only found recently.
>
> Any suggestions appreciated.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/zip-drive/article.html

Also at /boot/kernel/vpo.ko

--
Adam Vande More

Re: Omega Zip Drives on FreeBSD 8.*

Mike Jeays
On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 19:13:00 -0500
Adam Vande More <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 6:59 PM, Al Plant <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I need to get an old parallel Omega Zip drive to work on a freeBSD 8.* to
> > transfer some archives to new media.
> >
> > I have a problem with getting the OS to read the Omega Zip drive so it can
> > be seen in dmesg to manually set the id correctly in /etc/fstab Flash
> > drives and floppies show up but not Parallel Omegas. My wifes MS machine
> > has no parallel input and my several FreeBSD boxes do but wont find the
> > hardware. I used to use Omega Zip under FreeBSD 4.11. Thought these had
> > been transferred years ago but they were only found recently.
> >
> > Any suggestions appreciated.
> >

> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/zip-drive/article.html
>
> Also at /boot/kernel/vpo.ko
>

> --
> Adam Vande More

I am amazed anyone still has a working Zip drive! Both mine suffered from the click of death some years ago, round about when 4.11 was current. I would get any data off them and onto a CD/DVD as soon as possible. For me, they would make nice museum exhibits, but that's it.

Adam Vande More wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 6:59 PM, Al Plant <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     I need to get an old parallel Omega Zip drive to work on a freeBSD
>     8.* to transfer some archives to new media.
>
>     I have a problem with getting the OS to read the Omega Zip drive so
>     it can be seen in dmesg to manually set the id correctly in
>     /etc/fstab Flash drives and floppies show up but not Parallel
>     Omegas. My wifes MS machine has no parallel input and my several
>     FreeBSD boxes do but wont find the hardware. I used to use Omega Zip
>     under FreeBSD 4.11. Thought these had been transferred years ago but
>     they were only found recently.
>
>     Any suggestions appreciated.
>

> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/zip-drive/article.html
>
> Also at /boot/kernel/vpo.ko
>

> --
> Adam Vande More
###########

Thanks Adam,

I read the article and made a clean physical install and I now see the
vpo driver and the Omega Zip device in the  dmesg as da0. I have it in
the /etc/fstab file as da0s4 (which should work) I still can't access
the drive or the contents but at least it shows up now. Something to
work with.

~Al Plant - Honolulu, Hawaii -  Phone:  808-284-2740
   + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org +
   + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD  7.2 - 8.0 - 9* +
   < email: [hidden email] >

Re: Omega Zip Drives on FreeBSD 8.*

Mark Felder-4
Now would be an ideal time to dd the device to an image file and play with
that until you get it working. If your hardware or media fails as-is
you'll be rather disappointed :-)

Re: Omega Zip Drives on FreeBSD 8.*

Thomas Mueller
from Mike Jeays <[hidden email]>:

> I am amazed anyone still has a working Zip drive! Both mine suffered from the click of death some years ago, round about when 4.11 was current. I would get any data off them and onto a CD/DVD as soon as possible. For me, they would make nice museum exhibits, but that's it.

I never suffered the click of death as such, but my Zip drives (100 and 250, both SCSI) died in other ways.

Zip 100 drive, and also SyQuest SyJet drive, got to where they would just eject the disk a few seconds after insertion.

Zip 250 disk remained semi-functional after July 2001, the "semi" being that the Zip drive would not recognize a change of cartridge except by rebooting the computer, old directories would be kept.  This happened with Linux, DOS and OS/2 Warp 4, so it was a hardware issue.

I installed FreeDOS to a Zip 250 disk on an old computer (1995): took a bit over five hours because Zip disks are slow: glorified floppies.

SCSI was Trantor T130B, apparently supported by NetBSD but not FreeBSD >= 3.0.

My last chance to try to install NetBSD 4.0.1 on a Zip 250 was stopped when that old computer wouldn't power up, and with other things going/gone bad, that computer was clearly not worth the time, effort and cost of repair.  So it went to the cyber waste recycling center, including the Zip drives and disks, and the SyJet drive and disks.

I haven't used USB sticks as long as floppies or Iomega Zip, but USB sticks and hard drives look much better so far than Iomega Zip or floppies.

If I ever tried to install FreeBSD 8.x by copying the distribution files to floppies, no way would I be able to get enough good floppy copies with no better than 20% probability of success on each diskette image.

I believe Iomega discontinued the parallel-port Zip drive, subsequently the SCSI Zip drive, and the USB and ATAPI Zip drives were the last to be discontinued.

Tom

Thomas Mueller wrote:

> from Mike Jeays <[hidden email]>:
>
>> I am amazed anyone still has a working Zip drive! Both mine suffered from the click of death some years ago, round about when 4.11 was current. I would get any data off them and onto a CD/DVD as soon as possible. For me, they would make nice museum exhibits, but that's it.
>
> I never suffered the click of death as such, but my Zip drives (100 and 250, both SCSI) died in other ways.
>
> Zip 100 drive, and also SyQuest SyJet drive, got to where they would just eject the disk a few seconds after insertion.
>
> Zip 250 disk remained semi-functional after July 2001, the "semi" being that the Zip drive would not recognize a change of cartridge except by rebooting the computer, old directories would be kept.  This happened with Linux, DOS and OS/2 Warp 4, so it was a hardware issue.
>
> I installed FreeDOS to a Zip 250 disk on an old computer (1995): took a bit over five hours because Zip disks are slow: glorified floppies.
>
> SCSI was Trantor T130B, apparently supported by NetBSD but not FreeBSD >= 3.0.
>
> My last chance to try to install NetBSD 4.0.1 on a Zip 250 was stopped when that old computer wouldn't power up, and with other things going/gone bad, that computer was clearly not worth the time, effort and cost of repair.  So it went to the cyber waste recycling center, including the Zip drives and disks, and the SyJet drive and disks.
>
> I haven't used USB sticks as long as floppies or Iomega Zip, but USB sticks and hard drives look much better so far than Iomega Zip or floppies.
>
> If I ever tried to install FreeBSD 8.x by copying the distribution files to floppies, no way would I be able to get enough good floppy copies with no better than 20% probability of success on each diskette image.
>
> I believe Iomega discontinued the parallel-port Zip drive, subsequently the SCSI Zip drive, and the USB and ATAPI Zip drives were the last to be discontinued.
>
> Tom

#########

Thanks....

Of the 4 I had to play with one literally fell apart one scsi card is
throwing errors. The one I finally got working is an old IDE on a
FreeBSD 10 box that I experiment with. This should work fine to archive
the Omega disks we found.

  Again thanks for heading me on the right path.

from Al Plant <[hidden email]>:

> Thanks....

> Of the 4 I had to play with one literally fell apart one scsi card is
> throwing errors. The one I finally got working is an old IDE on a
> FreeBSD 10 box that I experiment with. This should work fine to archive
> the Omega disks we found.

>  Again thanks for heading me on the right path.

> ~Al Plant - Honolulu, Hawaii -  Phone:  808-284-2740

What fell apart?  Was it the Iomega Zip drive, the disk, or the scsi card?

I assume Omega is a typo or memory lapse for what should be Iomega?

IDE has given way on modern motherboards in favor of SATA, but current OSes would still have IDE/ATAPI support.

You might still be advised to backup or transfer the data on Zip disks to CDs, DVDs or USB sticks or hard drives.

Remember, Zip disks are just glorified floppies.

Tom

Re: Omega Zip Drives on FreeBSD 8.*

Andrea Venturoli
On 06/25/12 02:58, Mike Jeays wrote:

> I am amazed anyone still has a working Zip drive!

I have a SCSI one and I'm using it to backup some data (can't even
remember how old that is, 10 years probably, but never had any glitches).

I also have a couple of customers still using two or three such drives
(although they are probably fading them out).

  bye
        av.

[OT] Re: Omega Zip Drives on FreeBSD 8.*

Andrea Venturoli
On 06/25/12 04:58, Thomas Mueller wrote:

> Zip 100 drive, and also SyQuest SyJet drive, got to where they would
 > just eject the disk a few seconds after insertion.

I hope I'm remembering this correctly (this happened probably ten years
ago or so): I had an internal Zip drive which showed this behaviour as
soon as I mounted it, but it was very simple to fix.

My Zip drive had some sort of glue tape all around it at the front; this
tape was bended and locked some very small lever which ejected the disk:
unbending the tape was enough to get the drive working properly again.

  bye
        av.

Re: Omega Zip Drives on FreeBSD 8.*

Wojciech Puchar-5
>> To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
>
> I am amazed anyone still has a working Zip drive!

I have 250MB zipdrive and 100MB disks. all works properly over USB

Re: Omega Zip Drives on FreeBSD 8.*

Jakub Lach
In the next episode:

Modern home video with Betamax and LaserDisc ;)

Re: Omega Zip Drives on FreeBSD 8.*

Kaya Saman-2
On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Jakub Lach <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In the next episode:
>
> Modern home video with Betamax and LaserDisc ;)

What's wrong with VHS and Cassette Tape?

VHS has superior resolution to HD because it's analog!!

:-P :-P :-P

Thomas Mueller wrote:

> from Al Plant <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Thanks....
>
>> Of the 4 I had to play with one literally fell apart one scsi card is
>> throwing errors. The one I finally got working is an old IDE on a
>> FreeBSD 10 box that I experiment with. This should work fine to archive
>> the Omega disks we found.
>
>>  Again thanks for heading me on the right path.
>
>> ~Al Plant - Honolulu, Hawaii -  Phone:  808-284-2740
>
> What fell apart?  Was it the Iomega Zip drive, the disk, or the scsi card?
>
> I assume Omega is a typo or memory lapse for what should be Iomega?
>
> IDE has given way on modern motherboards in favor of SATA, but current OSes would still have IDE/ATAPI support.
>
> You might still be advised to backup or transfer the data on Zip disks to CDs, DVDs or USB sticks or hard drives.
>
> Remember, Zip disks are just glorified floppies.
>
> Tom

##############

Aloha,

Iomega yes. Button on front of one unit that released the disks played
fell inside when pushed and the plastic cover fell off the top. Dried
out from age probably.

We are going to put the diles on to flash drive and then onto cd's and
DVD's as many files are .jpg or artwork video etc.

Wojciech Puchar wrote:

>>> To unsubscribe, send any mail to
>>> "[hidden email]"
>>
>> I am amazed anyone still has a working Zip drive!
>
> I have 250MB zipdrive and 100MB disks. all works properly over USB
> "[hidden email]"

Aloha Woj,

How did you get the drive to work with USB? By a hardware adapter? I
read there is a USB to ide on the market.

from Al Plant <[hidden email]>:

> Aloha Woj,

> How did you get the drive to work with USB? By a hardware adapter? I
> read there is a USB to ide on the market.

I remember specifically that Iomega produced USB Zip drives, though not when they first produced SCSI, ATAPI and parallel-port Zip drives.

One problem with SCSI was so many different hardware interfaces in terms of number of holes/pins, meaning incompatibility.

Tom

Re: Omega Zip Drives on FreeBSD 8.*

Wojciech Puchar-5

>> How did you get the drive to work with USB? By a hardware adapter? I

i have USB drives. not an adapter