Problems with eclipse

Franco Bruno Borghesi
Hi everyone.

Eclipse freezes one or twice a day on my freebsd 6.0/amd64. It seems that
libz problems are gone with last jdk15 update, but eclipse still has
problems. I've tested this on two different installations (same hardare/OS).

I have attached my last hs_err_pid file.

I would appreciate any hint anyone could give me.
Thanks.

[franco@ franco]$ uname -a
FreeBSD  6.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE #0: Wed Nov  2 19:07:38 UTC
2005     [hidden email]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

[franco@ franco]$ java -version
java version "1.5.0-p2"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build
1.5.0-p2-root_19_dec_2005_11_06)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 1.5.0-p2-root_19_dec_2005_11_06,
mixed mode)

hs_err_pid52964.log (11K) Download Attachment

Re: Problems with eclipse

Panagiotis Astithas
Franco Bruno Borghesi wrote:

> Hi everyone.
>
> Eclipse freezes one or twice a day on my freebsd 6.0/amd64. It seems that
> libz problems are gone with last jdk15 update, but eclipse still has
> problems. I've tested this on two different installations (same hardare/OS).
>
> I have attached my last hs_err_pid file.
>
> I would appreciate any hint anyone could give me.
> Thanks.

Once again the crash happens when the permanent generation in the heap
is almost full. It seems this happens to many people with jdk15 on amd64
and usually increasing the heap size does not help much (since the
permanent generation gets just a fraction of this). See if you can find
a useful combination of the flags discussed here:

http://java.sun.com/docs/hotspot/gc5.0/gc_tuning_5.html

Cheers,
Panagiotis

Re: Problems with eclipse

Franco Bruno Borghesi
2005/12/19, Panagiotis Astithas <[hidden email]>:

> Franco Bruno Borghesi wrote:
> > Hi everyone.
> >
> > Eclipse freezes one or twice a day on my freebsd 6.0/amd64. It seems
> that
> > libz problems are gone with last jdk15 update, but eclipse still has
> > problems. I've tested this on two different installations (same
> hardare/OS).
> >
> > I have attached my last hs_err_pid file.
> >
> > I would appreciate any hint anyone could give me.
> > Thanks.
>
> Once again the crash happens when the permanent generation in the heap
> is almost full. It seems this happens to many people with jdk15 on amd64
> and usually increasing the heap size does not help much (since the
> permanent generation gets just a fraction of this). See if you can find
> a useful combination of the flags discussed here:
>
> http://java.sun.com/docs/hotspot/gc5.0/gc_tuning_5.html
>
> Cheers,
> Panagiotis

Panagiotis, thanks for your help.
I just need to run eclipse, so I decided to downgrade to jdk14, so I can run
eclipse without problems.

Trying to build the port, I get:

[root@taz jdk14]# make
printf: missing format character
===>  jdk-1.4.2p7_2 is*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/java/jdk14.

I haven't found any answer to this problem in the archives. Does anyone know
how I can solve this?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Problems with eclipse

Panagiotis Astithas
Franco Bruno Borghesi wrote:

> 2005/12/19, Panagiotis Astithas <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     Franco Bruno Borghesi wrote:
>      > Hi everyone.
>      >
>      > Eclipse freezes one or twice a day on my freebsd 6.0/amd64. It
>     seems that
>      > libz problems are gone with last jdk15 update, but eclipse still has
>      > problems. I've tested this on two different installations (same
>     hardare/OS).
>      >
>      > I have attached my last hs_err_pid file.
>      >
>      > I would appreciate any hint anyone could give me.
>      > Thanks.
>
>     Once again the crash happens when the permanent generation in the heap
>     is almost full. It seems this happens to many people with jdk15 on amd64
>     and usually increasing the heap size does not help much (since the
>     permanent generation gets just a fraction of this). See if you can find
>     a useful combination of the flags discussed here:
>
>     http://java.sun.com/docs/hotspot/gc5.0/gc_tuning_5.html
>     <http://java.sun.com/docs/hotspot/gc5.0/gc_tuning_5.html>
>
>     Cheers,
>     Panagiotis
>

> Panagiotis, thanks for your help.
> I just need to run eclipse, so I decided to downgrade to jdk14, so I can
> run eclipse without problems.
>
> Trying to build the port, I get:
>
> [root@taz jdk14]# make
> printf: missing format character
> ===>  jdk-1.4.2p7_2 is*** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/java/jdk14.
>
> I haven't found any answer to this problem in the archives. Does anyone
> know how I can solve this?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately, jdk14 is only for i386, amd64 is only supported by jdk15.

Cheers,
Panagiotis

Re: Problems with eclipse

Franco Bruno Borghesi
What if I install a 32 bit compiled jdk15 (built in another freebsd machine,
athlonXP processor)... would the problem still exist?

Thanks.