Problem with FreeBSD 6.2 and isdn4bsd

kabede84
Good morning,

I am trying to use an usb isdn modem with FreeBSD 6.2. I am not an expert. I
don't unstand if isdn4bsd is already installed on FreeBSD or I must compile
the source.
I Have use this source of i4b: http://www.turbocat.net/~hselasky/isdn4bsd/
I use make then make install. But don't create the device. Now I must
recompile the Kernel?

Thanks

--
Denis Beltramo

Re: Problem with FreeBSD 6.2 and isdn4bsd

Oliver von Bueren
Denis

Denis Beltramo wrote:
> I am trying to use an usb isdn modem with FreeBSD 6.2. I am not an expert. I
> don't unstand if isdn4bsd is already installed on FreeBSD or I must compile
> the source.
> I Have use this source of i4b: http://www.turbocat.net/~hselasky/isdn4bsd/
> I use make then make install. But don't create the device. Now I must
> recompile the Kernel?

What kind of "isdn modem" do you have? If it is one which has a built-in
AT command set and perhaps a PPP stack (like e.g. some ZyXEL ISDN TA's
have), you don't need ISDN4BSD.

There is one version of I4B installed on the system, but that one has
different features than the one HPS provides.

What do you like to do with your "modem"? Give us some more informatio,
which software you like to use with it and the like.

Anyway, if you like to install it and if it is one of the ISDN cards
supported by the I4B-Stack by HPS, then you should get the most recent
version by Subversion. Subversion can be installed as a package/port.

svn --username anonsvn --password anonsvn checkout
svn://svn.turbocat.net/i4b

You'll then find a README with the installation instructions. What it
does is, install itself into the kernel source tree, so you need at
least the kernel source on your machine. Next you have to get the
required device configuration into the kernel configuration file, which
is located under /usr/src/sys/i386/conf if you run a 32bit version of
FreeBSD. After that you are ready to compile the kernel and install it,
if all goes to plan.

       Oliver

Re: Problem with FreeBSD 6.2 and isdn4bsd

kabede84
Hi Oliver

my usb modem is: Draytek isdn Vigor 128 on a Freebsd 6.2
The operation that I excute are: install isdn4bsd from source of svn turbocat... then I have compiled the kernel.
The dmesg: show this: DMESG , i Have the usb attached.

I must "simply" call with this modem a dial up number an authenticate with pap, for navigate with this.

Are two days that I read documentation but don't undestand how to work.

Thanks and excuse for my english

denis

Re: Problem with FreeBSD 6.2 and isdn4bsd

kabede84
I have also an HAMLET USB IDSN 128.000 BPS code: HTAUSC_R.

Re: Problem with FreeBSD 6.2 and isdn4bsd

Hans Petter Selasky
On Wednesday 16 January 2008, kabede84 wrote:

> Hi Oliver
>
> my usb modem is: Draytek isdn Vigor 128 on a Freebsd 6.2
> The operation that I excute are: install isdn4bsd from source of svn
> turbocat... then I have compiled the kernel.
> The dmesg: show this:  http://www.nabble.com/file/p14878229/DMESG DMESG  ,
> i Have the usb attached.
>
> I must "simply" call with this modem a dial up number an authenticate with
> pap, for navigate with this.
>
> Are two days that I read documentation but don't undestand how to work.
>
> Thanks and excuse for my english
>
> denis

Hi,

I just committed a compile fix for FreeBSD 6.x

0) I assume that you have the kernel and userland sources installed
1) svn update
2) create and install the package
3) compile a new kernel with modules
4) reboot

That's it.

NOTE: Not all versions of the Draytek's are supported.

--HPS

Re: Problem with FreeBSD 6.2 and isdn4bsd

Hans Petter Selasky
On Wednesday 16 January 2008, kabede84 wrote:
> I have also an HAMLET USB IDSN 128.000 BPS code: HTAUSC_R.

Please post output from "dmesg" when you get the kernel compiled.

--HPS

Re: Problem with FreeBSD 6.2 and isdn4bsd

kabede84
Good morning,

I have create a package vi the new revision (568).
Then I Have compiled the kernel and installed on FreeBSD 6.2.
I have commented this line in Kernel config because /usr/sbin/config given an error: "config: Error: device "xxxx" is unknown"
This is the line that i have commented:
device isic
device iwic
device ifpi
device ifpi2
device itjc
device ifpnp
device i4bcapi
device iavc
device i4bq921
device i4bq931

Every line of device that are not commented have

device xxxxx 4

I must deleted a number because it given a sintax error.

This is my DMESG: DMESG

Thanks, excuse for my insistence.

Denis

Re: Problem with FreeBSD 6.2 and isdn4bsd

kabede84
Excuse for my question,

if isdn4bsd is properly installed when i link the usb isdn modem, isdncontrol must view? And dmesg output give a device how i4brbch and not how ugen0?

Thanks

On Thursday 17 January 2008, kabede84 wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> I have create a package vi the new revision (568).
> Then I Have compiled the kernel and installed on FreeBSD 6.2.
> I have commented this line in Kernel config because /usr/sbin/config given
> an error: "config: Error: device "xxxx" is unknown"
> This is the line that i have commented:
> device isic
> device iwic
> device ifpi
> device ifpi2
> device itjc
> device ifpnp
> device i4bcapi
> device iavc
> device i4bq921
> device i4bq931
>
> Every line of device that are not commented have
>
> device xxxxx 4
>
> I must deleted a number because it given a sintax error.
>
> This is my DMESG:  http://www.nabble.com/file/p14915686/DMESG DMESG
>
> Thanks, excuse for my insistence.
>
> Denis

Hi Denis!

Your dmesg looks good.

Did you include the "device ihfc" in your kernel config file ?

Could you install /usr/ports/udesc_dump

Then run "udesc_dump /dev/ugen0" and "udesc_dump /dev/ugen1".

I maybe need to add some VID/PID's to my database.

--HPS

Re: Problem with FreeBSD 6.2 and isdn4bsd

Hans Petter Selasky
On Thursday 17 January 2008, kabede84 wrote:
> Excuse for my question,
>
> if isdn4bsd is properly installed when i link the usb isdn modem,
> isdncontrol must view? And dmesg output give a device how i4brbch and not
> how ugen0?
>
> Thanks

It should show up like "ihfc63".

--HPS

Re: Problem with FreeBSD 6.2 and isdn4bsd

kabede84
Hi HPS,

yes I have writed into kernel config "device ihfc", this is my kernel config: Kernel

but it don't see any interface ihfc, when i attack the usb isdn there isn't any signals.

I have forgotten anything or in conclusion at this great discussion my modem are unsopported?
I don't understand now I must do for connect, if it's all ok.
What is that don't work? Now i must change any configuration, the anythings that i don't have make?

If my modem are unsupported what are an usb modem that are certainly supported?

If I search /dev/ihfc there isn't anything.

this is my dmseg: dmesg
and udesc_dump outputs: ugen0 ugen1

and this all my configuration for isdnd.rc and ppp.conf: isdnd.rc ppp.conf

THANKS!

Re: Problem with FreeBSD 6.2 and isdn4bsd

Hans Petter Selasky
Hi,

Your "ISDN USB TA" can be used with FreeBSD. The other not.

Please do an "svn update" and copy in the files you see that are changed. Then
compile a new kernel, and your ISDN adapter should work!

--HPS

Re: Problem with FreeBSD 6.2 and isdn4bsd

kabede84
It work!

Thanks! Now the Hamlet modem work. The Draytek no, but for me if go one it'ok!
Thanks HPS

Re: Problem with FreeBSD 6.2 and isdn4bsd now don't call

kabede84
Hello,

now with the contribute of HPS my modem isdn usb are recognized, but don't call.

When i attach it the light "power" go up an my dmesg see /dev/ihfc63.X. into /dev I have 3 device: ihfc63.0 ihfc63.1 ihfc63.2 . When i run the daemon isdnd the light isdn go up, but don't call  (whit ppp dial), the light b1 and b2 are off.
I have tried various configuration but i haven't any result.
Then I have try with minicom.... when i start minicom with device ihfc63.0 go up isdn light, ihfc63.1 go up the light b1, ihfc63.2 go up the light b2.

Another suggestion? ( I am very boring!!)

Thanks!

On Monday 21 January 2008, kabede84 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> now with the contribute of HPS my modem isdn usb are recognized, but don't
> call.
>
> When i attach it the light "power" go up an my dmesg see /dev/ihfc63.X.
> into /dev I have 3 device: ihfc63.0 ihfc63.1 ihfc63.2 . When i run the
> daemon isdnd the light isdn go up, but don't call  (whit ppp dial), the
> light b1 and b2 are off.
> I have tried various configuration but i haven't any result.
> Then I have try with minicom.... when i start minicom with device ihfc63.0
> go up isdn light, ihfc63.1 go up the light b1, ihfc63.2 go up the light b2.
>
> Another suggestion? ( I am very boring!!)

Hi,

You need an entry like shown below in your /etc/isdn/isdnd.rc :

#=================================================================
# User-ppp example
#=================================================================
entry
name                    = userppp0
usrdevicename           = rbch
usrdeviceunit           = 0
isdncontroller          = 63
isdnchannel             = -1
local-phone-incoming    = 1234567
remote-phone-incoming   = *
local-phone-dialout     = 1234567
remote-phone-dialout    = 1234567       # ppp(8) will override this
remdial-handling        = first
dialin-reaction         = ignore
dialout-type            = normal
b1protocol              = hdlc
idletime-incoming       = 0             # Should be larger than ppps timeout
idletime-outgoing       = 0             # Should be larger than ppps timeout
ratetype                = 0
unitlength              = 90
unitlengthsrc           = rate
dialretries             = 1
dialrandincr            = on
recoverytime            = 1             # Should be smaller than ppps redial
usedown                 = off
downtries               = 2
downtime                = 30

Hope that helps.

--HPS

Re: Problem with FreeBSD 6.2 and isdn4bsd now don't call

kabede84
Thanks, all work! You are very patient!

Bye

D.