Outgoing mail server performance

TJ-2
Hi Guys,
i am looking for some advise to help get the best out of one of my severs.
It is a Dell PowerEdge R420,32GB,2x8c CPU and igb nics.
Its primary purpose is to send outgoing mail it can send up to 3 millon
emails a day and it running exim.

At the moment the only tweaks i have are:

*Loader.conf*
kern.maxproc=24676
ipc.maxpipekva=277118976
ipc.shmseg=256

*Sysctl.conf*
kern.ipc.somaxconn=2048
net.inet.tcp.sendspace=131072
inet.tcp.recvspace=131072
inet.udp.recvspace=131072
defer_swapspace_pageouts=1
maxfiles=262144
maxfilesperproc=131072
inet.icmp.icmplim=0
ipc.shmall=16384
ipc.maxsockets=65536
inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0
inet.tcp.msl=30000
inet.tcp.slowstart_flightsize=4
ipc.nmbclusters=65536
pmap.shpgperproc=400
pmap.pv_entry_max=18828980

I am relatively new to FreeBSD and would appreciate some pointers on
improving the performance of this server.

Cheers

TJ

Re: Outgoing mail server performance

Mark Felder-4
What kind of performance? CPU? Disk? Network? Do you need it to simply
send more mail faster?

Re: Outgoing mail server performance

TJ-2
Well the server is not peaking in CPU its using about 50% and still has
8GB of RAM free.
Yes, i need it to send more email faster and use all the resource that
it has.

Cheers

TJ

On Wed, 03 Jul 2013 13:02:03 -0500, TJ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well the server is not peaking in CPU its using about 50% and still has
> 8GB of RAM free.
> Yes, i need it to send more email faster and use all the resource that
> it has.

You will probably want to talk to people on the Exim lists because your
limitation is likely the inability for Exim to effectively use all
resources. I suspect they'll tell you that Exim isn't designed for bulk
mailing and there isn't much you can do except put your mail spool on a
ramdisk and cross your fingers.

Re: Outgoing mail server performance

TJ-2
I thought you might say that.
So is there nothing i can do on the OS side to make things a little faster.
Or general performance enhancements that would show some benefit?

On 03/07/13 19:27, Mark Felder wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Jul 2013 13:02:03 -0500, TJ <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Well the server is not peaking in CPU its using about 50% and still
>> has 8GB of RAM free.
>> Yes, i need it to send more email faster and use all the resource
>> that it has.
>>

> You will probably want to talk to people on the Exim lists because
> your limitation is likely the inability for Exim to effectively use
> all resources. I suspect they'll tell you that Exim isn't designed for
> bulk mailing and there isn't much you can do except put your mail
> spool on a ramdisk and cross your fingers.

Re: Outgoing mail server performance

Peter Pentchev
On Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 08:45:45AM +0100, TJ wrote:

> On 03/07/13 19:27, Mark Felder wrote:
> >On Wed, 03 Jul 2013 13:02:03 -0500, TJ <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >>Well the server is not peaking in CPU its using about 50% and
> >>still has 8GB of RAM free.
> >>Yes, i need it to send more email faster and use all the
> >>resource that it has.
> >>

> >You will probably want to talk to people on the Exim lists because
> >your limitation is likely the inability for Exim to effectively
> >use all resources. I suspect they'll tell you that Exim isn't
> >designed for bulk mailing and there isn't much you can do except
> >put your mail spool on a ramdisk and cross your fingers.
[format fixed, top-quoting considered harmful]

> I thought you might say that.
> So is there nothing i can do on the OS side to make things a little faster.
> Or general performance enhancements that would show some benefit?

It's not that there's nothing you can do, it's more that it's much, much
too early to say what might be improved.  A mail server (in any of its
incarnations) is a complicated piece of software (usually even several
complicated pieces of software) that does many things, uses many system
resources in many different ways at different times.

The advice to turn to the Exim mailing lists is good in that the people
there might be a bit more knowledgeable about this specific situation -
they'll probably know, for each stages of the e-mail "travel" process,
which system resources are used and how it may be improved.  They might
also know how to figure out which stage is the best target for speeding
up, etc.  Once you have this information, even if they are not very
proficient with FreeBSD and they cannot help you with the specifics,
*then* you may come back and people here will let you know how to
enhance the performance for that particular resource usage pattern.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev [hidden email] [hidden email] [hidden email]
PGP key: http://people.FreeBSD.org/~roam/roam.key.asc

Re: Outgoing mail server performance

Adrian Chadd-2
On 5 July 2013 00:45, TJ <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I thought you might say that.
> So is there nothing i can do on the OS side to make things a little faster.
> Or general performance enhancements that would show some benefit?

Where'd you acquire the above tuning parameters from?

You haven't provided any information about the actual environment
itself and how various things in your system are behaving, save "not
using all CPU." Without that, you can't make any decent guesses as to
what's bottlenecking, thus any tuning is likely just hand-wavy,
cargo-cult-y nonsense.

So, if you think you're supposed to be getting much more out of that
box, you should start by trying to identify why exim isn't sending as
much mail as you'd like. I'd start by speaking to the exim team(s) and
ask what kind of logging / profiling they have. There's a bunch of
steps being taken when sending each message through the mail pipeline
and you should see whether exim is capped at some artificial queue
depth, or number of processes, or something.

2c,

-adrian

Re: Outgoing mail server performance

Ivan Voras
On 03/07/2013 18:19, TJ wrote:
> Hi Guys,
> i am looking for some advise to help get the best out of one of my severs.
> It is a Dell PowerEdge R420,32GB,2x8c CPU and igb nics.
> Its primary purpose is to send outgoing mail it can send up to 3 millon
> emails a day and it running exim.

> I am relatively new to FreeBSD and would appreciate some pointers on
> improving the performance of this server.

Well, randomly tweaking things will not help you much.

Try running:

iostat -x 1

and

vmstat 1

for a non-trivial amount of time (>10 seconds) during your peek usage
(the times when you think you should be getting more performance) and
report their output.