PERFMON with Athlon breaks ata.

Stephen Hurd
A custom kernel compiled with options PERFMON and cputype=athlon when ran on
an athlon causes ATA to not probe devices on FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE.  dmesg
seems normal except the ata probe is never done, so the only boot devices
available is the floppy.

Just something I noticed in passing, not opening a PR since I'll never
follow this up.

Re: PERFMON with Athlon breaks ata.

Joseph Koshy
> A custom kernel compiled with options PERFMON and cputype=athlon when ran on
> an athlon causes ATA to not probe devices on FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE.  dmesg
> seems normal except the ata probe is never done, so the only boot devices
> available is the floppy.

AFAIR, "PERFMON" only supports Pentium and Pentium Pro CPUs.

--
FreeBSD Volunteer,     http://people.freebsd.org/~jkoshy

Joseph Koshy wrote:

>>A custom kernel compiled with options PERFMON and cputype=athlon when ran on
>>an athlon causes ATA to not probe devices on FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE.  dmesg
>>seems normal except the ata probe is never done, so the only boot devices
>>available is the floppy.
>>

>AFAIR, "PERFMON" only supports Pentium and Pentium Pro CPUs.

Yeah, wasn't sure... I know the Athlon has a performance counter, but
wasn't sure if it was supported etc.  Assumed not, but just thought I'd
mention it in case it's supposed to work.

Re: PERFMON with Athlon breaks ata.

Joseph Koshy
jk>AFAIR, "PERFMON" only supports Pentium and Pentium Pro CPUs.

sh> Yeah, wasn't sure... I know the Athlon has a performance
sh> counter, but wasn't sure if it was supported etc.  Assumed
sh> not, but just thought I'd mention it in case it's supposed to
sh> work.

The Athlon's performance counters are supported by the
hwpmc(4) driver in FreeBSD 6.x.  See pmcstat(8) for a simple
command-line tool and libpmc(3) for an API to use them.

--
FreeBSD Volunteer,     http://people.freebsd.org/~jkoshy